Pro Wrestling Only

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling- December 1983

GeneJackson95

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling TV

Spartanburg, S.C.
Taped on 12/15/83
Airing on 12/17/83
television_slate.jpg
(Show opening rolls, we then go to ringside with Tony Schiavone and David Crockett)
SchiavoneCrockett.jpg
Tony: "Welcome to Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling, I'm Tony Schiavone alongside David Crockett and we have a lot to cover here tonight as there have been some drastic changes happening here at Jim Crockett Promotions and we will be joined momentarily by Mr. Crockett who will tell us about some of those changes."
David: "That's right Tony, a lot has gone on in the past few weeks....some new faces coming in, a lot of old faces going out...and we have a new NWA United States Champion as Terry Taylor defeated the Iron Sheik to win the championship."
Tony: "He certainly did and we wanna congratulate Terry Taylor on that huge win. We also have a new NWA Mid Atlantic Champion as there was a tournament that took place last week and "Exotic" Adrian Street came out the victor and is your new Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Champion."
David: "We're gonna take you right now to some footage where Bob Caudle had the opportunity to speak with Jim Crockett and the promoter of Mid South Wrestling 'Cowboy' Bill Watts about a huge event coming to Greensboro on Christmas day, let's take you to that footage right now and then Jim is gonna join us to tell us about some major happenings right here in Mid Atlantic."
(We go to footage shot earlier in the day with Bob Caudle)
IMG_1683blog.jpg
Bob Caudle: "Fans I want to welcome in Jim Crockett and Bill Watts. Gentlemen, I believe everyone has been waiting for this moment."
Jim Crockett: "Well I think everyone has heard but we want to make the formal announcement right now. Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling along with Mid South Wrestling in accordance with the National Wrestling Alliance is proud to announce a huge spectacle next week on Christmas night in Greensboro, South Carolina. We are calling this event, Starrcade! This event is going to be a joint showing with talent from all over the National Wrestling Alliance and will feature a special contest between NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race defending against the Nature Boy Ric Flair. We will also have at least four other title matches on that card inclduding the Mid South North American and Tag Team Championships, the NWA Mid-American Championship, and the Mid Atlantic United States and United States Tag Team Championships."
Bill Watts: "Exactly like you said right there Jim, without a doubt this is going to be the biggest event in the history of wrestling. Fans are going to be able to see this event on closed circuit throughout the Mid South and South Eastern parts of the United States. There will be special showings in Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, New York, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and other major cities throughout the Mid West. Fans this is going to be the event that changes professional wrestling and it makes me proud to be in partnership with Jim Crockett Promotions, Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling, and the National Wrestling Alliance."
Jim Crockett: "Fans we are going to announce more matches for the card throughout the evening, but I think we wouldn’t be doing the fans justice without talking about the battle royal."
Bill Watts: "That’s right Jim. Lemme tell you something… you see this trophy behind us… this is the first ever Starrcade Cup. Not only will the winner of this battle royal get this prestigious trophy but also $100,000!"
Jim Crockett: "Perhaps the biggest purse ever for one match but in order to win this thing… you are going to have to eliminate some of the biggest names in the history of professional wrestling…"
Bill Watts: "Well to give you a hint at who has already been signed for the match… Bruiser Brody, Wahoo McDaniel, Stan Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, Kamala, The Vachons, Don Muraco, and Andre the Giant."
Jim Crockett: "Fans this is going to be one of the reasons why the NWA is simply the best there is in professional wrestling and why without a doubt Starrcade will be the premiere wrestling event this holiday season."
Bill Watts: "This is going to be a night that no one will ever forget… get your families ready and your tickets now!"
(Watts and Crockett shake hands as the video ends)
(Jim Crockett Jr. joins Tony and David at ringside)
Tony: "Thanks for joining us Mr. Crockett, We are all very excited about Starrcade '83 and please share with us some of the big news you have in store for the fans of the NWA and Jim Crockett Promotions."
Jim: "Starrcade '83 is going to be a huge event but you are exactly right...the past two weeks have been very eventful...there's been a shake up in the NWA and as you mentioned we have a lot of new wrestlers coming in and a lot of guys moving on to some other territories which is good for the fans to shake things up and make things interesting. One major thing that's taken place is a few weeks ago the Guerreros came in and more or less stole the NWA World Tag Team Championship from the Fabulous Freebirds. We are currently working on getting the 'Birds a rematch but after meeting with the championship commitee this past week it has been decided that there needs to be not only a United States singles championship, there should also be a United States Tag Team Championship and there's gonna be a one night tournament take place this Sunday in Columbia, South Carolina to crown the U.S. tag team champions. Some of the top teams in the world will converge on Columbia to compete for those titles and we will see a couple of those teams in action here today."
David: "Thanks, Jim....we can't wait to hear more about Starrcade but right now let's go up to the ring with the new U.S. Champion!"
===================================================================
MATCH #1-
NWA U.S. Champion- Terry Taylor
vs.
Dusty Wolfe
Highlights-
The new champ looked good here as he made quick work of Wolfe, putting him away in under 3 minutes with a flying forearm smash followed by the pinfall.
Winner-
NWA U.S. Champion
Terry Taylor
(Bob Caudle is at ringside as Taylor leaves the ring)
BobCaudleTerryTaylor.JPG
Bob: "Great win for the new U.S. Champion Terry Taylor."
Terry: "Thanks Bob, I'm very proud to be the holder of the prestigious U.S. title, some of the greatest wrestlers in the sport have held this title.....I know we've got this huge event... Starrcade coming up and I plan to be a part of it....so if anybody in the NWA wants a shot at this U.S. Championship....contact Jim Crockett and let's make it happen cause I'm a fighting champion and I will take on all comers."
(As Taylor finishes that sentence, "Exotic" Adrian Street and Ms. Linda come down to ringside)
AdrianStreetLinda1.jpg
Street: "Well hello Terrance, I couldn't help but overhear you say that you were looking for a date for Starrcade....while I do already have the Mid Atlantic Championship around my waist I would like nothing better than to add that U.S. Championship as well....so what do you say Terrance? How about you and I have a go at each other for the U.S. title at the Starrcade..."
Terry: "While I do not like the sound of that at all.....I laid out the challenge and you were...um, I guess...man enough to accept it....so yeah, I'll put the belt on the line against you at Starrcade."
Street: "Oh Terrance, how wonderful....you are such a couragous champion....it's a shame I'll have to take your title from you.....it's a date! See you in Greensboro."
COMMERCIALS
MATCH #2-
The Grapplers #1/#2
w/Johnny Valiant
vs.
Denny Brown
Spike Huber
Highlights-
Brown and Huber looked good against the Grapplers but the masked duo were clearly more experienced and broke the rules at every opportunity. At one point Spike Huber had Grappler #2 trapped in a bear hug, Johnny V jumped on the apron and drew the attention of referee Tommy Young, allowing Grappler #1 to slip something into his mask and come off the top rope with a headbutt....Huber crashed to the mat with Grappler #2 on top of him as Johnny V got down of the apron allowing Tommy Young to turn around to see the cover and count the 1-2-3!
Winners-
The Grapplers w/Johnny Valiant
GrapplersColor.jpg
=================================================================
STARRCADE PROMO w/ Watts & Crockett
A highlight video airs hyping the upcoming arrival of "Macho Man" Randy Savage
COMMERCIALS
MATCH #3-
Barry Windham
Sam Houston
vs.
Mike Davis
"Lord" Jonathan Boyd
Highlights-
Windham/Houston displayed some good team work unlike their opponents who didn't seem to get along at all with Boyd barking orders at Davis throughout. Boyd managed to do some damage to Houston at one point before tagging Davis back in who allowed Houston to tag out to Windham to eventually hit Davis with the flying lariat to get the win. Afterwards while Windham/Houston were going up the aisle to the cheers of the fans.....Boyd attacked Mike Davis and left him bloodied and laid out in the ring.
Winners-
Barry Windham/Sam Houston
(Backstage- Bob Caudle is joined by "Nature Boy" Ric Flair who is decked out in an expensive suit, which he starts to remove as he gets angry)
FlairCaudle.png
Bob: "I'm joined by the man who will challenge NWA World Champion Harley Race in Greensboro at Starrcade.....of course I'm referring to the 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair."
Ric: "BOB CAUDLE!! As I stand here before you today in a suit that costs more than most folks car, I'm still a humble man when I tell you that Harley Race is one of the greatest professional wrestlers to ever put on the tights.....that's a fact. He's not some big muscleheaded goof that panders to the crowd and thinks he's hot stuff because he can rip a t-shirt off.....However, what's also a fact is Harley Race's time as a World Champion has passed him by and at STARRCADE in Greensboro...LIVE AND IN COLOR ON CLOSED CIRCUIT T.V...WOOOOO!!....you are looking at the man who will go into 1984 as THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION....and it doesn't matter if it's Dusty Rhodes down in Florida.....if it's the JYD in Mid South.......or any number of great wrestlers from Japan or around the entire world they will all fall one by one to the Nature Boy....because I AM THE FUTURE OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING......I AM THE BEST THING GOING TODAY...and after Starrcade.....I'll have the belt to prove it....walk that aisle Harley and meet your destiny....WOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
Bob: "No lack of confidence from the 'Nature Boy', this is gonna be the biggest title match in this area in a long, long time. We'll be right back!"
==================================================================
COMMERCIALS
==================================================================
(As Terry Gordy is getting into the ring, Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts approach David Crockett at ringside)
4.-Michael-Hayes1-560x330.jpg
Hayes: "Davey Crockett, I know Brother 'Bam Bam' is getting ready to beat up one of them ugly Vachons in that ring for the TV title but I just wanted to take a moment to say that we just left the office of Mr. Jim Crockett who just got off the phone with the offices of the W.W.A. and it's official...signed, sealed, and soon to be delivered....The Fabulous Freebirds, I'm talkin' the whole shebang....Bam Bam, P.S. , and Buddy Jack are gonna step in the ring with all three of them no good Guerreros at Starrcade in a six man 'Badstreet Brawl'...that's NO DQ, No Time Limit, there must be a winner and while we may not have the opportunity in Greensboro to get back our World Tag Team Titles.....you best believe we are gonna take this opportunity to make those boys wish they had NEVER...been stupid enough to walk down Badstreet and take what we got....what we fought for....what we earned....Guerreros, lace 'em tight jack cause at Starrcade with the world watchin' on closed circuit t.v., the Freebirds are gonna commit acts of violence on you that's gonna be down right criminal....and you may just leave them belts behind to keep it from happening again."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAIN EVENT
NWA T.V. Title
Terry Gordy ©
vs.
Mad Dog Vachon
Highlights-
Terry Gordy came into this one wound up and he went right after the 'Mad Dog'. Vachon was looking to get away from Gordy early before eventually taking control with a thumb to the eye. Vachon manage to stay in control for much of the match after than until he missed a splash in the corner and Gordy fired up on him again and managed to give him a big bodyslam....Gordy signaled to the crowd for his dreaded 'Oriental Spike' he learned over in Japan.....Gordy applied and looked to have the match won until Butcher Vachon hit the ring causing referee Sonny Fargo to call for the DQ, the Vachons start to double team Gordy until Hayes and Roberts return to ringside and hit the ring on the Vachons knocking them around until they quickly retreated from the ring and headed back up the aisle. Gordy recovers as Buddy Jack hands him his TV title belt which Gordy holds high above his head as the fans roar in approval.
Winner by DQ-
Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy - still the NWA Television Champion
GordyBelt.jpg
================================================================
Tony: "Fans, if you can't be in Greensboro, make sure you find out where Starrcade will be showing on closed circuit television in your area...and if it's not...ask for it....don't be fooled by cheap imitations...there's only one Starrcade and it's brought to you by the National Wrestling Alliance."
David: "Where else can you see the biggest stars in professional wrestling?? Starrcade is jam packed with some of the greatest matches I've ever heard of....don't miss out...find out where you can see Starrcade '83, a event that will go down in history."
Tony: "You are excactly right David.....look at the matches that have been signed and the biggest World Title Match of this decade....'Handsome' Harley Race defends the NWA World Heavyweight title against "Nature Boy" Ric Flair.....fans for David Crockett and Bob Caudle...I'm Tony Schiavone and we'll see you.....at STARRCADE!"
(SHOW CLOSES)
Thanks everyone for reading, now that I've got this one written and had the time to make some booking plans, I intend to read some of the other shows and leave some feedback.

Great use of your roster.

Love the champions you have chosen.

Can't wait for Starrcade.

I am also interested in seeing who will be feuding who in Mid-Atlantic. I think the Freebirds are one of those promotion changing teams. They make any wrestling angle wonderful.

Great first show and looking forward to the next.

Memphis is waiting to see who wins the NWA Title as Jerry Lawler is set to be the next challanger on Dec 26.

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling

Township Auditorium- Columbia, S.C.
Saturday December 17th Bell Time 7:30pm
television_slate.jpg
United States Tag Team Title Tournament
USTagTitles83.jpg
Round 1-
The Vachons (Butcher/Mad Dog) defeated "Pistol" Pez Whatley/Tiger Conway Jr. when Butcher pinned Conway after a shoulder breaker
The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes/Buddy Roberts) beat "Killer" Tim Brooks/"Cowboy"Johnny Mantell when Hayes pinned Mantell with sunset flip out of the corner
The Grapplers w/Johnny Valiant defeated "Chief" Jay Strongbow/Pedro Morales after Grappler # 2 pinned Morales with his feet on the ropes
Barry Windham/Sam Houston beat "Hustler" Rip Rogers/"Golden Boy" Chic Donovan when Houston pinned Donovan after a running bulldog
Mid Atlantic Title
"Exotic" Adrian Street w/Ms. Linda © defeated Spike Huber with a boston crab to retain the title
Round 2-
The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Roberts) beat The Vachons (Butcher/Mad Dog) when Michael Hayes distracted referee Tommy Young, when Young turned around Roberts was down on the mat writhing in pain as if Mad Dog Vachon had hit him with a low blow (which he didnt).....Young turned to ask Butcher what happened allowing Roberts to hit a low blow on Mad Dog behind the ref's back....when Tommy turned back around Mad Dog was writhing on the mat as Roberts crawled over and tagged in Hayes who quickly covered the injured Vachon and hooked the leg for the 1-2-3!!
The Grapplers w/Johnny Valiant defeated Barry Windham/Sam Houston when Grappler # 1 headbutted Houston with a loaded mask and got the pinfall.
Semi-Main Event
NWA U.S. Title
Terry Taylor © defeated Bobby Duncum with a backslide to retain the NWA U.S. title
MAIN EVENT
NWA U.S. TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT FINALS
The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes/Roberts)
vs.
The Grapplers (#1/#2)
w/Johnny Valiant
Highlights-
The Grapplers are in the ring with Johnny Valiant. Michael Hayes comes to ringside with Terry Gordy (who isn't dressed to wrestle) without Buddy Roberts and addresses ring announcer Tony Schiavone.
Hayes: "Listen Schiavone, Buddy Jack went out behind the build to..um....relieve himself...and while he was out there he was attacked by three guys that I've been told was believed to be the Guerreros....now I don't know what the heck they would be doing in Columbia, South Carolina but they left poor Buddy for dead out there and he's being attended to by the medics right now, so since Buddy is out of commission 'Bamm Bamm' has agreed to step in and take his place." (Valiant grabs the mic)
Valiant: "Hold on just a minute Hayes....I don't care what happened out back to Buddy Roberts...HE is the Freebird that has been competing in this tournament and you aren't just gonna slip a fresh Terry Gordy in on us in the finals...nice try boys." (Sr. Referee Tommy Young interjects)
Young: "Michael, Mr. Valiant is correct....I know in many instances the Freebirds are interchangeable but this is not one of those times, it would not be fair to the Grapplers to sub in a fresh man....so if Buddy Roberts can't compete....your only choices are to compete alone....or forfeit." (the fans boo loudly)
Hayes: "Well Tommy Young....never let it be said that a Freebird ever quit...I guess I'll fly solo.." (as he finishes that sentence he hits Valiant and Grappler #2 with a quick left hand but he's cut off by Grappler #2)
The match is on and Hayes is going it alone against both Grapplers....after several minutes things do not look good for Hayes who fights valiantly but gets cut off at every pass....finally Grappler #1 goes to the top rope in an attempt to put Hayes away, but Hayes rolls out of the way of a diving headbutt as the Grappler crashes to the mat....at this time the crowd starts to stir as Buddy Roberts is seen limping down the aisle...bloodied and bandaged up.....but he gets on the apron..and extends his hand towards Hayes....miraculously as Grappler #1 makes the tag to Grappler #2, Hayes tags in Roberts.....Roberts comes in not exactly a 'house of fire' but putting up a fight none the less.....but Grappler # 2 eventually gets the best of him and hits him with a swinging neckbreaker and covers for the 1-2-3 as Hayes can't make it back into the in time to stop the count.....WINNERS AND NEW U.S. TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE GRAPPLERS......as they are handed the belts and are about to celebrate with Johnny Valiant, Terry Gordy hits the ring with a steel chair and the Grapplers and Johnny V scatter and head back up the aisle with the belts high above their heads. Gordy grabs a mic....
Gordy: "Grapplers...Guerreros....sooner or later you pukes are gonna have to man up and walk down Badstreet...and when you do....you are gonna see what me and my brothers are all about!!"
(the crowd roars as Gordy throws down the mic to go check on his fallen partners)

Great use of your roster.

Love the champions you have chosen.

Can't wait for Starrcade.

I am also interested in seeing who will be feuding who in Mid-Atlantic. I think the Freebirds are one of those promotion changing teams. They make any wrestling angle wonderful.

Great first show and looking forward to the next.

Memphis is waiting to see who wins the NWA Title as Jerry Lawler is set to be the next challanger on Dec 26.

Feedback is much appreciated.....I'm very excited to have the Freebirds...I have a lot of plans for them moving forward....cause there's so much you can do with the babyface Freebirds and EVEN MORE you can do with the heel Freebirds down the line.

Looking forward to seeing Lawler challenge the winner of the World title match at Starrcade!

Great main event. I kept thinking Roberts was going to show up and that it was all a scam. Even when he was limping in a with a bandage, I still thought he was just going to go wild. I love being wrong on my predictions in this game. It is what wrestling is all about. The element of surprise or the occurrence of the unexpected is what keeps us all hooked on wrestling.

Great show! Freebird vs Guerreros is going to be awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

(Since this show is the go home show to Starrcade that's already been posted, I'm gonna post a more condensed tv show than I normally will...I'll have another episode this weekend)

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling TV

Spartanburg, S.C.
Taped on 12/15/83
Airing on 12/24/83
television_slate.jpg
(Show opening rolls, we then go to ringside with Tony Schiavone and David Crockett who welcomes everyone to this week's show and reminds that Starrcade '83 is taking place tomorrow night in Greensboro and airing on Closed Circuit television)
SchiavoneCrockett.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. Tag Team Champions The Grapplers w/Johnny Valiant defeated Dusty Wolfe/Gary Royal when Grappler #2 pinned Royal after a swinging neckbreaker
GrapplersColor.jpg
=======================================================
Promo: Bob Caudle talks to the Freebirds who talk about their big match against the Guerreros tomorrow at Starrcade and also their 'Loser Leaves Town' match tonight in Anderson, S.C. against Butcher/Mad Dog Vachon
Freebirds.jpg
COMMERCIALS
Mid Atlantic Champion "Exotic" Adrian Street w/Ms. Linda beat Sivi Afi by submission with a half boston crab
AdrianStreetLinda1.jpg
Another highlight video airs of "Macho Man" Randy Savage showing highlights of his matches in I.C.W. with an on screen graphic that says: "Coming Soon to Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling"
RandySavageRobe.jpg
Kamala w/Skandar Akbar pinned Denny Brown after a big splash
Kamala.jpg
COMMERCIAL
Bob Caudle speaks with Barry Windham/Sam Houston backstage who promise to take the U.S. Tag Team Titles away from the Grapplers at Starrcade
BobCaudle.jpg
MAIN EVENT
"Nature Boy" Ric Flair defeats "Chief" Jay Strongbow by submission with the figure four leglock
Flair goes over to Tony Schiavone and talks about how tomorrow night is HIS night.....he's gonna "walk the aisle" the challenger and walk back out the champion!
Schiavone closes the show by running down the entire card for Starrcade in Greensboro!
tony-schiavone.jpg

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling

Rec. Center- Anderson, S.C.
House Show
Bell time: 7:30pm
12/24/83
05-midatlantic.jpg
(David Crockett welcomes the crowd to Anderson, South Carolina and reminds everyone to watch Starrcade '83 on closed circuit television tomorrow night or make the trip to Greensboro as a limited amount of tickets are still available)
Denny Brown pinned "Hustler" Rip Rogers with a sunset flip in 7:32
Kamala w/Skandar Akbar beat Spike Huber after a big splash in 4:19
U.S. Tag Team Champion Grappler #2 w/Johnny Valiant pinned Pedro Morales with his feet on the 2nd rope in 13:11
Sam Houston/Barry Windham defeated Tiger Chung Lee/Toru Tanaka w/Mr. Fuji when Windham pinned Lee after a running bulldog in 16:42
Mid-Atlantic Championship Match
"Exotic" Adrian Street © w/Ms. Linda went to a 20 minute time limit draw with NWA Television Champion Terry Gordy
United States Championship Match
Terry Taylor © defeated U.S. Tag Team Champion Grappler #1 w/Johnny Valiant with a backslide.....after the pinfall....Grappler #2 hit the ring and the tag champs double teamed Taylor until their Starrcade opponents Barry Windham/Sam Houston hit the ring and ran them off.
MAIN EVENT
LOSER LEAVES TOWN
The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes/Buddy Roberts) beat Butcher/Mad Dog Vachon when Hayes pinned Butcher with a small package in 27:33 The Vachons have to leave Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling!