Pro Wrestling Only

Cassandro

Grimmas

I nominated Cassandro, and I'm honestly not sure he will make my ballot, but I have to give it a lot of thought. Talk about an absolutely snake bitten career, basically every time he has looked poised to start getting more widespread recognition and bookings, some horrific injury has set him back at least a year. That being said, basically everything from 2006/2007 on that has made tape has been fantastic. I think quality wise, Cassandro has a much better case than a lot of the lower tiered luchadores. That being said, anyone who thinks Cassandro doesn't have enough work to warrant consideration would be well within their rights to leave him off.

Any interesting "what if" question is to think about whether Cassandro's career would have been better or worse had he not left TNA amid accusations of homophobia.

Yeah I would say there are probably only 30-40 Cassandro matches on tape, with the bulk of them being from 2007-2009. There's a couple early 90s ones, and some scattered handheld ones, two of those because of me. And Phil is correct, I sat with the woman who started LLV at one of their SF shows (as a guest of Cassandro), and she was talking about how she has boxes and boxes of all the previous shows just sitting at her house, and how they record "everything". I told her I would love to see the footage, had ZERO interest in selling it or anything like that, even going so far as saying I would pay for the privilege of seeing it, even offering to catalog it for future "best of" releases (think Dave Lemieux, but for burlesque based hipster lucha), and she seemed genuinely excited (not just shining on some bothersome dork). I spoke to her over email after that night, said I would be in LA a few weeks later, and when I was in LA (for other reasons, thankfully) suddenly she would not answer her phone or return her emails. She never returned any correspondence after that, and at the next LLV show when I tried to meet with her I was clearly given the runaround. To this day I have no idea what happened, what made her suddenly cut off contact, anything. It was very strange.

• 7 years later...