Pro Wrestling Only

NJPW Super Junior tournament and Dominion

shoe

Lineup for the next New Japan World show on 5/22 from Korakuen Hall

Jushin Liger vs. Yohei Komatsu

Tiger Mask vs. Nick Jackson

Alex Shelley vs. David Finlay III

Barbaro Cavernario vs. Chase Owens

Hirooki Goto & Togi makbe & Hiroshi Tanahashi & Katsuyori Shibata & Tomoaki Honma vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba & Yoshi-Hashi

Rocky Romero vs. Bobby Fish

Baretta vs. Kyle O'Reilly

Mascara Dorada vs. Kushida

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Gedo

All singles matches are part of the Best of the Super Junior tournament

New Japan Dominion on 7/5 at Osaka Jo Hall

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano

Kenny Omega vs. Best of Super Junior tournament winner for IWGP jr. title

Michael Bennett & Matt Taven vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows for IWGP tag title

Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii for Never title

Hirooki Goto vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for IC title

A.J. Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada for IWGP heavyweight title

Both cards look interesting.

I hope Komatsu gets some wins in this tourney and pieces together something of a run.

Cavernario v. Owens is one of those "how the fuck is this really happening" matches, that I assume will be a trainwreck, but I want to see it anyhow.

Dorada v. KUSHIDA could be great.

I'm most excited to see Liger v. Cavernario in the tourney, I hope it makes tape.

New Japan Dominion on 7/5 at Osaka Jo Hall

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano

Kenny Omega vs. Best of Super Junior tournament winner for IWGP jr. title

Michael Bennett & Matt Taven vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows for IWGP tag title

Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii for Never title

Hirooki Goto vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for IC title

A.J. Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada for IWGP heavyweight title

Both cards look interesting.

This makes it look like they are moving Invasion Attack away from being the #2-3 show of the year (depending on where G-1 Finals slot) and moving this in. I can't fathom anyone wanting to see Togi vs. Ishii AGAIN as the NEVER title really needs some juice added back to it. Rest of the card seems to be the blowoff for a lot of the stuff the first half of the year to propel into the second half.

A few potentially fun Mascara Dorada matches in the B block with KUSHIDA, Shelley, Romero and Fish (and to a lesser extent, Nick Jackson). The Liger/Cavernario match is on the last day of the tournament and at Korakuen so it would be somewhat surprising if that show wasn't on either New Japan World or Samurai TV. Block B seems destined to come down to KUSHIDA and Shelley, especially since they are wrestling on the final day of the round robin. Block A is sort of wide open. Maybe Liger makes it to the finals with one last run (that would definitely get over) or maybe they spotlight someone like O'Reilly (O'Reilly/KUSHIDA would be a fun final). No semi's this year it looks like.

Dominion is definitely stacked. In addition to not having any interest in seeing Ishii/Makabe again, the Goto/Nakamura rematch doesn't do much for much for me. Also doesn't seem to make a lot of sense from a booking standpoint. If Nakamura is going to win the title back, I don't see the point in the initial switch unless they wanted it off of him for the US ROH tour because he's going to lose a match or two (not very likely). I guess if Nakamura is going to win the G-1, he can lose to Goto twice in a row and then Goto can challenge for the Dome title shot in the fall or something. Really looking forward to Shibata/Sakuraba.

I followed every show I could last year, and Kushida killed it all summer. Hoping he gets to shine again this year, and actually wouldn't mind seeing Shelley make up for his missed time in last year's tourney. Don't expect him to make it too far in the field, though ya never really know.

Seems to me like every year Liger is participating, you almost have to soak it in & appreciate a little more than the last time around.

I like Trent... well enough, anyway. And I'm on the O'Reilly bandwagon, big-time. But pitting them against each other in the opening round feels like a waste to me. Could be a throwaway match on just about any super indy card. Meh.

I was gonna question the idea of running the NEVER Title rematch, just to gauge interest among you guys - but Chad sort of beat me to the punch there. I'm honestly indifferent to it at this point. But at least it stands a minor chance of turning into something worthwhile with Ishii involved, I guess.

No Ricochet anywhere on the card - after last year's finale - feels like a minor letdown, but I know I might be alone in thinking that. :D

But enough negativity. I'm absolutely as stoked for this series as I was for last year's, when I admittedly spent a ridiculous amount of my precious free time trying to cram as much of the Super Juniors as I could into my viewing schedule.

Early predictions on the finals and/or eventual winner? And do ya think they'll go on to dethrone Omega?

Full BOSJ brackets:

BLOCK A
Jushin Liger
Ryuske Taguchi
Yohei Komatsu
Trent Baretta
Gedo
Kyle O'Reilly
Cavernario
Chase Owens

BLOCK B
Tiger Mask
KUSHIDA
Alex Shelly
Mascara Dorada
Rocky Romero
David Finlay
Bobby Fish
Nick Jackson

The thing really seemed primed for KUSHIDA to win, but when they have a clear tournament winner like that they often like to go in a different direction. That would be the result I'd like to see anyway.

The NEVER title feels a lot less prestigious than it did last year to me.

Man my buddy Chad just mentioned that all the BOSJ are going to be up on NJ World. Most will up on demand later in the day as opposed to live, but who cares.

Yea, just the BOSJ matches for most of the shows (with the exception of the finals and the three Korakuen cards) but that's all I really all I want anyway. The costs of setting up a hard camera and uploading a few hours later have to be minimal and it really helps to be able to follow the entire tournament.