Pro Wrestling Only

Discussion 2 Rosters etc.

LowBlowPodcast

Discussion #2 – Rosters etc.

This second discussion is to look at rosters. I know we discussed the idea of keeping inactive promotions full with a roster, and while that has helped a couple of the promotions, we do have some new blood and could look at a different idea.

For those individuals involved, could we look at some changed with out rosters…

1. A possible re-draft with exceptions.
  • If a promotion is interested in this process, they would have 10 people (managers and wrestlers) on a keep list. We could pop out to 15 if it is a issue. Promotions DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS. The rest of your roster would be added to the master list of every inactive rosters workers for a 10-15 round draft. We would keep the roster cap in affect. New promotions would start with the promotion of their choice and could we say 3-5 current members and then picking the rest from the draft and then free agency?
  1. The Roster cap
  • The roster cap of 34 workers and 3 managers stays into affect. For those individuals that would like to expand, could we look at upping the worker cap by 1 every four months? The first bump wouldn’t happen until April 1st, then August 1st, then December 1st, to have 1984 end with us having a total roster cap of 37 workers and 3 managers?

What do you guys think of the possibility of a re-draft for those interested and new promotions?

What do we think of the roster cap moving every 4 months?

In terms of the re-draft, I would like to be able keep 15.

I would prefer that we save only top 2-3 wrestlers in open promotions. I feel with so few writers, there would be such a large list of free agents that any new writers could make a great roster off that list.

I am in favor of adding to the roster limit but would like to begin at 36-40 instead of 34. Again, I feel with so few writers, we would be leaving so many great wrestlers inactive and I think that leaves out some of the fun as writers and READERS of this game.

These are only opinions are I am on board with whatever the majority wants. I am in no matter what.

Oy, the roster question …

First things first, agree with the roster cap but would like to push it up to 36, with the 1 person addition every 4 months.

When this project first started, the original intent was a redraft every 6 months, with I believe a 5 person save limit. The idea was discontinued early on but at this point we would be coming up on the time when that re-draft would have taken place. Then , when the first promoter dropped out, the suggestion was made that a neighboring territory would absorb it and the roster and the leftovers would go into a draft. This was approved, but after a while , as several more promoters dropped out, it got to be unmanageable. Of the 4 promotions that absorbed other territories, 2 are no longer active, and while I won’t say that is the direct cause, bloated rosters didn’t particularly help anyone (nor was Maple Leaf’s ambitious plan to expand into the WWF’s vacant territory ultimately successful). WWA and Southeastern managed to survive this by keeping both their rosters and their booking plans manageable. Right when I was about to inherit a sweet roster from Stampede and expand into their territory, the vote was taken to change to keeping promotions dormant for future writers and roster caps. I voted for both of these measures and would do it again … if I had gotten Stampede, I might well be further behind than I am now.

I agree with the 6 month re-draft being brought back to allow to freshen up rosters and that it should be optional, although I would be sitting this one out (I find my own roster to be more or less right sized and have long term plans for too many people). I think the save list might be best set at 15, althought my opinion might be moot given I will not be in this draft. The thorny question is what to do with the inactive rosters. On the one hand, it might prove too tempting to cherry pick the inactive rosters and just draft the top level wrestlers, which has the twin problems of a) leaving nothing behind but lower level wrestlers for future new promoters, and B) ignoring the importance of having mid-card or lower level wrestlers on one’s own roster. On the other hand, several promotions have been inactive for a long time, and it can be very frustrating seeing the likes of, say, Barry Windham, Ricky Steamboat, Buddy Rose, Kerry Von Erich etc. etc. gathering dust when they could be used well by active promoters. My opinion is we should put the inactive promotion rosters full in the draft, but make some sort of allowance for future new writers that may crop up afterwards . What that should be … well, I’m open to suggestions.

I agree with the 36 roster cap. Then we do a +1 every 3 months to cap out at 40 at the end of next year.

In terms of the draft, I am cool with promotions sitting still. No reason to fix what isn't broken. You and Boon are from the looks of it going to be watching it unfold which is perfectly fine. I know I am taking part to hopefully get some fresh talent in the under part of the card.

I agree with the 15 limit and while bloated rosters can be an issue, one has to remember that the cap is just a cap, not a minimum. Some rosters may only have 28 guys and there's nothing wrong with that.

In terms of the draft roster... I think one thing to look at is the possibility of saving their first draft pick maybe? Then drafting but keeping those individuals who didn't get drafted specific to those rosters as starting points. I know one thing I thought of is if I were to draft someone from Stampede... I would then send one of my guys to Stampede after the draft was complete to even things out almost.

I just did a quick list and think, with a save list of 15, I might well take part in the draft. There a few on my roster that may have a bit juice left that I could possibly end up re-drafting in the later rounds, and if I don't it won't destroy any plans.

This is what I'm heavily leaning toward.

Yeah, I think that was probably part of the downfall of the original plan for the 6 month draft, that it would be mandatory. It wouldn't be realistic to force somebody to possibly lose half of their roster if they didn't want to make any changes, but for people that want it, it is a chance to freshen things up (and in this case, with new promoters coming in, they can put a bit more of their own stamp on their roster).

This is coming from someone who is not use to a huge roster. I like a decent sized roster because I like having some low card wrestlers. 36 seems high but I am sure my issue is I am just not used to that many. I would like a draft and save maybe 15 just because if I take over an inactive I would like to add my own. My personal opinion on inactives is not to save the roster because someone else could use the fresh face. I would set a date for inactives to be claimed and which territory is not claimed do a dispersal draft or sometgng similar.

I am the newbie so this is some things I have seen in the past. Also I am a little excited to get involved.

I hear ya there PW... the thing I think everyone is jumping to about the cap is that you must get there. The cap is there to let you know the max. If you want to run a promotion with 15-20 people, you are more than welcome too. Don't let the cap say, you HAVE to have 36 people, it is simply an option for those who are looking to do more. Everyone is going to be on the same playing field, just some will have more players but there will be no one who completely rules the roost. None of the territories are going NATIONAL right off the bat. The cap just allows for growth for those who want it and those who don't can run their promotion as small as they'd like or move up and down within the cap with no hesitation.