Pro Wrestling Only

All Japan Women folds

Loss

From Puroresu Power:

(3/28/05) - (All Japan Women) Sankei Sports reports that the promotion's last show will take place on 4/17 in Tokyo at Korakuen Hall. Nanae Takahashi made a last-minute decision on Monday to attend the rest of the house shows for the AJW promotion leading up to 4/17. The reasons given for the folding of the promotion included the deterioration of the health of both CEO Takashi Matsunaga and the health of the company. All the wrestlers were given notice of the impending collapse a few days ago.

GAEA recently folded as well. The glory days of Joshi are long gone, so this isn't as crushing as it might have been at one time, but it's still sad to see that a company that once boasted the Crush Gals (Chigusa Nagayo was probably the Japanese equivalent to Madonna in the 80s in terms of mainstream star power) and had such a great interpromotional run in the early 90s is now gone for good. It would be nice to see the Observer do a "history of AJW" piece, but Meltzer hasn't really consistently covered AJW in years, anyway.

Guest Steffie

Well i think the idea behind Joshi was more of a novelty that was recieved very kindly by the masses due to the fact that it was something new and different. The thought that women were as good as men in the ring is certainly what sparked the amount of praise and acclaim it had. However, once the honeymoon was over i think folks just started to realize the flaws and holes in the product(at least i did). I started to realize that the promotion was more hype then it was anything else so in that sense it isnt a surprize.the Joshi scene passed away along time ago so this is more of a reminder then anything else. RIP AJW...it was a good run while it lasted.

I'm not sure I understand. Granted, Joshi has been in a state of decline for nearly 10 years now, but arguing that it was never that good to begin with is wrong. The best workers in AJW and JWP were as good as any male wrestler in the world for most of 1992-1995, and in many cases, they were better than any male wrestlers in the world.