Pro Wrestling Only

More Christian goodness

goodhelmet

I created a new topic because the last one discussed more of a role Christian would play in TNA whereas this one focuses completely on his name and how it will affect him and how the WWE is going to react.

Stolen from tOA....

Word Mark CHRISTIAN CAGE

Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment in the nature of wrestling contests; Entertainment services in the nature of a wrestling club; Entertainment services namely live, televised and movie appearances by a professional entertainer; Entertainment services, namely, personal appearances by a professional wrestler. FIRST USE: 19950630. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950630

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 78745579

Filing Date November 2, 2005

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Owner (APPLICANT) William Jason Reso INDIVIDUAL CANADA c/o BWCS Sports/Media 9242 Beverly Blvd., Suite 200 Beverly Hills UNITED STATES 90210

Attorney of Record Eric J. Goodman

Type of Mark SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

And he also owns...

Word Mark CAPTAIN CHARISMA

Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment in the nature of wrestling contests; Entertainment services in the nature of a wrestling club; Entertainment services namely live, televised and movie appearances by a professional entertainer; Entertainment services, namely, personal appearances by a professional wrestler. FIRST USE: 20040930. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20040930

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 78745757

Filing Date November 2, 2005

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Owner (APPLICANT) William Jason Reso INDIVIDUAL CANADA c/o BWCS Sports/Media 9242 Beverly Blvd., Suite 200 Beverly Hills UNITED STATES 90210

Attorney of Record Eric J. Goodman

Type of Mark SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Guest Some Guy

I'm assuming that the Dudleyx, like Spike signed over the rights to the name when they signed with WWF.

As far as "Captain Charisma," I can't imagine that WWE doesn't have that trademarked. They made a shirt with the phrase on it, which I'd say is a pretty good indication that they own the name.

Marvel owns the Hulk Hogan name, due to WWF billing him as "Incredible" Hulk Hogan when he first started with them. It's also why he changed to Hollywood Hogan, WCW got tired of paying Marvel.

Christian should be able to call himself Christian Cage at least in TNA, since it's easily proven that the name predated his WWF run.

Guest Some Guy

Marvel Comics owned the name at the time (Hogan owns it now). Bret Hart owned his name, Savage his, Jake Roberts his, etc...

It's a different situation. Christian began using the gimmick in WWE, not before, like the guys I mentioned and didn't have a trademark (or attempt to trademark it) before he left the company. I'm pretty sure that WWE owns it, but I hope for Reso's sake that they don't. I like the gimmick, if fits Christian's gimmick perfectly, and it was probably his idea.

Isn't it established that if a guy can prove he used a ring name before entering WWE, that they can't claim ownership? Isn't that the reason they always tried to give everyone a new WWE-owned gimmick even if they were better known as someone else before?

Christian was wrestling as Christian long before entering WWF/E, I don't think they can claim that as WWE property.

Guest Some Guy

It would explain why they stopped selling the Captain Charisma shirts before he left. Even when they were selling them, they were hard to find at house shows. They didn't have any at the house show I went to in Vancouver.

That's probably because they either didn't think they would sell or were afraid that they would sell too well and that they might just have to consider pushing aguy who they didn't deem worthy.

Guest bravesfan

He trademarked Captain Charisma as a performing name.

Captain Charisma is already trademarked as a merchandising entity to a non-WWE company or individual, which would explain why they stopped marketing the moniker a few months back.