Pro Wrestling Only

Valentine vs. Savage

JerryvonKramer

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

• Greg "The Hammer" Valentine
    • "Macho Man" Randy Savage

I can't comment properly -- primarily because Tito vs. Valentine is near the top of my watch list and I'll be approaching it for the first time -- but outside of a few choice WWF classics, Savage does not rate very highly for me pre-WCW. Not a big fan of his work in the early 80s territorial days and thus far he's faring worse than anyone other than Michaels when going back through network footage.

Savage, and it's a slam dunk for me. I like Valentine a lot, and I admit to not having seen enough from Valentine. But, based on the Memphis I have seen and his work on undercards and C shows I gotta go with Savage. He has the high end work, but where Savage has really impressed me is in matches where he should be phoning it in, but he doesn't.

The biggest advantage Savage has to me is that he was an excellent face and an excellent heel. That said, I honestly think Savage's best matches are far more dependent on bells and whistles and atmosphere than Valentine's are. Part of that is that Savage is the ultimate character, and it makes sense that his matches would be more show biz-y. But there is a part of me that wishes we had more high end, stripped down, Savage matches. The default answer to this is certainly Savage, but I honestly think Valentine has more performances I would consider brilliant, and I think he's a better brawler than Savage which is arguably Savages strongest trait. If someone held a gun to my head right now I would take Valentine, but I don't really feel comfortable saying it.

What's the main argument for Valentine really?? I liked him. But Savage is a top 10 all time 5 tool player though. Mainstream. I feel like his death in 2011 was the biggest story outside of Benoit and Owen because of those extraordinary circumstances of course. To me for North American workers, only Flair, Undertaker, Bret and yes, Shawn Michaels are on his level as Legends with all aspects of the game with the crazy longevity. Outliers Benoit, Funk, Eddie and Stan Hansen.

Dream Team as better than MegaPowers(what other team was Savage on for any real time?) He's got Savage there. Dream Team/Bulldogs feud and bouts blow all MegaPowers stuff from WWF and WCW away, ha Except the Doomsday Triple Cage of course! They beat 8 men!

Randy v. The Dragon, Warrior, Jake Roberts, Hogan WMV, DDP and both Flair feuds are much better. Way better promos.

Give Savage some real competition!

(what other team was Savage on for any real time?)

He tagged with Lanny a lot when they were working the territories together. Which was... interesting. Aside from both men's proclivity for an ahead-of-their-time level of gymnastics in their movements, there's few brothers in wrestling who worked less-similar styles.