Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 59

Sorry this is later than usual this year, and it was rather spur of the moment on our part, but we had a blast doing it.

On Episode 59 of The Wrestling Culture podcast, Dylan and I returned to talk this year's WON Hall Of Fame Ballot. Sadly, we forgot to debate whether Undertaker's disqualification win over Giant Gonzales at Wrestlemania IX only occurring after Gonzales used ether puts El Gigante on par with Brock Lesnar in HOF discussion.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=112658&cmd=tc

Dylan, does Hugo's time as a color commentator for the WWF/E work on his favor for a HOF mention? Even though his last 3-4 years were very mediocre (he was more interested in talking about Jesus and how we could be saved by god than the matches he was calling) he was very much the voice of WWE for a huge portion of the latin audience. He was like Bobby Heenan for us.

I don't know enough to answer that. I can't see it as a negative really, but not sure if it's a positive. But as lead announcer, key office guy, on air translator and major manager who was linked to Abby and had to carry heel promo work for English speaking faces (as did Chicky, who I regard as one of the great heels in wrestling history) I think he has a very interesting case based on PR alone

Yeah. I haven't seen much from Puerto Rico but from what I've seen it's been pretty surreal watch him do exactly what he said he did when he was commentating for the WWE. I always thought he was kayfabing to make it seem he was a big deal but he actually was one. I'd love to see him on the ballot.