Pro Wrestling Only

WCW in 2001

The other day, I was thinking about the demise of WCW and how the promotion would have been had the Bischoff deal gone through. I was wondering what you all thought the future might have held for WCW in 2001. Keep in mind Bischoff would have had to have been a lot smarter with money since Fusient didn't have the unlimited resources Turner/Time Warner had. I think the promotion's roster would have been very interesting since they probably would have had the "brand names" (as Bischoff liked to call them) on top, such as Hogan, Nash, Sting, Goldberg, but also Bob Sapp (who they signed but never wrestled on TV), Sam Greco (an Australian kickboxer), possibly Sabu and RVD (who Bischoff showed interest in signing), a big push for Sean O'Haire (I've read Bischoff was real big on him), plus the cruiserweight division with new guys like AJ Styles, Kid Kash, Jason Jett (who I thought was awesome), Chris Daniels, and more. I think WCW in 2001 had the potential to be a really good promotion, or at the very least as good as they were during the early nWo era. What do you guys think?

P.S. I think I might also post this at TSM and DVDVR, so if you see this post there (I have different names at both boards) don't think I plagiarized.

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

WCW started getting good again towards the end. I was a big van of Jason Jett's work there for the last month or so. Put on some very entertaining contest. They had a solid roster of workers, and Scott Steiner was still having reasonable to good matches in mainevents.

A mainevent roster of

Scott Steiner

Booker T.

Goldberg

Diamond Dallas Page

Mike Awesome

Sting

Isn't too bad, pretty solid actually. Lance Storm could've been U.S. Champion, and worked the entire mid-card around him.

The Tag Team division was solid too. Rey and Kidman, Chuck and Sean, Skipper and Romeo, The Yung Dragons, 3 Count etc...

A lot could've been done with WCW.

WCW would be back on top by now if WWE had run the same inconsistent crap it's run for the past few years and they probably would have had an exodus of talent to WCW again. Most of the talk I've seen from Bischoff suggests that he really did learn from his mistakes, but it was just too late when he finally realized what was going on. JOHN FREAKIN' MUSE was also signed on to start booking. For those of you who don't know, Meltzer has been praising him for years as having a terrific booking mind who he wished worked in one of the Big Two. Bischoff apparently called Meltzer asking for suggestions for bookers, and Meltzer recommended him.

They would have had an uphill battle for sure. 1999 was a really horrible year for WCW, despite there being some good wrestling. 2000 is probably the worst year I think any wrestling company has ever had, both in terms of booking and wrestling. There was little that was more uncool or frustrating to the average wrestling fan at the time than watching Nitro and Thunder, so Bischoff knew it was going to take 2+ years at that point to turn things around. Changing the name of the company, giving all the PPVs a new name, and cycling in some fresh talent on top, all of which were planned, would have helped things.

Had Fusient managed to purchase WCW and had Jamie Kellner not cancelled wrestling on TBS and TNT, certain plans were in store for WCW in 2001. The promotion would have been dark during April 2001 and then relaunched in May 2001 with a PPV called The Big Bang. At this show Goldberg, Sting, DDP, Kevin Nash and possibly Hulk Hogan would have all returned. Cyrus would have debuted as heel announcer and there was talk of bringing in Road Dogg and potentially Rob Van Dam down the line.

During late 2000 and early 2001, WCW had done a great job of positioning Scott Steiner as a strong heel World Champion. Terry Taylor has said that the plan was to keep Steiner strong by feeding him babyfaces through out the remainder of the year. Meanwhile the plan was to have Goldberg mow down heels on a march to title contention. Goldberg and Steiner would be kept far apart in the storylines for much of the year to create maximum impact for a showdown match Starrcade '01.

During late 2000 and early 2001, WCW had done a great job of positioning Scott Steiner as a strong heel World Champion. Terry Taylor has said that the plan was to keep Steiner strong by feeding him babyfaces through out the remainder of the year. Meanwhile the plan was to have Goldberg mow down heels on a march to title contention. Goldberg and Steiner would be kept far apart in the storylines for much of the year to create maximum impact for a showdown match Starrcade '01.

The problem with that is that Steiner was injured in March 2001 and missed most of the year.

Guest Famous Mortimer

It is strange to think...I remember the cruiserweight tag division, it may not have been a fully worked-out idea but they had some good, exciting matches and could have developed further. Dunno about the main men, but the folding of ECW would have meant they could have run an Invasion angle of their own...god, I wish I had a time machine and a bunch of money. Or one of the two.

Guest DylanWaco

Another name that needs to get tossed out there as a guy who would have put out some quality in the heavyweight ranks is Bill Demont. Yes he had an awful gimmick, but he had alot of fun matches in that last little period and I'm sure he could have and would have had some really fun bouts with guys like Mike Awesome and DDP for a while thereafter.