Pro Wrestling Only

Earl Hebner shoot

goodhelmet

When asked about Montreal, Earl says he did not know the finish until about ten minutes before the match. Dave says that he had the car waiting to take Earl out of the building. Earl then chimes in that he told Dave right before he went on. I findthis to be total bullshit. Dave had the car running and ready to go but only knew ten minutes before the match? Please.

On Montreal, Earl says, "But you know, as I look at it now and probably a week later after it happened, out of al lthe people working there, Bret was screwing each and every one of them... including myself. It was not so much Vince McMahon. It was the talent. All the guys that put him over and made him what he is, or was. He's cheating them and he helped him and that's how I felt about it as time went on. I mean, I had a choice to or not to, and the bell was going to ring regardless, but as I stepped in the ring, and I am passing everybody going to the ring, I am stopping and thinking there are guys back there, there's Undertaker, all our top stars that even put him over. Here's a guy that doesn't care about just say it's 80 guys or 180, he didn't care. I mean he already had his deal down at WCW. So he was signed, sealed, all he had to be was delivered. So what did he have to lose? Nothing. Basically, what was he going to do, like Alundra Blayze take the damn blet down there and throw it in the trash can, hold it up like "hahaha" for the embarassment of all our guys, including myself? So during the match, I did a lot of thinking, and that was the biggest thought on my mind, and the more I thought about this, that and the other, and I think about all the guys in the back I go well, maybe this is the right thing for me to do...

Q: So it is actually in the match itself that you made the decision?

A: I didnt know for sure what I was going to do, and nobody else knew for sure except me. I didn't even know except doing the match, I had no idea what I was going to do. I know what they wanted me to do. But I don't even think they were sure because the way I left them, I wasn't sure.

Q: Bret, in subsequent interviews said he personally chose you to be the referee in that match because he trusted you like no other referee. Was there any point when Briscoe gave you the finish to when you went out there, or while you were out there, that you thought maybe you should let Bret know or was it something you just kept inside?

A: Well, I didn't have time to let Bret know. If I would have time, I am not sure I would have. At that point, I can't answer But I knew as I was going to the ring and thinking, "Oh my God, what am I going to do?" and I am thinking about myself, and I am thinking about Bret, I am thinking about all the other people in the back but all the other people in back didn't really rush to my mind until I got to the ring. And then I am thinking... I think uh.. I can't put my finger on it now, i think someone else had a hard time dropping the strap. Maybe if you guys know, maybe I can bring it back up. For somebody just to be selfish, and not do what they're supposed to do, to make other people suffer, especially when you got like roughly somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 million dollars waiting for you. What are you worried about? What difference does it make? When you could have dropped it way before youu got to your own country, and you had ample time to do it in a nice way and you didn't want to do it, and you kept bucking it, and bucking it, and bucking it. What difference does it make? Hell, 3 million dollars... I'll give every wrestling shirt away, anything you want. So why you gonna let all your other fellows suffer when they helped you get where you are?

I don't know about that. I was at a Raw taping in Toronto in February 2003 and during a commercial break the crowd starting chanting that, so he went into the the crowd where a fan had a sign that said 'Brett Screwed Brett' (sic), took it from him and started waving it around so the chants got louder.

Then, the King came down to the ring (he was having a match that night), and cut a promo about how he knew that Earl liked screwing people but he asked that he not screw him.

So I'm pretty sure he didn't mind it that much, at least not a few years later.

Guest EastCoastJ

Earl is the man. Something tells me that if there would have been a situation where Bret had to decide between his job, huge salary and his precious legacy, or helping out Earl Hebner, he would have done the exact same thing.

I love the way Bret almost jumped to WCW with the Intercontinental Title in 1991, which would have completely screwed over the WWF, but he never brings that one up when talking about people screwing eachother.

Would'ves and could'ves don't really matter. The fact is that he didn't jump to WCW with the belt. I can say that if I was told to blatantly screw my friend over at work, even if it cost me my job, I wouldn't. Many would. Many wouldn't. Arguing that anyone would do the same thing in the same situation is speculation at best and shows an unhealthy lack of trust in other people at worst.