Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-07-19-Portland] Buddy Rose & Ed Wiskowski & Fidel Cortez vs The Sheepherders (2/3 falls)

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1980-07-19-Portland] Buddy Rose & Ed Wiskowski & Fidel Cortez vs The Sheepherders (2/3 falls)
  • 4 years later...

1980-07-19
PNW
Buddy Rose, Ed Wiskoski & Fidel Cortez vs. The Sheepherders (Butch Miller & Luke Williams) & Jonathan Boyd
Best Two Out Of Three Falls Six Man Tag Team Match
Sports Arena, Portland, Oregon, USA
Card
★★

My first look at Boyd. He came out with a killer hat and jacket combo. Black with gold trim and a massive boomerang. That look must have gone down like gangbusters in 1980. Unfortunately when he took off the jacket and hat he looked like a crazy man from a trailer park who happened to own a singlet.
This was another example of the Sheepherders falling flat to me as faces. I appreciated that they kept some heelish elements to their work, indicating that just because they turned on Rose they weren’t suddenly completely different people, but they don’t inspire any real emotion or energy in me when they wrestle. In fact it was Boyd who looked the best on their team, as he at least had some oomph to his attacks.
The best part was Rose bouncing around like a maniac for Boyd in the second fall and the heels generally being vicious on the outside when opportunities arose and I thought that the mask switch at the end between Rose and Wiskoski to steal the final fall was an interesting twist.
Ultimately though there were too many nerve holds and claws from both Cortez, Wiskoski, and even Rose. Slow pace. The in-ring work was generic, had a slow pace and nothing really stood out.