Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-05-08-DDT] Daisuke Sasaki vs Yukio Sakaguchi

superkix

Nothing super high-end but a solid, entertaining match smartly worked by Sasaki and one of the better KO-D Openweight title matches of the year. Sasaki is one of the better indie guys out there, and he's good at stringing together his offense in a realistic way. Like if one thing doesn't work, he quickly transitions into the next as to not give Yukio time to breath. Sakaguchi was a good first defense opponent and it made Sasaki wrestle as if in real constant danger of losing his title. Loved Yukio's snap kick and knee rush to Sasaki's defensive stance. Yukio's strikes looked really sound, especially his kicks and knees, and Sasaki did a great job of selling them. I'm also a big fan of arm-traps during submissions to prevent escape. There's a few hiccups -- mainly a couple of nonsensical set-ups and stalling. The finish wasn't great but it played up Sasaki's desperation. I'm excited for Sasaki/Konosuke. His 4:17 match with Ishikawa from the same show is worth checking out.

• GSR changed the title to [2016-05-08-DDT] Daisuke Sasaki vs Yukio Sakaguchi
  • 1 month later...

I like that Sasaki sticks out a pseudo-jab whenever he faces Sakaguchi. It could be easily construed as silly, but I appreciate that he usually has little touches like that in his matches, depending on the opponent/the gimmick/etc. Besides, Sakaguchi does kick his arm out and then throws a great flying knee so it's not like simply extending your arm while standing up is presented as this great technique. I felt the middle of the match was a bit rote and slow. It feels like they're taking turns to go on offense, which is something I never like, even if every sequence and move is good on its own as it is here. The last-third is more mat-based, and I thought it was good for as long as that lasted. Sakaguchi does a lovely cobra choke in this match, and Sasaki can actually trade submission holds with him. There's some good struggle spots in this match. Eventually, Sasaki starts cheating out of desperation and he wins after kicking Sakaguchi in the nuts. I actually liked that, Sasaki is great as a piece of shit heel.

• 2 years later...