Pro Wrestling Only

Best Big Man In Wrestling

Mad Dog

The Undertaker vs. Pillman, Vader, Sting, Ricky Steamboat, the Steiners, in 1992 could have rocked instead of having an endless series of casket matches with Kamala around the horn.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

I've enjoyed 2 of Angles matches against Kane (I think one was a RAW in late 01 and another was a Smackdown in Feb of 02, don't quote me on that though), but the WM 18 match stunk. Taker/Angle from Smackdown 03 (or was it 04??) was one of the best WWE matches of that year, IMO, and Taker was a big reason for that, and I recall him selling the ankle particularly well.

While escapism is a part of making money, making money isn't necessarily dependant on escapism. Shawn Michaels' kip up breaks the suspension of disbelief which in theory should bring fans out of the match because it doesn't make sense to the internal storyline, but most of the fans are two busying popping and being excited to care. This is irrelevant, though. The notion that wrestling and wrestlers shouldn't be stiff because wrestling is "fake", while a generally accepted rule, isn't one that is defined by what wrestling "is". It is a bi-product of it.

Yeah, but no one paid to see HBK wrestle when he was champ. He just gets pops and thats it.

Honestly, I never really had a problem with Hogan Hulking Up. He was this really big dude and could snap on someone without warning. It was when he'd kill other wrestlers finishers that would bother me the most about him.

Shit, now I'm going to need to go back and watch the SD! Taker/Angle match you mentioned since I actually enjoyed it the first time around. Thanks RRR.

Taker/Angle from Smackdown 03 (or was it 04??) was one of the best WWE matches of that year, IMO, and Taker was a big reason for that, and I recall him selling the ankle particularly well.

It was Smackdown '03 (in September). It's also on the Taker DVD. And now you got me wanting to re-watch it.

IT'S ON THE TAKER DVD?!??

Shit, I might actually have to buy that.

Yep, and so are a couple other gems, such as Taker-Hart (both SS and ONO, but the latter is the important one) and Taker-Brock HIAC, which is just about the only HIAC match I enjoy watching these days.

I'm not going to lie, I loved MMA 'Taker. I was happy when he got an Undisputed title run too. I remember really enjoying his ladder match with Jeff Hardy. He started doing a lot of different spots that I liked too. Hell, I remember when he beat TBS with a triangle choke. Now that was believable.