Pro Wrestling Only

[1950-04-14-Kohler Chicago] Hans Schnabel & Fritz Schnabel vs Benito Gardini & Rudy Kay

Loss

Benito’s weight at 235 was a Sapphire reaction from me as he has a good bit of pudge. They promote this tag as an Australian Rules tag which seems like a basic tag match structure we are familiar with now except each team mate has to be pinned. Davis is all about Benito marking out at everything he does. His impersonations here are atrocious and constantly annoying adding in dialogue to the match. Benito was a good bit of fun mixing in some comedy spots to pop the crowd by crawling through Fritzs’ legs. Good sequence by Benito escaping with a head scissors and then following up with a crisp hip toss.

Rudy is tagged in and starts working the arm. Hans tries to pull Fritz to the corner but gets chastised by Davis on commentary. Rudy isn’t exactly doing a ton on this arm drag. Davis says that both feet must be on the floor like in billiards. Hans comes in and faces off against Rudy and the match losses a good bit of steam. Hans does have some good strikes and he takes Rudy down and rides him. Rudy does his best spot of the match not doing the cleanest of breaks and hitting a double stomp. He then follows it up with a nice flying mare and Hans takes a breather. Great moment as Hans gets spooked by Benito when he ends up in the wrong corner. Rudy keeps going back to that flying mare and Benito looks for approval from the crowd to kick Hans on the apron. He settles for a forearm and Rudy hiptosses him in twice.

Benito finally tags back in after causing havoc on the apron. Fritz gives a weak backbreaker then picks Benito up. He then delivers a backbreaker to Hans’ knee to win the first fall. Hans and Fritz paste Rudy in their corner in a nice sequence. One big body press gives them the first fall. Fun finish.

Second fall starts with Benito floating over and headlock. Hans turns it into a front facelock and they spill out to the floor. They spill to the floor again to the delight of the front row. Benito throws Fritz in. “Come on in Fritz, the waters fine.” Benito spills Hans over the top rope and Rudy goes for a spinning toe hold which Hans goes to the ropes for. Rudy and Benito cover Hans quickly. Fritz gets spilled over and the heels are showing all sorts of ass in this fall. Benito and Fritz do a no sell hip toss exchange and Benito hits a forearm smash and big splash to win the second fall.

Third fall never gets going as it is bedlam with all four guys fighting and the referee throws it out. This wasn’t an awful finish as things did build that way from the first fall. This was my favorite match overall of the three I have seen. I want to see more of Benito.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Didn't think this was very good. It was like a less boring version of an MSG jobber match. They did stuff, some it pretty cool stuff, but they didn't really make any of it feel meaningful or build any sustained heat. Odd decision as well to have all 3 falls happen in quick succession at the end, but I wish they showed more flashes of how they were working at that DQ finish during the actual match.

• Loss changed the title to [1950-04-14-Kohler Chicago] Hans Schnabel & Fritz Schnabel vs Benito Gardini & Rudy Kay