Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestle Kingdom 9 Reaction Show w/ Will, Dylan, Pete, Johnny and Johnny P

Loss

From Dave

Wrestle Kingdom 9 drew 36,000 fans to the Tokyo Dome, which was a paid number. It will most likely be the second biggest crowd for pro wrestling in the world this year. It’s also the biggest for New Japan’s annual 1/4 show in at least 13 years. A Nagata vs. Jun Akiyama interpromotional main event in 2002 drew a sellout. There were two shows since then which had 40,000 or more in the building, but this show had more actual tickets sold as they were no significant papering.

To me, it’s still a slight disappointment. Advance sales were far ahead of last year, up 50% as of a few weeks ago. But the final tally was almost identical to last year’s 35,000. In many ways, while the product is hot by modern standards of pro wrestling, it’s feels hotter when you watch the shows than it really is. It’s more that New Japan is a promotion that has its really fervent fans what attend the big shows, but rank and file shows are really not much bigger than a strong U.S. indie group, and it’s not mainstream. They present a great product, from the in-ring to the booking, and business is growing, but the lack of mainstream exposure gives then a certain ceiling.

Dave doesn't seem to understand they put a limited number of tickets on sale.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably best not to generalize on that.

I'm glad people have something they can enjoy and identify with, especially after the week WWE and TNA had.

You are right, sorry.

It's the vocal minority.

It probably is, and that's why I made sure to say certain fans in my initial comment. Those fans are tiring though, and they give the rest of the fanbase a bad name.

Don't you think you've made the odd provocative statement?

Probably best not to generalize on that.

I'm glad people have something they can enjoy and identify with, especially after the week WWE and TNA had.

You are right, sorry.

It's the vocal minority.

It probably is, and that's why I made sure to say certain fans in my initial comment. Those fans are tiring though, and they give the rest of the fanbase a bad name.

Don't you think you've made the odd provocative statement?

Not really, just stated my opinion.