Pro Wrestling Only

Riflewillie's thoughts and picks for WM21

Guest riflewilly

Guest riflewilly

WWE Women's Championship

Trish Stratus vs Christy Hemme

Well, I wanna go with the obvious choice and say Christy will win, but I think it is too soon for her to win the title and they need to maybe build this fued for maybe two more months and have Stratus drop it at Badd Blood. Of course....it won't work that way so I will just go with my gut.

Winner:Christy Hemme

Big Show vs Akebono

WTF???????? Why would they destroy an almost flawless pay per view with such a pointless match. I mean...this will probably be the only time I flip through the channels or go for a sandwhich. I don't wanna even pick a winner but.....I must so I will choose a winner and leave it at that.

winner: ugh......Big Show

HBK vs Kurt Angle

This should be one of the best matches of the night! A great all around superstar against a great technical wrestler. They will put together what I like to call "A Heart Stopper" (Yeah, I'm sure someone else has used that phrase but I am using it now). I believe these two men will put on a performance better than the Stone Cold and Bret Hart match from Wrestlemania 13. That's right, I have said it! I have had the winner in mind from phase 1 if the fued and he will be a valuable asset to Smackdown if he goes over!

Winner: Shawn Michaels

Randy Orton vs Undertaker

As much as The Undertaker is my all time favorite wrestler, I honestly don't see him lasting much longer! I think they are gonna try to push Orton back up the card with a win against "The Phenom". I mean, I have seen this coming ever since Randy Orton gained the moniker of "Legend Killer". So I am going with Orton 100%

Winner: Randy Orton

Money in the Bank Match

Edge vs Benoit vs Benjamin vs Kane vs Christian vs Y2J

I love ladder matches. I know they aren't really preserving the old days of pro wrestling, but they are just so damn exciting! This one will be no different except for one thing......The absence of Matt Hardy. Even if he does still have some things going on with Adam Copeland, he should have still been able to participate in the match. Him and Adam are way too smart to let that get in the way of putting on a great match. I honestly think both men would have put their differences aside and fought the match. Now that Matt will most likely be going back to Smackdown, things will never be the same but the outcome of the match is now changing because of that and I am gonna go with Kane as my chocie for match winner. (NICE GOING EDGE! JERK!!!!)

Winner: Kane

WWE Championship

John Cena vs JBL

Come on...do you honestly think john Cena is gonna lose after all of this hype. I think he will win and then make the WWE Championship a spinner belt too. No, I wouldn't go that far. But he will win the title!

Winner: John Cena

World Heavyweight Championship

Batista vs HHH

I believe, like everyone else that Batista will win the Heavyweight title from HHH. I also believe like everyone else that There will be a Kane vs Batista match in the following months. Finally, I believe that HHH will either go to Smackdown the week after Mania or he will have the World Heavyweight title back around his waist by August. It's all about the backstage politics.

Winner: Batista in the best match of the night!

Now I know there is a rumored Eddie vs Mysterio match and maybe even Chavo vs Paul London and You all know how Pipers Pit is gonna end.( STUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) So I won't even go into that ,but all in all I believe it will be a great card! I highly urge you all to watch it. I don't think you will regret it. Also if you can, I would appreciate comments. Just reply below. Until next time.......

----Riflewilly

Guest Some Guy

WWE Women's Championship

Winner: Hemme

Who should win: Trish, she can work and is entertaining. Hemme is useless.

Big Show vs Akebono

Winner: Does anyone give a shit?

Who should win: Big Show, I suppose since he's a WWE wrestler.

HBK vs Kurt Angle

Winner: HBK

Who should win: It doesn't really matter given the age and injury status of both guys neither will be effected by a win or loss very much.

Winner: Orton

Who should win: Orton, he needs to regain some credibility after HHH beat him twice on PPV and his crappy face turn.

Money in the Bank Match

Winner: Kane

Who should win: Shelton, he too needs a big win to gain credibility. The guy is the IC champ, in case people forgot, which is understandable considering his lack of push and TV time.

WWE Championship

John Cena vs JBL

Winner: Cena

Who should win: Cena, but I have my doubts about his ability to stay over after the win. He is not a good worker and isn't big enough to do Goldberg style squashes. Every time he steps in the ring without a mic he is exposed.

Batista vs HHH

Winner: Batista

Who should win: Batista, but onlyif they do it right. If the match goes longer than 10 minutes Batista might as well hand thebelt back over to HHH after the show is over so they don't waste a few months of him floundering as champ before dropping it back to HHH.

WWE Women's Championship

Such is the state of the Women's title when Christy Hemme gets a title match. At least they're trying to get their money's worth out of her, and she really seems into the business.

I guess Christy's going to win here with help from Lita, but Trish will probably win it back on RAW within a couple of weeks. Kinda makes Trish the less-bearded-and-smaller-breasted version of HHH.

Big Show vs Akebono

Why didn't they do this match in Japan, where it would have been over huge? I guess they're banking on their being enough asian wrestling fans in LA for this to not be a total embarrassment.

I'm guessing Akebono wins. I doubt he's going to fly across the Pacific just to to a job.

HBK vs Kurt Angle

I swear, this match has the worst build up in history. Kurt's mad because people asked him about HBK in 1996? It makes him look like a doofus waiting 9 years to do something about it. I'm going with HBK here since he always wins if HHH isn't involved.

Does anyone think Orton's the guy who should end Taker's streak? I mean, not even HHH could do it. Ending the streak should mean something, it shouldn't be done by someone who'll just go back to being HHH's chew toy. I'm calling for Taker to win.

Money in the Bank Match

If they want the IC belt to ever mean anything again, Benjamin has to win here. I think Kane's only in the match to provide bump opportunities for everyone else in the match, I don't see him winning since he doesn't need to.

WWE Championship

John Cena vs JBL

Cena has to win here or he'll offically be this era's Lex Luger. Something tells me they might not want both top belts to change hands in one night (since it would take some luster off of Batista, and Vince is such a mark for JBL) but I still think they'll do what's smart and put Cena over.

Batista vs HHH

If this match is booked any way other than Goldberg vs Hogan was, it's going to expose Batista and ruin his chances right out of the box. The question is, has HHH and the WWE created the Ronnie Garvin Effect for anyone who wins the RAW title? It's at the point now when even Marky McMarkerson knows that HHH never goes without the belt for long.

By the way, how sad is it that neither brand's tag team champions have a match yet, and if they get one it'll be on Heat or a shoehorned multi-team match?

Guest Some Guy

HBK vs Kurt Angle

I swear, this match has the worst build up in history. Kurt's mad because people asked him about HBK in 1996? It makes him look like a doofus waiting 9 years to do something about it. I'm going with HBK here since he always wins if HHH isn't involved.

I think the build has been pretty good so far. Angle really didn't wait 9 years, he waited 2 1/2. Shawn's only been back since Summerslam 02 adn Kurt has been busy with Brock, Show, JBL, Eddy, and few others in that time. This is the only time that he is free of any feuds and can challenge HBK. I think it makes sense in a storyline that Angle would be jealous of HBK for stealing his spot light in 96, but realistically if any wrestler was stealing his spotlight in late 96 it was Hogan and the nWo.

By the way, how sad is it that neither brand's tag team champions have a match yet, and if they get one it'll be on Heat or a shoehorned multi-team match?

How sad is it that I can't even be bothered to remember who the SD! champs are. Rey and Eddy, right?

Guest The Metal Maniac

Women's title: Probably Christie, but I really don't care.

Big Show/Akebono: They'll probably find some way to make it a draw so that neither guy looks bad.

HBK/Angle: Angle should win. Actually, he should catch the superkick and turn it into an anklelock for the tap-out.

Taker/Orton: I'm all for someone ending Taker's streak, but not Orton. I figure, they've given him enough stuff to work with, and if he's still not over, then he's just not that good. Let someone else have this next year. Also, I would mark out hardcore if 'Taker kicked out of the RKO and did the Zombie Situp.

MitB: Um...hard to call. Probably Kane, unless they wanna fuck with everyone's head by having Christian sneak out the win. In any case though, the match should end with Shelton and Benoit beating the crap out of each other, so they can feud.

WWE Title: I think that JBL might win actually, in a huge crazy brawl that involves the entire cabinet; well, maybe not win, but leave with the title, in any case. Why? Because they've never had both world titles switch at WM, and I think Cena has a better chance of having the fans follow him. What I mean is, Cena is over because people seem to like the character; Batista is over because people think he's gonna beat HHH. If Batista loses to HHH, his heat will die the second the three is counted. People will just stop caring about him, because he's just another guy who might have beaten HHH, but didn't.

So I don't think he can afford to lose. But I think the fans would be more willing to get behind Cena in a big return match at Backlash, when he takes the title.

I was reading riflewilly's comments and was disturbed by a few things...

WTF???????? Why would they destroy an almost flawless pay per view with such a pointless match.

There are alot of flaws with the PPV so far with or without this match. However, I agree that it is pointless.

This should be one of the best matches of the night!

Agreed, but that is because of the weak match-ups, not because of the participants... which brings me to...

A great all around superstar against a great technical wrestler.

This has already been dissected 100 times. HBK is not really great anymore if he ever was... and Angle is not a great technical wrestler. The gaps in his logic are huge. You need to look no further then the way he sets up his finisher. Oh wait, he doesn't.

I believe these two men will put on a performance better than the Stone Cold and Bret Hart match from Wrestlemania 13. That's right, I have said it!

I think this is crazy. That is probably the best match in Mania history and these guys aren't as skilled or as healthy as Bret and Austin were in early-97.

As much as The Undertaker is my all time favorite wrestler, I honestly don't see him lasting much longer!

God, I hope not

I know they aren't really preserving the old days of pro wrestling, but they are just so damn exciting!

It isn't really about preserving classic wrestling. It is about using the ladder logically and to have spots that work within the context of the match. Sadly, most ladder matches don't usually do that... instead you get a spotfest.

Also, they aren't always exciting. Witness Edge and Christian's ladder match from 2001 and be bored!

The fact that Benoit and Jericho are in THIS match is a huge flaw with the booking.

So I won't even go into that ,but all in all I believe it will be a great card!

I will have to disagree. On paper, this looks like it could be one of the worst Manias ever. Maybe an Eddie-Rey match could improve it somewhat but how much time would they give them? I have absolutely zero faith in HHH-Batista, Taker-Orton, the women's match, or Cena-JBL to be any good. The ladder match will probably be a mess and is a waste of talent. I am sure that when Angle-HBK is finished, many will procalim it MOTY but I think most will be let down by this match.

I highly urge you all to watch it. I don't think you will regret it.

I think I would regret spending $50 on this card. Maybe if I can catch it for free at a local sports bar but this may be the first Mania I miss watching live since 13. You may want to save your cash until the replay becomes available and see what kind of mess you are getting into first.

Guest The Metal Maniac

You need to look no further then the way he sets up his finisher. Oh wait, he doesn't.

Actually, if the Anklelock was sold right (it's not) there'd be no reason for him to set up his finisher. He should be able to break an ankle like that with little/no effort, so they've gotta tap out not just because it hurts, but because he's gonna break their ankle if they don't.

Of course, the move is never sold like that, but I just wanted to be picky.

Not that I expect the next Savage-Steamboat, but JBL has been wearing his work boots the last couple of PPVs. If the ladder match ends up being total spot-fu, it wouldn't be crazy to suggest JBL-Cena could end up being a show stealer as long as you don't go all Scott Keith and prejudge the match before it even starts.

Actually, if the Anklelock was sold right (it's not) there'd be no reason for him to set up his finisher. He should be able to break an ankle like that with little/no effort, so they've gotta tap out not just because it hurts, but because he's gonna break their ankle if they don't.

Of course, the move is never sold like that, but I just wanted to be picky.

Fair enough but if the move isn't sold right, and it is certainly hardly ever applied right, for whatever reason, it is still a shitty finisher.

Not that I expect the next Savage-Steamboat, but JBL has been wearing his work boots the last couple of PPVs. If the ladder match ends up being total spot-fu, it wouldn't be crazy to suggest JBL-Cena could end up being a show stealer as long as you don't go all Scott Keith and prejudge the match before it even starts.

It's not JBL I am concerned about. I think Cena will be the weak link. Unless they go all out bloody brawl, I don't think the match will be good.

That's the biggest problem with the internet today. It's also the reason why people write cards off before they actually happen.

Not quite. You can usually look at a card and tell if it will be shitty or not. You can also look at the track record of the last several PPVs and see the mediocrity. They still have some solid matchups they could exploit but chose not to for whatever reason. The rumored Eddy & Jericho vs. Benoit & Rey (or some variation of the 4) match would have been a great start. Eddy vs. JBL. Eddy vs. Benoit or Jericho. Benoit vs. Benjamin. You can go on and on. Please, tell me what matches you think are worth paying $50 for on this card.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Fair enough but if the move isn't sold right, and it is certainly hardly ever applied right, for whatever reason, it is still a shitty finisher.

Agreed. Of course, I hate the way all submission moves are used these days. I swear, they'll lock in a move that's supposed to be deadly, and the guy will just sit in it for 5 minutes like it was a freaking headlock. It REALLY annoys me that Angle only ever seems to get submissions with the Anklelock when the guy realizes he can't counter it anymore. People should be tapping out because a move HURTS, not because they can't reach the ropes anymore.

Please, tell me what matches you think are worth paying $50 for on this card.

The ladder match, right now, seems to be the only match worth any money, as far as I'm concerned. It should be a good match, considering that it is Wrestlemania, and they probably will go all out. If they do put Eddy/Rey on there, then that would be worth some $$$ too. $50? Maybe not.

I think the fact that it's WWE's flagship show makes it worth the price. To be honest, I'd watch it regardless of what the card was. It's always neat to see the set, a packed house, and everyone trying harder than usual. It could be worse. Remember the rumored Snitsky/Heidenreich Vs. UT/Kane match?

The ladder match looks good. So does HBK/Angle, from a workrate standpoint. I'm also curious if they'll let Orton beat UT. Seeing as how I don't get Smackdown locally, all of their matches will be entertaining.

Is it worth $50? No, but I don't think any card that anyone could make from any wrestler during their prime in any era is worth that much. You could make the best, longest, biggest super card of all time and I still wouldn't drop fifty bucks on that ass. That's what friends are for. Reduce the cost of the shit and bring the enjoyment level up.

By the way, give me the babyface in every single match, and I'll probably be pretty close to getting all of the winners correct. Afterall, it's Wrestlemania, the blow-off show.

Guest Some Guy

Agreed. Of course, I hate the way all submission moves are used these days. I swear, they'll lock in a move that's supposed to be deadly, and the guy will just sit in it for 5 minutes like it was a freaking headlock. It REALLY annoys me that Angle only ever seems to get submissions with the Anklelock when the guy realizes he can't counter it anymore. People should be tapping out because a move HURTS, not because they can't reach the ropes anymore.

I agree with you to a degree. But if everybody tapped out within seconds of being put in the anklelock it would take away any drama to the match. Take the SD! match with Angle and MJ. If Marty tapped the secind Angle put the hold on the match would have been flat, as it was with 2 escapes it was exciting.

I fully agree with GH about Angle not setting up the finish at all. I've seena few matches where he works the leg, but not very many. He's kind of fallen into the "Taz psychology" of suplex, suplex, submission move. The slam is a more fitting move for his style with all the high impact suplexes that work over the back. With Taz (since I'm a big mark for him) I always chaulked up the wierd psychology to him wanting to "humiliate" his opponent by making him tap to the choke (which can't really be set up) and I'm tempted with Angle but the ankle lock can be set up with some simple leg work. Angle is still a great WWE style worker, much the same way HBK is. Their psychology mightnot be airtight as Bret Hart circa 97 but they put on very entertaining matches for the most part.

Guest The Metal Maniac

My thing is though, if the guy is going to get out of the hold, he should get out RIGHT AWAY. None of this "Angle puts in the hold, they make the ropes, he pulls them back, they struggle for a few minutes, then he counters" crap.

Ideally, I'd like to see Angle go for the hold, but they counter it before he gets it fully locked in, or maybe they get the ropes in a few seconds. I dunno, it'd be okay for a guy to sit in the hold for a little bit if it was on PPV or something, but when it happens all the friggin' time, it makes the move look like crap.

I didn't see Jannetty/Angle though, so I dunno how the move was sold there, for the record.

They did the "how long can Marty hold on" thing last night with the ankle lock.

I used to get worked up over WWE not having their wrestlers sell submissions properly, but I just resigned myself to the fact that they think a quick tap out makes the victim look weak. Hell, the only time I can ever recall a quick submission by a non-jobber was the Bret-Perfect match and even that was because Curt's back was legit fucked up.

For that matter, WWE is so overprotective of certain people I'm surprised they haven't eliminated submissions completely.

Guest Some Guy

Everybody but Taker has tapped at some point in the relatively recent past. Taker may have during his American Bad Ass phase, but I doubt it. I frankly don't think they are protective enough of some talent. Batista, Shelton, Benoit, RVD, and others have been/are being exposed for their weaknesses while their strenghs aren't being pushed properly.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Taker may have during his American Bad Ass phase, but I doubt it.

Taker tapped to a triangle choke by Angle in some SD match. Of course, he pinned Angle at the same time.