Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-01-16-Revolution Pro-High Stakes] Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll

cactus

This reminded me of an early 2000's ROH epic. Ospreay isn't afraid to risk hurting himself when he bumps and it puts over Scrull's offense well. Ospreay is one of the few natural babyface wrestlers still about. He's insanely athletic, can bump well and can garner sympathy from any crowd. I'm not usually the biggest Scurll fan, but he was great in this. A total dick who enjoyed torturing Ospreay in a manner of ways. This match holds up on a rewatch. Did it go into overkill? Yeah, maybe. But when you'd start questioning if they should start wrapping things up, they throw a cool counter or move into the works and you are back into it. My only other gripe with this match is how quickly move on from that sickening finger bending spot. That spot was brutal and should of been an important part of the match, instead they quickly moved on to next sequence. I'll be shocked if this isn't my UK MOTY by the end of 2016.
★★★★½

Impressive spotfest but the kind of match that makes me think more about what was wrong with it than what was good. These guys could have a hell of a match if they learned to sell and build up a match rather than throwing everything out nonstop with no importance placed on any of the moves or spots.

As mentioned elsewhere, my thoughts afterwards were just how much more this could've been with more selling and psychology and slowing things down just a notch. But nitpicks aside, this was about as a great as a match of this style can be. They were pulling off spots and counters in such rapid-fire succession that you can't help but be amazed. Really looking forward to seeing Ospreay develop. Sky is the limit.

****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2016-01-16-Revolution Pro-High Stakes] Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll