Pro Wrestling Only

Bret Hart / Hulk Hogan - 1998

Smack2k

Was fuckin around on the interwebs tonight and found something interesting written by a user stating that Bret Hart wasnt used right away by Bischoff as he was waiting until he really needed him to put him in the spotlight, once the WWF got closer in ratings as they were beginning to do in early '98. He goes on to further state that after April 20, 1998 when Hart comes in and helps Hogan win the WCW Title from Savage by knocking out Kevin Nash and pulling Hogan on top of Savage, that the idea was that they would start there and work their way through 98 to a Hart vs. Hogan Match at Starrcade '98, with Hart at first aligning with Hogan, then obviously splitting and going after him, with part of his thing being that he helped Hogan win, and deserved a shot at the title, or at least at Hogan...

Any truth to this at all? I am guessing no as it makes too much sense as something good they could have done during the second half of 98 when the Main Event was beginning to dive due to dumb shit happening. That and the fact I've NEVER seen it anywhere else (does Bret mention it in his book? I dont remember).

If its true, where did it change and why? Guessing Hogan would have stopped it, but that is just speculation...

Hogan / Hart feud along with Goldberg's rise and eventual feud with Nash could have kept things MUCH better in WCW for a while longer...

Not booking Bret Hart vs Hulk Hogan in a major PPV match for a first time meeting was a huge gaff by WCW, for sure. It could have been huge in early 1998 when both were hot. They filmed videos (which did air) in late 99 of Bret talking about the fact that he had never had a match with Hulk and it's what he wants from WCW, but obviously that led nowhere.