Pro Wrestling Only

KENTA

Grimmas

His massive drop-off since signing with WWE is surprising and sad, but match-for-match he has to have one of the best, if not the best, resumes out there for that 2004-2014 singles break-out period. That 2004 10 match series of him vs. heavyweights just produced banger after banger, the 2009 run is probably one of the best years anyone has had since 2000, and his 2013 GHC run was highly underrated with him getting good-great stuff out of a variety of opponents of sometimes questionable quality. The 2008 Sasaki singles match is also secretly better than any of the 2008 Kobashi/Sasaki tags.

The more I revisit his work, the more I'm convinced the criticisms of him stem more from the performances of the guys he'd frequently partner with/wrestle (Marufuji, Kanemaru) instead of the man himself. Highly technical and hurty looking kick-based offense, realistic selling that he knew how to vary depending on move/opponent/stage of the match, underrated character work as a young punk with a chip on his shoulder. Basically a total package who excelled working 2 very different roles within 2 styles at the same time (ace of the juniors divison + overmatched little man in the heavyweight division). 

I also think the Nakajima singles series really needs to be re-evaluated. I've written a detailed review of 3/1/09 on GME already, but basically I feel it's a match that combines insanely high athleticism with remarkably deep match-to-match psychology and bodypart selling that's been unfairly maligned by people who can't look past predisposed ideas of how body parts should be sold. Their other matches didn't seem far behind to me in terms of greatness either.

He's one of those few guys that, at his best, he looks like the best ever. Even though he's far from his peak now, sometimes he just puts an amazing performance that makes you remember why you loved KENTA some day (his G1 match with Ospreay a few days algo being the latest example). He has a chance of making my list, but it depends on how long I consider his peak to be: 2004-13 sounds a bit too much for me, but idk, maybe?

Big fan of the infamous Nakajima match, as well. Even with the leg selling issues, I don't think it's anything less than extraordinary. 

• 2 weeks later...