Pro Wrestling Only

NJPW May 2015 ppv

shoe

This is per the Observer and it looks kind of mediocre. Match 5 and 7 really need to deliver. I have confidence in match 2,4, and 9

The next New Japan PPV show will be May 3 from the Fukuoka International Center Arena. The A.J. Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada title match is being held back until July 5 at the Osaka Jo Hall show.

1) Yuji Nagata & Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask & Mascara Dorada vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan & Ryusuke Taguchi & Kushida

2) Tetsuya Naito & Sho Tanaka vs. Kota Ibushi & Yohei Komatsu

3) Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga & Cody Hall

4) Three way for IWGP jr. tag titles: Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero defend against Young Bucks and Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish

5) Kenny Omega defends IWGP jr. title against Alex Shelley

6) Michael Bennett & Matt Taven & Maria Kanellis vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows & Amber O'Neal

7) Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba & Tomohiro Ishii

8) Kazuchika Okada & Yoshi-Hashi vs. A.J. Stles & Yujiro Takahashi

9) Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Hirooki Goto for IC title

• 2 weeks later...

This is the televised house show on the way to the ppv.

Sho Tanaka vs. Tiger Mask

This was just a meat and potatoes match that was helped by Tanaka's selling. I enjoyed TM kicks to Tanaka's bad leg. 2*

Yohei Komatsu and Mascara Dorada vs.Roppongi Vice

This was a blast. Dorada got a big reaction off of his performance from the last big show. I thought Dorada and Komatsu complimented each other well with Dorada's beautiful high spots and Komatsu's fire and agression. As a match this was a load of fun. We got Schtick, great highspots,, athleticism, and a good story in the ring. I was so glad Dorada caught Romero in the rope spot. 3*

Yuji Nagata and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Captain New Japan and Manabu Nakanishi

What the fuck. Nakanhishi and Nagata are Baron Sciluna and Dominic Denucci in 1982 WWE. Actually Nagata is more Pedro Morales. I enjoy Taguchi so much more in his role as tag worker. His stuff seems much more paleteable. 1 1/2*

Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Cody Hall, and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. KUSHIDA, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima

Omega really needs to keep his momentum. Here he looked pretty great, but had flashes of goofyness. Kushida and Omegas pairing off was tremendous. Kushida's FIP work was really well done. I loved Kojima kickking Hall's ass. A real good finish to boot. 3*

Tetsuya Naito and Tomoaki Honma vs. Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows
I've said in the past that Naito and Honma could make a great tag team. I loved the Gallows/Naito/Honma comedy spot. This was solid stuff, but really could have been better. 2 1/2*
Bad Luck Fale and Tama Tonga vs. Gedo and Kazuchika Okada
This was ok. I thought Okada looked good. Gedo was fun, but felt kinda aimless overall. 1 3/4*
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Katsuyori Shibata & Kota Ibushi & Hirooki Goto & Togi Makabe vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba & Yoshi-Hashi
This was a strong match. The attention to detail, and all the moments really made this. 1st off we get the Nakamura/Goto pairing. I also loved how Nakamura still had unfinished business with Ibushi and that he's still on his radar. I loved the Shibata/Sakuraba moments throughout and feels like they have a big time great match in them. Makabe and Ishii was exactly as expected. I enjoyed the Tanahashi/Yano stuff. The tag to the ref was so great. Nick Charles would have been impressed. The battle of hair pu;ling was tremendous. Then Tanahashi going FIP as a result of Yano was great. They start building to a hot finish. This was all a big false finish till they went to the direction they wanted. 3 1/2*
Final thoughts on the show. An easy thumbs up show for a houseshow. I thought the wrestling was done well. Nothing too shitty, and 3 matches that got 3* or better for me.