Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-04-21-WWF-MSG, NY] Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood vs Bulldog Brower & Tor Kamata

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1980-04-21-WWF-MSG, NY] Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood vs Bulldog Brower & Tor Kamata
  • 4 years later...

1980-04-21
WWF
Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood vs Tor Kamata & Bulldog Brower
Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA
Card
★★★

Wow this was shockingly good. I just wanted to check out Steamboat & Youngblood because it seems like footage of them in ‘80 is scarce and this is their MSG debut but damn, they worked their asses off here. Really glad I checked this out.
There have been some great babyface selling performances in ‘80 up to this point but Steamboat popping up kind of puts everyone else to shame in comparison. Mention should go to the Martels and the Brunos of the world, but I would say only Terry Funk could really hold a candle to this. Steamboat here made Kamata and Brower look like absolute killers and it was clear they were just throwing shit at him. He was bumping around, he timed his comebacks superbly, he threw in a couple hope spots, there was delayed selling, I mean, he just ran the gamut of everything you would want really. Youngblood was no slouch either when he came in and the two of them were just an injection of energy into the WWF tag team division. I need to know how long they stick around because apart from Patterson & Andre, who were always going to be primarily singles competitors, I can’t think of another tag team that can match them as a whole.