Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-17-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Guardian Angel vs Vader

PeteF3

Vader vs. Guardian Angel (Bash at the Beach 1994) - As good if not better than the previous match but it has a super dog shit ending. If this was the 1980s sets, we would accept it and just move on but it would be on a set somewhere. People may be less forgiving because it is 19 fucking 94. Still AWESOME match leading up to the finish.

This wasn't at the level of Stampede, but this was a nice gritty sequel anyway. Vader busts out a spin kick (!) among some other new tricks, and the Angel responds with some awesome punches and power spots. Race hands Vader a telescopic baton, but the Angel gets it and gets disqualified just for holding it. Laaaame--and Schiavone makes sure to beat us over the head with the idea that he's a Guardian Angel and thus would NEVER use a nightstick. The limitations to wrestling brought upon by the use of the Angel name, and the problems therein, are already coming to light.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-17-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Guardian Angel vs Vader
  • 1 year later...

I heard so many things about Bossman being an underrated big man over the years, but as I'm only mostly familiar from his work from '98 onwards, so I've always thought that these claims were shrouded by nostalgia. Watching his matches with Vader has sold me on the guy. This wasn't as good as the Stampede match, but they hold nothing back. On top of seeing Vader doing a moonsault, he also hits a spinning wheel kick. The DQ finish wasn't the best, but what can you do? 

★★★

• 1 year later...

Vader vs Guardian Angel - WCW Bash At The Beach 1994

The rep is that the Spring Stampede match rules and everything else drools, but I thought this rocked pretty hard. Bossman has a fucking killer right and it is on full display here. When he is not socking Harley Race, he is levelling Vader. These were some of the best rights this side of Huntsville. I was Ooooohing and Aaaaaahing. I liked that each time he clobbered Harley that was the opening Vader would use to resume his offense. Vader obviously can give as good as he gets. The spinwheel kick in the beginning popped me. It was enough that Bossman could hit a tremendous back suplex and popped the crowd huge with the bodyslam. This was a very Japanese style bomb throwing, heavyweight bombfest. Great heavy blows and big time offense. Vaderbomb followed by the Vadersault, but Vader lands too hard on his knee to follow up. Harley sees his man down and gets press slammed off the top! The patented Bossman baseball slide into the right hand to a standing Vader looked great. I am pretty sure there was a Bossman clothesline in here that just ruled. The ref gets bumped. Vader has a baton. The ref comes to and sees Bossman with it and calls for the DQ. Fucking Bill Watts Big Uglies Meaty Power Wrestling is my favorite style. This shit will never get old, doesnt right reach Stampede heights and the finish sucks, but everyone should still watch this because it is 8 minutes of testosterone injected directly into your veins. ***1/2