Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-01-03-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff (Cage)

Superstar Sleeze

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff - SNME 1/3/87 Steel Cage

The awesome movie, Bridge of Spies, can be summed up by these lyrics, "I am a Real American, fight for the rights of every man!" I loved Mr. Wonderful's gimmick of stealing the Hulkster's music. It plays into the false finish of them both touching at the same time because they cue up the music, but that's the theme of the both men so it only adds to the confusion. The match is itself is pretty good, but I have seen plenty better better Hogan performances in terms of just unbridled energy. Still Hogan in the late 80s is just so entertaining. Orndorff probably would rank in the lower tier of Hogan opponents in my opinion he just does not bring much to the table. You had your monsters like Andre, Bundy and Kamala etc...that are staples of Hogan's run. You have the offense and bumping powerhouses like Savage and Harley. Orndorff does not have a cool gimmick to fall back on, but he is good at everything just not great. I like the beginning with Hogan ripping his shirt on top of the cage, very cool visual. Orndorff jumps him and whips him with the belt, which is probably the best spot of the match. Another cool spot was when Hogan stopped Wonderful from going over the top and bashed his head into the cage. It was standard cage fare until the false finish with both men touching the floor simultaneously and Danny Davis calling Orndorff the winner. This furthers the big Danny Davis, crooked ref story, Orndorff hits a knee from behind that wipes out Hogan and Davis. Joey Marella restarts the match. Hogan does a great extended comeback complete with cage shots and a backbreaker! A trickle of blood and McMahon says this is the first cage match on network TV in history, getting violent! The Brain comes in to buy Orndorff some time and takes a wicked bump into the cage. Hogan wins by going over the top. A good entertaining match, but nothing in Hogan's top tier. ***

• 2 months later...

Agree that this match is decent but not world-shaking.

This match ends with another example of the dick-ish things babyface Hogan used to do: After the match, Hogan grabs Heenan and beats him up. This is a guy who could be twice his age and half his size. Hogan has already beaten Orndorff. But somehow he feels the need to rough up a little dude?

• GSR changed the title to [1987-01-03-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff (Cage)