Pro Wrestling Only

What Are You Watching? -- April 2005

Loss

EDIT: Yeah, I liked it so much that I had to post it twice. :)

Smackdown tag title match tonight was really fun and interesting. First time I've seen NMN, who came across as a lite Matt and Jeff Hardy, with Melinda being Lita lite, at least as a second. I like the gimmicks, though, as they're the Hollywood Blonds gone completely over the top. I don't know if the paparazzi photography is a total necessity to accompany the entrance, but it hammers the point home. This is going to be a fun team and maybe a team to revitalize one tag division with.

As for Rey and Eddie, their angle about a potential split continues, after Rey's inadvertent crossbody. Eddie's reactions for the rest of the match are incredible, from leaving halfway to returning, as well as the facial expressions for the rest of the match. I hate to say it, but I almost feel Rock should get Eddie into Hollywood, as his acting ability is being wasted here. You really do, though, feel that Eddie is neither a good person, nor a bad person, just someone who's stuck at a crossroads right now as far as his relationship with Rey goes. The crowd itself feels he is bad, but that doesn't last as long, as it really is tough to conclude what's on Eddie's mind. I won't spoil much aside from that, but you'll have to check it out to see what I mean.

As for the ring action itself, it's really fast-paced and makes a fine WCW cruiser tag team from 2001 style of match. I see now how everyone compares Rey to Kawada, as he was fine selling, but I really like the kicks he's thrown into his offense. The stuff with Eddie at the beginning is okay, but I found NMN were on the money in the first time I've seen them, as they really weren't out of place for any moment of time. The angle will mean more than the match, but if you need a free TV match tonight, you could do worse.

I got the Unforgiven 2001 and experienced the joy of Taker/Kane vs Kronik again.

The best part hands down is when Kronik fucks up a double team whatever on Taker, leaving Kane to perch on the top rope like a 300 pound parakeet while Taker positions Adams (?) in the proper place for Kane's clothesline while audibly yelling "FUCK!" in frustration.

Interview - Steve Austin - 1995 (ECW)

I think I enjoyed this more than anything I watched tonight, honestly. Steve Austin is so good at pretty much everything he does that it's easy to forget it sometimes, because we've been so overexposed to him over the past few years that we take him for granted. I do think the worked shoot tone isn't quite my tastes, as it's never a good idea to openly acknowledge that all of your ideas for feuds were turned down by management the last place you worked, but what makes this special is the delivery, the passion, the facial expressions, the editing. The constant zoom ins on his eyes are a thing of art and convey the point very well, and it's obvious he means what he says. It's hard to pick a favorite Austin interview because he's done so many great ones, but this is certainly close to the top.

Interview - Steve Austin - 1995 (ECW)

I think I enjoyed this more than anything I watched tonight, honestly. Steve Austin is so good at pretty much everything he does that it's easy to forget it sometimes, because we've been so overexposed to him over the past few years that we take him for granted. I do think the worked shoot tone isn't quite my tastes, as it's never a good idea to openly acknowledge that all of your ideas for feuds were turned down by management the last place you worked, but what makes this special is the delivery, the passion, the facial expressions, the editing. The constant zoom ins on his eyes are a thing of art and convey the point very well, and it's obvious he means what he says. It's hard to pick a favorite Austin interview because he's done so many great ones, but this is certainly close to the top.

Which one is this one, Loss? He did a couple of these worked shoot interviews.

In this one, he impersonates Dusty Rhodes, talks about how plans to reunite the Hollywood Blonds were squashed, talks about being told to make Bagwell look good for seven minutes and about how he wanted to be a Steve-o-maniac, but that Hogan told him it wouldn't happen. This isn't the one where he's impersonating Hogan. He's addressing his firing in WCW and how it went down, and how no one will stop him from reaching the level he deserves to reach now.

In this one, he impersonates Dusty Rhodes, talks about how plans to reunite the Hollywood Blonds were squashed, talks about being told to make Bagwell look good for seven minutes and about how he wanted to be a Steve-o-maniac, but that Hogan told him it wouldn't happen. This isn't the one where he's impersonating Hogan. He's addressing his firing in WCW and how it went down, and how no one will stop him from reaching the level he deserves to reach now.

Okay, it's the one I thought you were talking about. The other one he did that was similar in tone was one in December of '95 just before the end, where he talks about being beaten by Mikey Whipwreck at less than 100%, plus got back into some details of his past, IIRC. The one you covered is one of my favourite interviews he ever did too. Minor correction: It wasn't Bagwell he was talking about; I believe it was Alex Wright. "Go out there for 7 minutes and make that German kid look good" or something along those lines was his quote.

Grumble, grumble, double post.

Okay, it's the one I thought you were talking about. The other one he did that was similar in tone was one in December of '95 just before the end, where he talks about being beaten by Mikey Whipwreck at less than 100%, plus got back into some details of his past, IIRC. The one you covered is one of my favourite interviews he ever did too. Minor correction: It wasn't Bagwell he was talking about; I believe it was Alex Wright. "Go out there for 7 minutes and make that German kid look good" or something along those lines was his quote.

Guest Famous Mortimer

The Chikara Pro 2005 World Tag tourney.

Darkness Crabtree is absolutely brilliant. Hilarious stuff, well worth checking out and watching with mind on low.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

For my next reviews, get ready for a double-shot of Suck.

Not only will I be watching Hunter v Steiner I, but Hunter v Steiner II as well. It's back to back Suck, baby.