Pro Wrestling Only

The Rock & Roll Express

JazeUSA

I can't find a thread for them so I'm starting one. Is there ANY doubt that this team is one of the top 10 tag teams off all time? They stayed near the top or on top of every territory that they ever worked in, they left there mark in Memphis, Mid South, NWA/WCW, SMW, & had great showings in the AWA & WWF. I always thought Ricky carried the team & Robert was lucky to just have a spot but thats just my opinion, what do you guys thing of the Rock & Roll? I think it is an absolute abortion that they are not in the Observer Hall Of Fame!

The Rock n Roll were underguys in Memphis. Lawler created them to run spot shows for the company. For example The Fabs would work Nashville on Saturday night , while Morton/ Gibson Saturdays were spend working small towns in Eastern Arkansas . Jarrett send them to Watts because he did not want them. In memory serves me right Morton/ Gibson went to Watts , while Keirn/Lane went to the AWA. Jarrett tried to push Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert as the New Fabs. Man did that bomb at the box office. Of course Rich and Gilbert broke up and had their famous feud in an effort to salvage things .

Anyway , Bill Dundee 's booking and getting out of the Keirn/ Lane shadow.allowed Morton to become a money draw in Mid- South . Robert Gibson happen to be in Memphis when a secondary team was needed by the office. Gibson could have easily been replaced by Terry Taylor , Bobby Fulton , Tommy Rogers , etc. Morton's selling was the key . Morton had really honed his craft. He worked in teams with Ken Lucas and Sonny King before paired with Gibson. Robert had basically filled the same role while teaming with his brother , Ricky .

It always amazed me that Jarrett sent Ricky Morton and Bobby Eaton to Watts . He never got them back. I was also shocked that the R n R Express had more sucess than The Fabs on the national level. I guess the Jackie Fargo angle made the Fabs in Memphis . Anywhere else they were just another good team .

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't the Rock & Rolls come back to work the feud with Savage and Poffo in mid-1984? They also came back early in 1985, right?

Yes they came back and worked with the Poffo's for 2 or 3 weeks. I don't recall any 1985 matches. They did come back around 1987 foe a few weeks to feud with the Midnight Rockers , this was during the time they had a falling out with JCP .. Morton came back in the early 90's for a couple of months. They never returned for a long run , just a few shots here and there/

I always feel that Jarrett missed the boat on Morton . Ricky could have been a big draw as a single in Memphis.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not, but I think the difference here may be that while Booker was always a good to great wrestler Morton is one of the best of all time. It's kind of like being on the same team as Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, or Wayne Gretzky; you can be pretty darn good but you're still going to be overshadowed because of the terrific work of the other guy.

• 6 years later...

Going to be doing a 2 hour look at Ricky and Robert for my podcast series to some younger fans who have only seen their newer stuff.  What would you suggest as the definitive matches to show?  I want to include Memphis, Mid South, Crockett, WCW, SMW and something from the last few years as well.  Suggestions very much needed.  I know the opponents I'd pick but not which are the best of those matches.