Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-28-AJPW-Excite Series] Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Masanobu Fuchi

dawho5

I thought this match started absolutely great. Fuchi kept ramping up the violence as it went to the point where it gets really, really uncomfortable. By the end I actually wanted the match to end so Kikuchi's neck and spine might live to see another day. Maybe it's the knowledge that Misawa met his end because of stuff like this, but it got hard to watch Kikuchi keep getting up. Great stuff leading into the finish and I imagine there are those who don't mind the finish.

• 6 months later...

I was like you, Who. Fuchi had to have dropped Kikuchi on the back of his head at least ten or twelve times in the span of five minutes, and while I'd forgotten about Misawa and how he was killed, I wonder if Kikuchi wasn't eventually knocked out legitimately, and also if the finish was planned the way it was or if, for the lack of a better term, Fuchi's needle got stuck. I'm not suggesting for a second that he was shooting, but sometimes in the heat of a moment guys get in a rut. Of course, if the finish was planned Fuchi seemed like the most despicable man on Earth for trying to splatter Kikuchi's brains all over the Pacific.

Kikuchi looked good early with his fast start, and I thought that he'd finally get the dominant win I've been waiting for him to get since 1990. Unfortunately, the passage of fourteen months since the end of the '91 Yearbook doesn't seem to have changed his place in the pecking order much. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing his growth throughout 1992.

• 4 months later...

A bizarre, brutal and infamous match. It was all over the shop. Went 10m but felt way longer due to the intensity. Fuchi is a sadistic torturer with his favourite subject at hand. Poor Kikuchi has his brains scrambled by 10 brutal backdrops. It was quite hard watching him getting beaten up so badly, even though it's always fun seeing him take a hammering. The urban legend is that he was never the same after this night. The guy was definitely a can short of a 6 pack. My advice to any young wrestler is that it's better to give than to receive. Those with little offence usually have to take a pounding to have good matches.

• 2 years later...

Short, violent match, with Fuchi brutalizing Kikuchi with at least 10 backdrop suplexes. Fuchi tries to bully Kikuchi early on but Kikuchi ain’t having it and I really loved Kikuchi's early run. Believable early nearfall off the German suplex hold, Fuchi busted open and reeling. Then Fuchi starts torturing Kikuchi with the backdrops and it's...tragic. I mean, Kikuchi is trying to survive, hooking the leg to block another attempt or grabbing the ropes, but Fuchi keeps backdropping him and there's this sad final visual of Kikuchi crawling around the mat, looking for a way out, before Fuchi continues to backdrop into oblivion. These two have such great in-ring chemistry but watching Fuchi's hyper-aggressive onslaught is really something to behold.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-28-AJPW-Excite Series] Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Masanobu Fuchi