Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-04-03-WWE-Wrestlemania XXXII] Brock Lesnar vs Dean Ambrose

GOTNW

I actually liked this a lot more than I ever thought I would. I've been quite disappointed with Lesnar's recent work but I think this delivered on what I'd hoped to see out of it. I've seen statements that this felt more tame and less violent than the usual Lesnar match and my response to that would be that the violence in the usual Lesnar match is probably overstated. Maybe I just dislike Ambrose enough I was fine with watching him get Suplexed a million times but I truly believe there was more to it. Ambrose's wacky character is stupid in 95% of wrestling roles but it might be great at just getting squashed. I didn't see the weapons as an attempt to reach some huge level of brutality as much as a means of Ambrose having a way to fire back against Lesnar and this match lasting longer than five minutes. In a way it is hilarious that Ambrose is acting like the new age hardcore icon, being endorsed by Terry Funk and Mick Foley and wearing an Onita-esque jacket and then he gets in there with a former UFC champion who suplexes him twenty five times and you remember wrestling is a work. The chainsaw spot was unnecessary but I don't think it hurt the match, Ambrose's gimmick is that he's stupid anyway. I liked the way Lesnar used Germans to transition back into offence here and the way he just planted himself on Ambrose's Double Underhook DDT was nasty. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2016-04-03-WWE-Wrestlemania XXXII] Brock Lesnar vs Dean Ambrose