Pro Wrestling Only

<Split Topic> Entrance Music in WWE

Parties

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random thoughts but I was always a massive guilty pleasure for AJ Lee's Avril punk tune she had before getting her more famous tune and skipping like an arsehole for years. Bad call scrapping that theme.

No idea if there are any other examples but I love what I call the 'hidden' part of the theme. When Jim Johnston thought 'aye, they're probably in the ring now, throw in some weird shit'.

Mr. Perfect is the *cough* perfect example. Listen to his theme over a minute in and it has some slight changes. Then at 1:48 it completely loses it's shit and has this very dark sounding middle 8 bit before going back to the main theme. No reason for that at all, but I absolutely love it. There must be more examples but my minds blanking.

Wrestling needs more real metal. Not nu-metal tripe. RVD coming out to Pantera was the coolest shit ever.

the old metal snobs i used to occasionally socialize with would say "Pantera is real metal?"

LOLZ. As opposed to?

Slayer, Exodus (I'm thoroughly amazed "Toxic Waltz" hasn't been used), Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Venom, Bathory, Mayhem, Death, Morbid Angel, Dying Fetus, Exhumed, Suffocation, Disgorge, Skinless, Cryptopsy, Anaal Nathrakh, etc. As far as real metal goes, post-Cowboys Pantera has far more in common with crap like Trapt than they do Carcass (and I like Pantera).

The sentiment, though, is accurate. ECW's use of modern music helped them stand out and there's no excuse to not ask the talent what they listen to or at least have the music department pay attention to the charts.

Agree with the hate of video game entrances. Dana is one of the best examples of why it's terrible, her little dance routine done a dozen times in the course of a minute or two. Of course, she's also terrible all around, but that's another issue.

Uggh. Those aren't all death bands but I know the type. "Death & Black Metal is the only metal!" types are the lowest form of life.

I think wrestling just needs a wide variety of music. The mid-2000's was probably the worst period ever for WWE entrance music but it's slowly getting better. I don't feel that they need to necessarily get with the times as wrestling by nature is campy. Give me Tyler Breeze signing his own entrance music over pleasing the Pitchfork crowd any day of the week. But I do agree you should draw from aspects of that.

Meh. At least Varg was never in a glam band.

I don't think people want it to be an indie pop/electronic extravaganza every week, with the themes changing on a whim, but it can't hurt to update the style. Vince and co are usually behind the curve, anyway, but having a few people whose jobs are to analyze current trends in pop culture really can't hurt.

I tend to think the over-reliance on generic hard rock has as much to do with their inability to introduce characters with specific personalities that Jim Johnston could latch on to. Even in the mid-2000's, if they gave him somebody with a clear gimmick/personality, he usually knocked the theme out of the park. JBL's "Dallas"-style knock off is tremendous. Eugene's 80's inspired theme was perfect for him. The Billy & Chuck "You Look So Good To Me" thing was a nice take on the boy band craze. But when it comes to somebody like Randy Orton, he was "just a guy" at least in terms of first-look personality, he had nothing to go on. Even today, when they get a Bo Dallas they seem to know what to do in regards to an appropriate musical style. Hard rock just tends to be a default for guys they don't know what to make of yet and too often what you get at the beginning is what you are stuck with.