Pro Wrestling Only

<Split Topic> Entrance Music in WWE

Parties

My biggest problem with the music is that most of it is so rock-centric when it's hip hop, R&B and electronic stuff that charts these days for the most part.

Sometimes rock just fits the character though. Like I can't see Kevin Owens coming out to anything other than rock, and I think both his indie theme and his WWE theme fit him perfectly. I definitely think Reigns needs a hip-hop theme, and I think Rollins needs some sort of EDM theme to go with his character. Not sure what I'd do with guys like Big Show, Orton, and Brock, though, as their themes are pretty well-established already.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I guess it depends on area (and age too). The area I grew up in in Liverpool, a lad whose hair was anything but short-back-and-sides or a skinhead (over the age of say 21) is asking for trouble, ditto anything other than rap or rock audible through your headphones; but the last time I was there the teenage lads were far more metrosexual and would openly listen to, say, Rihanna, although not without drawing comment. Conversely, the city centre (only 2 miles away) is hipster central and I'd seldom walk more than thirty feet without seeing a top-knot and patchy beard or hearing dub step or (insert random genre I have no idea about) and nobody gives a shit.

When they're drinking it's a different story. I'm talking about their iPod, what they listen to in the car, at home, and maybe their ringtone (about 2/3rds of which are either You'll Never Walk Alone or Z-Cars, of course).

[Those'd be the theme songs for the two football/soccer clubs for those less versed].

I am all for more diversity in WWEs themes and I actually like a lot of their stuff that is objectively terrible. First and foremost the theme has to fit and enhance the character, that way the entrance can go a long was establishing the character to new viewers. Ric Flair and "Also sprach Zarathustra" are the perfect example of theme/character synergy, you hear that song, you see Flair and you immediately know what he is about. I don't buy the Rock establishes guys as asskickers narrative, Rick Rude came out to Smooth Operator and no one doubted he could beat someones ass.

In general it is always interesting to see Lucha entrances because no one gives a shit about copy right in Mexico so the guys just come out to whatever theme they want. Though they leave them too much freedom sometimes and the people come out to really badly fitting themes. It is understandable that WWE almost exclusively uses their own stuff because of licensing, but they should branch out more. Maybe make that WWE's next failed outside business venture, sign a bunch of guys from different genres and make WWE Music into a proper Music Label. You can pick up some good themes that way and it can't loose them more money than WWE Films.

As far as Funk/Soul/Disco as entrances goes nobody can convince me that "Papa was a rolling stone" wouldn't make an amazing theme.

Somehow, "Flight of the Valkyaries" was the perfect theme for Daniel Bryan. That one seems like dumb luck on the part of WWE, like they could just have easily picked a different random song and it wouldn't have worked in the least.

When CM Punk reached back to the early 90's for his theme song, it felt like a revelation.

Speaking of Kanye, POWER would be an amazing entrance for heel John Cena.

The new drifter character in NXT should come out to Tom Waits!

I'm in the camp that the entrance/music alone can get a wrestler/character over. It's a big part of the reason why I like Bray Wyatt and the Wyatt Family so much. That entrance is incredible. The live-performance at Wrestlemania was one of the best entrances I've ever seen. Hell, The Undertaker has to at least in part be so fun because of his entrance... which kept getting switched up & made special at big shows to differentiate one from the other. Seeing it live is awesome.

I agree that there's way too much generic rock songs used. Edge came out to Alter Bridge. WWE, in the past, has used both Limp Bizkit & Kid Rock. Compare it to ECW, that was using all kinds of stuff, like Metallica, AC/DC & Guns N' Roses to Prong, Pantera & Soul Coughing. Most of it was still rock music though, sans like New Jack coming out to Natural Born Killas or The F.B.I. coming out to the remix of Stayin' Alive.

Although he's not used much anymore, I really like Mark Henry coming out to Three-6 Mafia. Stephanie McMahon coming out to a hip hop song though? Just eww. Hell, Trish Stratus came out to Lil' Kim, I think. Why does Trish get that track?

WWE needs to be more diverse from the top to the bottom. Not just in terms of music but in general. I still feel like we're in the camp where groups/teams are determined by their skin color over anything else. Team B.A.D., PTP, New Day, Los Matadores, Lucha Dragons. During this Divas Revolution, my first thought was Team P.C.B. were the babyfaces because they were the white chicks.

Shoutout to Grado for making the Madonna entrance so awesome.

What gets me with entrances isn't so much the music as much as the poses everyone has to do. It's worse with the women, Dana Brooke has to do that weird arm waving routine in her entrance and at least 2-3 times a match. It just looks silly to see these people who are supposedly on the way to engage in combat have to do an interpretive dance routine first.

Wrestling needs more real metal. Not nu-metal tripe. RVD coming out to Pantera was the coolest shit ever.

the old metal snobs i used to occasionally socialize with would say "Pantera is real metal?"

LOLZ. As opposed to?

Slayer, Exodus (I'm thoroughly amazed "Toxic Waltz" hasn't been used), Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Venom, Bathory, Mayhem, Death, Morbid Angel, Dying Fetus, Exhumed, Suffocation, Disgorge, Skinless, Cryptopsy, Anaal Nathrakh, etc. As far as real metal goes, post-Cowboys Pantera has far more in common with crap like Trapt than they do Carcass (and I like Pantera).

The sentiment, though, is accurate. ECW's use of modern music helped them stand out and there's no excuse to not ask the talent what they listen to or at least have the music department pay attention to the charts.

Agree with the hate of video game entrances. Dana is one of the best examples of why it's terrible, her little dance routine done a dozen times in the course of a minute or two. Of course, she's also terrible all around, but that's another issue.

I haven't kept up with modern pop music since the TRL heyday of Brittney and N Sync so I'm even more behind the times than WWE. Someone coming out to a Ghost or Mastodon song would get me to mark out though.

Balor's entrance is incredible because it sounds like a Ghost track and I don't even care for Ghost.

One of the things I like about CFO is that they are aware of all of this and are blatantly ripping off popular songs of TODAY. Carmella's entrace sounds close to "Fancy", Bayley's entrance can be interested into any anime opening theme, Itami has the PRIDE drum sound interested into his music, and Zayn sounds like something that would still be playing in a Ska club, etc. Even a remixed and updated version of Emma's theme sounds fresh and like something you would hear on the radio. Its clear Jim favors guitar and CFO favors base. Once they take over completely, I suspect a lot more BOOMS in entrance music and not just for the 'urban' talent.

Wrestling needs more real metal. Not nu-metal tripe. RVD coming out to Pantera was the coolest shit ever.

the old metal snobs i used to occasionally socialize with would say "Pantera is real metal?"

LOLZ. As opposed to?

Slayer, Exodus (I'm thoroughly amazed "Toxic Waltz" hasn't been used), Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Venom, Bathory, Mayhem, Death, Morbid Angel, Dying Fetus, Exhumed, Suffocation, Disgorge, Skinless, Cryptopsy, Anaal Nathrakh, etc. As far as real metal goes, post-Cowboys Pantera has far more in common with crap like Trapt than they do Carcass (and I like Pantera).

The sentiment, though, is accurate. ECW's use of modern music helped them stand out and there's no excuse to not ask the talent what they listen to or at least have the music department pay attention to the charts.

Agree with the hate of video game entrances. Dana is one of the best examples of why it's terrible, her little dance routine done a dozen times in the course of a minute or two. Of course, she's also terrible all around, but that's another issue.

I've always felt that black metal and wrestling are way more compatible than black metal would like to admit.

Way I see it, I don't think mainstream music is where ANYONE should be looking for entrance music. There really isn't anything current on the radio that's actually worth a damn. WWE's insistence on using awful, generic radio rock wouldn't be any different than them using awful, generic country, hip hop, or pop. It really is not that hard to find good music, and damn near the whole history of recorded music is available without having to pay for it.

Make the music fit the character and make the music memorable. It's as simple as that.

Along those lines, shouldn't a wrestler have his "game face" on more when challenging for a title or entering the match that will settle a feud than an average TV match? The worst aspect of the video game entrance is that it makes no allowance for context. We almost never see anything non-formula anymore, like two guys brawling in the aisle to start a match or the match getting started with the heel bumping in full entrance gear for the first minute or so before rolling outside.

Along those lines, shouldn't a wrestler have his "game face" on more when challenging for a title or entering the match that will settle a feud than an average TV match? The worst aspect of the video game entrance is that it makes no allowance for context. We almost never see anything non-formula anymore, like two guys brawling in the aisle to start a match or the match getting started with the heel bumping in full entrance gear for the first minute or so before rolling outside.

Yup. They've sacrificed a lot of awesome storytelling devices in the name of "presentation" over the last decade plus. The wrestler entrance has now become a "thing", rather than being an enhancement of what might otherwise be a dull (but necessary) moment. Like anything else with the current product, they found something that worked and spot-welded it permanently to their product instead of letting it simply do the job it was meant to do. "Oh, they popped for the entrance music? Well then let's play it every time somebody does a run-in, even though there's no logical reason why the PA guy would know to play it and it also ruins any element of surprise the guy doing the run-in would have hoped to have gained".

They care about pops and Tweets and brands and have completely lost touch with the subtle art of the story they are supposed to be selling us.

Most mainstream media has. Movies are EXPLOSIONS AND SLOW MO AND CHOSEN ONE and music is the same beat and auto tuned garbage. Almost everything is stale bubblegum.

I think we're going to see a turnaround in quality in a few years. Methinks the kids are really beginning to want content rather than fluff again.