Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-10-25-Portland] Buddy Rose vs Jonathan Boyd (2/3 falls)

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1980-10-25-Portland] Buddy Rose vs Jonathan Boyd (2/3 falls)
  • 4 years later...

1980-10-25
PNW
Buddy Rose vs Jonathan Boyd
Non Title Best Two Out Of Three Falls Match
Sports Arena, Portland, Oregon, USA
★★
Card

This feud continued from the previous week. I’ll admit I pretty much hated the first fall. Too often we get a strong shine from the face and the heel just hands it over, there’s no struggle whatsoever. This was the case here with Rose. He tried to stall briefly at the beginning, but he foolishly turned his back and Boyd jumped him and then we got essentially a squash with Boyd beating the daylights out of Rose for several minutes and Sandy Barr counted SLOW for the pin.
What makes this all the more frustrating is that Rose obviously has the offensive chops when let loose to do so. He snuck some tape into the ring to start the second fall, and began it by choking Boyd. Later on after a missed knee drop from Boyd he smelt blood and he targeted the injured leg relentlessly until Boyd had to capitulate.
Rose tried to continue on the leg in the third, but Boyd managed to turn the tide and  ended up wrapping Rose’s leg around the ringpost, which was enough for Rose and he bailed, handing the victory to Boyd.
I wish there was more struggle in the first fall, even if it was inevitable that Boyd was going to take the majority of it, I at least wanted him to fight for it. We also got a cheap finish, but it played into Rose’s character, even if it’s disappointing from a match perspective. Another key factor is that I just don’t find Boyd that likeable as a face. He’s ok, but not great on the microphone. I’ve seen him stumble here and there, plus occasionally he veers into unsavoury territory, even for 1980, and I just don’t get how I’m supposed to get behind him in this feud. I’m actually enjoying these matches the most when Rose is kicking the shit out of him.