Pro Wrestling Only

NECW

Guest Some Guy

Guest Some Guy

I was reading Meltzer's latest post on his site and at the bottom it listed some New England Championship Wrestling shows, one of which is in Somerville which is like a 15 minute drive from my house. I cheacked out their website and the tickets are only $8 but I'd never heard of a single one of the workers.

This is a link to their list of wrestlers:

http://www.necwwrestling.com/stars.htm

Has anybody heard of them and if so are they worth dropping $8 and a Thursday night to see?

Guest The Metal Maniac

I've never heard of any of those people.

However, if I was you, I'd go anyway, because indy wrestling live rules. I mean, even if the workers aren't that good, you can shout insults at them that you KNOW they heard.

Besides, it's $8, and if the shows do well, they'll probably be back sometime, maybe with better talent.

The live event is the backbone of pro wrestling, and I'd always encourage people to check out as many as they can. I wish indies ran here, but they don't; I caught every house show to come through this area for nearly ten years, but now that we're in a monopoly, I don't feel all that enthused about going to WWE house shows, since they're clearly a company afterthought and the wrestlers dog their performances anyway because there are no cameras. I think, now more than ever, the more talent that's being developed out there and the more people get a chance to see it, the better the business will be for it in a long haul. I've been to some shitty wrestling shows in my time, but I've never not managed to have a good time. I'd go.

Guest Some Guy

I'll probably go. It will be a matter of whether or not I can drag a friend along. My best friends used to be a big WCW mark (he loved La Parka and Psychosis) and then got into WWF with Rock and Austin, but has since stopped watching, he'll probably be my best bet. Even if the show sucks it's at Good Times which is a huge sports bar type deal with pool tables and arcade games. It's about the most delapidated building that still has an occupancy license that you'll ever see but it has some charm to it, I suppose. Some kid got stabbed to death there last summer, so it's always exciting.

The worse the show the better. Especially if everyone has been drinking. We get ECCW shows at the Legion here, and the roof's so low they can't really jump off the op rope but it's alot of fun.

One time there was a mini riot after about some drunk guys jumped into the ring to go after a wrestler. The entire locker room cleared out. Good times.