Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-06-27-WWF-Boston, MA] Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts

Superstar Sleeze

Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts - WWF Boston 6/27/86

I really enjoyed this match! These are two wrestlers that I have been a little down on, but I thought they weaved a great story in this match. I think a lot of my issues with Jake The Snake was twofold. One was not watching enough Jake to get him and understand him. Since he is not a pure power or speed guy, it does not immediately leap off the page. On top of that, a lot of what I was watching was babyface Jake The Snake and I don't know if that's where Jake excels. From watching this and watching the SNME angle shot before this where he jumps Steamboat, cracks his head on the concrete with the DDT a couple times and lays the snake on The Dragon that Jake the Snake the heel enjoys torturing and humiliating his opponent even more than winning. On the flip side, Ricky Steamboat is pissed that he had been injured by The Snake and was red hot this match. Steamboat has a bit of a different way of showing violence and part of that is because of who Steamboat is (we know he is not the world's flashiest person) and the sanitized WWF environment. He wears his anger on his face and how quickly he is moving rather than the his moves per se.

Steamboat comes out hot looking to avenge being shown up and hurt at SNME, but one thread of this match is that his overzealousness catches him. By attacking Jake on the outside when he tries to get back in the ring, he catches a wicked knee lift. Jake immediately wants to replicate SNME with a quick DDT and presumably place the snake on him. Once could be a fluke and twice would show Jake is the man. Upon trying the DDT, Steamboat starts firing off chops and even a really heated belly to belly. I struggle sometimes with how I feel about wrestlers that really take time to signal to their audience what they are going to do. On one side, the wrestler should be in the moment and just execute. On the other, it is a powerful took to make the audience aware something big is going to happen and therefore more likely to pop because they won't miss it and are now anticipating it. I think Steamboat worked that fine line perfectly. It was especially apropos when Roberts was caught in the ropes. This gave time for Steamboat to measure his man thus getting the crowd involved and deliver a ferocious chop. I loved Steamboat's urgency going through the ref's leg just to get another chop. Soon we see how Steamboat's urgency comes back to haunt him as when he slides through Jake's legs he gets popped. Jake was showing a bit more energy here than he has in past performances, but his menacing, stalking aura is more suited to be a heel. I really his goading the struggling babyface to hit him in the face spot. It is such a dick thing to do and it is just so abusive father-ish to me. C'mon you want to hit me, but you can't, boy. It is just mean. That's the humiliating and torturing of Steamboat. There was one other time when Jake could have gone for the win and instead choose to punch Steamboat in the head more. There were other times when he reverted to a more normal heel especially how he reacted to Steamboat coming out of the sleeper. Steamboat's selling was HUGE in this and I was absolutely digging. I loved him being hurled over the top and just letting himself end up in what ever shape he did on the apron. He was a mess. Jake got a little cocky going for the snake and ended taking a big single leg pick up bump off his knee lift. Steamboat came ALIVE! Again, Jake was lying in wait and Steamboat overzealous ate knees on a splash. Steamboat rolled towards the apron where Jake successfully hit his knee lift. Roberts followed the Dragon, but was shoved into the post. Just as Steamboat was going to come crashing down on Jake the Snake with his flying chop the match was called off with Steamboat being counted out. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They have a pretty heated post-match brawl with Jake The Snake looking to hit the DDT (he bladed really obviously on camera and it was funny trying to hear the announcers explain why he is bleeding), but Steamboat freeing himself and hitting the flying karate chop. I really loved the juxtaposition of the two energies of this match. Steamboat was firey and avenging. Roberts bided his time, struck at the right moment and then stalk and tortured his prey. This is really the type of match that WWF excels in more than probably about any promotion in history. It was very much more character-driven than it was victory-driven. I think that hurts a lot of WWF matches, but when they really knock it out of their park in their style, it is really fun to watch and really expands the breadth of what pro wrestling is and can accomplish. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1986-06-27-WWF-Boston, MA] Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts