Pro Wrestling Only

Vince, Cena, and the Company Ace

(BP)

Regarding The Rock, part of the falling out was Vince getting pissy over him playing a gay man in Be Cool.

Made more ironic by the fact that Elmore Leonard based that character specifically on The Rock and although the movie tanked and was critically panned. The only performer to get good reviews across the board The Rock. Despite people heavyweight character actors like Harvey Keital and James Woods being in it.

I remember hearing about Vince's reaction at the time, and it really struck me as completely out of touch, not to mention offensive. Surprising too, with Pat Patterson being Vince's trusted lieutenant for all those years, so you'd think Vince would be a little more open-minded. It just goes to show, for all of Vince's aspirations to be seen as mainstream entertainment, he was and is way behind-the-curve. He doesn't get it at all.

It probably doesn't help matters that Backlund is either the most committed to his gimmick guy in the history of wrestling or he's legit insane.

I hope it's the former.

Probably the former. It is wrestling, and Backlund comes from the era where kayfabe was protected at all costs.

I have never heard the story of Vince disliking Rock's role in Be Cool. What did he think? Was it anything more than "WWE's top star shouldn't play a gay man because fuck you, that's why"?

Also, what is the story behind his contract not being renewed in 2004? What happened? Was Vince upset because he was spending so much time away in Hollywood? Was it his own decision, or did disgruntled full-time wrestlers talk him into it?

They called it an "administrative oversight." I think they'd rather look like TNA's front office than admit Rock had them by the shorthairs and they couldn't make him happy.

I remember reading in the Observer, possibly a direct quote, that Dwayne was surprised "the old man" didn't get in touch about a new contract.