Pro Wrestling Only

Steve Austin or Dustin Rhodes

goodhelmet

Austin or Rhodes?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Steve Austin or Dustin Rhodes

• The Rattlesnake
    • Goldust

If you're looking solely at their time in WCW, then Dustin wins. But things changed when they arrived in the WWF. Austin improved by leaps and bounds while Dustin stagnated and even regressed. Dustin's recent career resurgence isn't enough to overcome a decade-plus in the wilderness. He's also hurt by the fact that he has hardly any classic singles matches to his name (and none in the past two decades).

I like Dustin, but I am not as high on him as a lot of people here. Top 10 is crazy talk. I probably don't have him top 50.

This is an interesting comparison because Austin had something special.

If it's The Natural vs Stunning Steve, I go Dustin.

If it's Golddust vs. Stone Cold, I go Austin.

I can't really see the argument for going Golddust over Austin, what would people point to? He did have a great 98, but .... Austin!!

On balance, I think I'm Austin on this. Both will make my top 100.

My first exposure to Rhodes live (WWF) was in 1990 (San Francisco, CA) vs. The Barbarian if I'm not mistaken.

My first exposure to Austin live (WCW) was in 1991 (Oakland, CA) vs. Big Josh (Borne). I remember Austin workin his ass off for 15+.

Funny how it all kinda starts here,

-10/27/91 Austin vs. Rhodes (Havoc)

They're both tied together off and on in 1992. Austin worked more singles while Rhodes tagged w-Windham.

-02/29/92 Austin-Zbyszko vs. Rhodes-Windham (Superbrawl)

-05/17/92 Wargames

-10/25/92 Austin-Williams vs. Rhodes-Windham (Havoc)

Plus all the other single/tags/trios/etc. That we're aware of from 1992 WCW TV.

Other singles matches in 92.

-01/07/92 Austin vs. Steamboat (Worldwide)

-05.01.92 Rhodes vs. Rude (Worldwide)

-07.26.92 Austin vs. Pillman (Worldwide)

-09/02/92 Austin vs. Steamboat (COTC)

In 1993 we see Austin and Rhodes reverse roles somewhat with Austin workin tags and I believe havin a better all around year. At least more high profile w-Pillman vs. Flair/Anderson which was all to short.

-04/20/93 Rhodes vs. Rude (Worldwide)

-07/18/93 Rhodes vs. Rude (Beach Blast)

-11/10/93 Austin vs. Pillman (COTC)

In 1994 we have Austin and Rhodes on opposite sides again with interaction somewhat. Austin stands out with Steamboat. Rhodes stands out with Buck. Plus some tag matches, etc.

Then WCW fucks up. I woulda really loved to see a JCP (at there booking best) booked WCW with Austin and Rhodes. Plus Cactus, Pillman, and some others.

As for the remainder of there careers I have to believe Austin takes the rest of the 90's by FAR. And that creeps into the early 00's. Rhodes is up and (really) down at stages but has recovered wonderfully and really stands out among a lot of todays performers. Mostly because he's a wrestler.