Pro Wrestling Only

Buzz Sawyer

goc

I searched to see if there was previously a Microscope Thread on Buzz Sawyer and didn't see it so I thought I'd go ahead and start one. I've been watching a little bit of 1983 Georgia that I came across and Buzz comes off as seriously dangerous and unhinged. I'm not sure there are too many other people in wrestling who come across as just plain DANGEROUS as Buzz during this time period, probably because it wasn't much of a work.

Other than the now widely known Jim Duggan match from the Mid-South WWE DVD, are there any really good Buzz Sawyer matches to seek out? I know the Last Battle of Atlanta match with Tommy Rich is kind of the holy grail of unearthed (most likely non-existent) footage but is there anything to really seek out from his time in Japan or short WCW run?

One of the most interesting things about Buzz watching the Georgia footage is how he's not ALWAYS "The Mad Dog". Sometimes he's calm and gives these very subdued promos that really add to the character and even to his sense of danger. You see him calm for a bit but you know that at any moment he can completely flip and become the The Mad Dog. Gordon eloquently referred to them as the moments when Buzz is "the eye of the hurricane."

I think the most interesting aspect of Buzz, as I mentioned, is his relationship with Ole where he's almost like a well-behaved little boy when the old man is talking, then something will upset him or set him off. He's quite easily tormented though, and what's interesting is that it's often his own paranoia. Tommy Rich and Butch Reed aren't really doing many psychological plays, it's almost all in Sawyer's own head ... apart from that fucking box!

Definitely looking forward to exploring a lot more Buzz with the upcoming Titans special on Georgia and whatnot. I've come across a few things that have caught my eye recently. I recall "seeing" the Buzz/Duggan matches AND the Buzz/Reed Dog Collar stuff before, yet I honestly don't remember actively WATCHING or paying attention to any of it. Must have just been my mindset at the time.

Buzz always reminded me of that friend who has too much to drink when you go out and is always looking for trouble. Some kind of scuffle happens and you all leave, but he's still wound up and ready to throw down hours after everyone else has calmed down. So you just give him more beer and hope that he passes out.