Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Results for June 1984

rainmakerrtv

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN, June 8th

Tom Zenk vs. Paul Diamond

As one half of the AWA Southern Tag Team champions the Nor Am Express, Tom Zenk has mostly been dealing with the challenge of the Latin Lovers. However, Badd Company has felt like they have been overlooked for title contention, and in this match they would get in the ring with the champs, albeit in a singles match between two rookies. This was a predictably fast paced and dynamic match that could have gone either way, but as it wore on, it seemed clear that the coaching Zenk had gotten from Phil Lafon and Jose Lothario was paying off. Zenk was gradually able to assume complete control of the match and was able to duck a desperation superkick from Diamond, countering by locking him in the Sleeper. This was the cue for Pat Tanaka to dash into the ring and take Zenk down with a vicious legsweep, leading to the DQ decision that cost Zenk a decisive victory over Diamond.

The Wild Bills vs. The Latin Lovers

The Wild Bills clearly were more interested in getting revenge on the third member of the Lovers, Al Perez, for his recent string of victories over them in singles matches. As it stood, they settled for battering his partners, Vinnie Valentino and Javier Cruz. There seemed to be an extra thread of viciousness to their attacks and the ref had his work cut out for him just trying to keep one of the Bills in the ring at a time, not to mention Col. Buck Robley making his presence felt whenever he could. While Billy Jack and Robley were pummeling Valentino in one corner, Bill Irwin was setting up Cruz for the superplex in the opposite corner. Little did he know that Al Perez had snuck down to ringside and wound the Bills’ own bullrope around Irwin’s ankle and when he went for the superplex, he was thrown off by the bullrope and awkwardly crashed to the mat. An exhausted Cruz draped an arm over Irwin and got the pin. Perez proceeded to laugh at the Army but his partners seemed puzzled that he would resort to such a tactic.

“Wild Man” Jack Armstrong vs. Angel Acevedo

One again, Armstrong gets caught in the crossfire of the war between his good friends, the Road Warriors, and their current rivals, the Cuban Commandos. This was pretty much a bare knuckled slug fest between two brawlers where the momentum of the match swung back and forth. It looked like Armstrong was about to polish off Acevedo with a mighty running clothesline, but the Cuban Assassin ducked at the last moment and came back with a running neckbreaker drop that flattened the Wild Man. He then picked him up and hit an over-the-shoulder neckbreaker that finished Armstrong off for good.

AWA American Title match : Tito Santana © vs. Rip Oliver

Of late, Santana has had his hands full with Bob Sweetan challenging for his American title, but this time out it was Sweetan’s fellow Playboy Club member Rip Oliver taking on the popular Mexican firebrand. Oliver looked to be trying to soften Santana up for his teammate, with moves that looked more likely to injure than win the match and focusing particular attention on the neck of Santana. Santana was able to rally with a series of lightning quick dropkicks followed by hitting the Mexican Hammer Forearm that got the pinfall in a successful title defense.

Paul Orndorff vs. “Crusher” Jerry Blackwell

Mr. Wonderful was making his first appearance in a match since being kicked out of the Sinister Syndicate, and the fans seemed ready to accept his change of heart as they cheered on his quest for revenge. The Syndicate, for their part, seemed determined to nip his threat right in the bud by sending out their biggest gun, the huge “Crusher” Jerry Blackwell. Blackwell presented a considerable challenge to Orndorff, as his incredible bulk curtailed any attempt to slam him. Orndorff adapted to this by instead rocking him with big tackles and clotheslines to try to take him off his feet. Blackwell, on the other hand, felt free to slam Orndorff to his heart’s content, dropping several meaty elbow drops to wear down his former cohort. Seeking to get rid of Orndorff once and for all, Blackwell held the exhausted Mr. Wonderful in a waistlock while Sheikh Kaissie entered the ring and unleashed a huge fireball. Orndorff, however, was able do break loose just in time, and the Crusher caught to fireball square in the chest. Orndorff tossed the mortified Sheikh out of the ring then hit a big running kneedrop on the felled Blackwell for the win.

AWA show at the Cow Palace, San Francisco, June 8th (as shown on ESPN Supercards)

Great Gama Sing vs. “Wild Man” Jack Armstrong

Sing won with the Camel Clutch

“Crusher” Jerry Blackwell vs. Jose Lothario

Blackwell won with a running splash

The Latin Lovers (Vinnie Valentino, Javier Cruz & Al Perez) vs. The Wild Bills & The Super Destroyer

The Latin Lovers won when, after Perez tripped Irwin while coming off the ropes, Cruz hit a swinging neckbreaker

AWA Southern Title match : Buddy Rose © vs. Iceman Parsons

Parsons won with the Inside Out Backbreaker

The Road Warriors vs. The Cuban Commandos

The contest was thrown out after the match broke down into in and out of the ring brawling

AWA Southern Tag Title match : The Nor-Am Connection © vs. Badd Company

The Nor-Am Connection won when Zenk dropkicked Tanaka into a Cobra Clutch Suplex by Lafon

AWA American Title match : Tito Santana © vs. Bob Sweetan

Both men went to a 30 minute time limit draw

The Garvins & Paul Orndorff vs. Mr. Olympia, One Man Gang & Sheikh Adnan Kaissie

The Sheikh and his crew thought they had it all sewn up as then had Jimmy Garvin trapped in their corner , relentlessly working over his right arm. But the Sheikh got cocky, taking time to grandstand and jaw with the ref, not taking in that Ron Garvin and Paul Orndorff had knocked his partners from the ring. He turned around to find he was facing all three members of the opposition, who took him down and hit a spike piledriver for the victory.

I too like the idea of Orndorff being the man. I still thing there is juice left in Hogan as they are back now, so we will see how he fares upon his return from Japan. I am very invested in the Road Warriors and what their future holds. I know they made a great name for themselves by traveling and dominating everywhere. I see a bright future for them and look forward to what their next move is going to be.

I've said it before, I really like the direction Tito Santana is in. America's champ, and defending the title on most shows. He can go with just about anyone, and has shown he will defend that title in 30-minute broadways.

As you can tell with a lot of my shows, I like the 6, 8, and 10-man tags, so having this big six-man tag to main event this last show was really fun.

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN, June 15th

Interview : Mean Gene stands in the AWA control center

Mean Gene : Folks, the AWA recently has been shaken by some big news concerning one of its biggest stars. Here to give his side of that story is the former 2 time AWA World Champion, Hulk Hogan.

Hogan comes out, more subdued than normal.

Hogan : Thanks so much, Mean Gene, for you and the AWA board of directors giving me this chance to speak my piece. As you know, I am coming towards the end of my contract with the AWA. At the same time that my contract negotiation was approaching, a major new opportunity has been presented to me to enter another promotion and gain exposure to a whole new set of fans. Now this was a very tough decision for me, as everyone know how much the AWA fans mean to me, but as I was ultimately not able to come to terms with the AWA for a new contract, I came to the realization that it was time for the Hulkster to move on. I have accomplished almost every thing I have set out to in the AWA and at the July 4th show in the Metrodome, I will wrestle my last AWA match.

Mean Gene : Hulkster, you said that you have accomplished *almost* everything … would you like to clarify?

Hogan : Well, y’know, Mean Gene … I have one last bit of unfinished business to take care of. Before I left for my tour of Japan, I was having a lot of trouble with my former friend, Mr. Olympia. He betrayed me, he cost me my World title, he even cost me my shot at being #1 contender again. So in the Metrodome, I have signed for one final match, no excuses, no outside interference, mano a mano … and I will get my revenge on Mr. Olympia as my last statement to the great AWA fans.

Mean Gene : Well, Hulkster, I understand your position but you will certainly be missed.

Hogan : Thank you, Mean Gene, it has been a pleasure working with you.

Super Destroyer & Manny Fernandez vs. Al Perez & Da Crusher

Whether it was because they were wary of Perez and his recent string of victories over members of the Army, or it was because of the hatred between Fernandez and Da Crusher, the members of the Army looked determined to keep Perez out of the ring. They kept up a furious attack on Da Crusher, brawling with him while keeping him in their corner of the ring and preventing Perez from tagging in. On a couple of occasions, it looked like he had managed to tag in, only for Col. Robley and his men to distract the ref at the last second and Perez would be sent back into his corner. This finally caught up with the Army as, while Super Destroyer and Fernandez were brawling with Crusher and Robley was jawing with the ref, Perez simply strode into the ring, slapped his hands together behind the ref’s head, and then caught Super D unawares with an inside cradle. The ref, thinking that he had heard Perez legally tag in, rushed over and counted the pinfall as Fernandez and Crusher slugged it out. The Army was livid but the result stood.

Paul Orndorff vs. Chick Donovan

This match up of two muscular men showed how Orndorff was gaining momentum since moving over to the side of the fan favorites. Donovan tried to lure Mr. Wonderful into a pose down but Orndorff wouldn’t be drawn in, instead rocking Donovan with a clothesline and following up with several high impact power slams before finishing him off with a piledriver. The crowd cheered loudly as Orndorff stood tall in the ring.

AWA Southern Tag Title match : The Nor-Am Express © vs. The Wild Bills

The Southern Tag champs have been facing some pretty intense competition of late, but his was perhaps their toughest challenge in facing much larger opponents, namely the former World Tag champions the Wild Bills. The Bills came in with a reputation of bullying their opposition, but the Nor-Am Express were clearly having none of that. Zenk and Lafon dealt with the Bills’ attempts to overpower them by using their speed and technical expertise to out-maneuver, out-think and just plain out wrestle Irwin and Haynes. Every time the Bills thought they had the Express dead to rights, they would pull out some high flying or double team move to retake control of the match. The Wild Bills finally got so frustrated that they brought their bullropes into the ring and clocked Zenk with the cowbell right in front of the ref, leading to a DQ. Even then, their attempts to curb stomp Zenk were cut short by Lafon knocking them off with a flying double clothesline and he and Zenk attacked the Bills every time they tried to get back in the ring, playing King Of The Mountain with the much bigger team. The Nor-Am Express are clear that they are not intimidated by anyone, including the Wild Bills.

Tito Santana & Greg Gagne vs. Buddy Rose & Bob Sweetan

This match featured a champion on either side and continued Santana and Gagne’s individual wars with members of the Playboy Club. Gagne was clearly on fire and gunning for Rose, trying to take as much advantage to wear him down for their Southern title matches, to the extent that is was all Santana could do to keep him reigned in and under control. This wound up costing them as Gagne was able to get the Gagne Sleeper on Rose, but as the ref was ushering Santana back out of the ring, Sweetan was able to hit Gagne with a nasty clip to the back of the leg to break up the hold. Rose then made the cover on the badly hurt Gagne for the win.

The Garvins & Adrian Street vs. Ken Patera, One Man Gang & Mr. Olympia

This was Patera’s first match back on his return from Japan, where he had knocked off several challenges from both Japanese and American wrestlers in a series of very impressive title defenses. In his absence, the Syndicate had their hands full with the Garvins and Patera looked set to take command and get the Syndicate back on track. The Garvins and Street came at them full bore but this was clearly a Syndicate with a new focus to shut down any potential challenges, tagging in and out of the ring and double or triple teaming their opposition whenever possible. Street got more and more reckless as the match went on, ultimately staggering Patera with a pair of running clotheslines but the third time turned out to be too many as Patera caught him and then hit him with a brutal backbreaker. He got the three count and delivered a message to the Garvins and any other challengers : you want my belt, you better step your game up and be ready to pay the consequences.

AWA show at the Denver Auditorium, Denver, June 15th (shown on ESPN Supercards)

Gama Singh vs. Jose Lothario

Singh won with the Cobra Clutch

Al Perez vs. Manny Fernandez

Perez won with a rollup after Fernandez was distracted by Da Crusher at ringside

The Wild Bills vs. The Latin Lovers

The Wild Bills won when they hit a double lariat on Cruz

AWA Southern Title match : Buddy Rose © vs. Greg Gagne

Gagne won by DQ when he was attacked by Rip Oliver and Ed Wiskowski, but did not win the title.

AWA World Tag Title match : The Heavenly Bodies © vs. The Mothership Connection

In a match that went over 29 minutes and looked like it might go to the time limit, Parsons was going for a piledriver on Prichard when Eaton came off the top rope and hit an elbow smash to the back of the head, then put Prichard on top of Parsons to get the win

Hulk Hogan vs. Mr. Olympia

Both men were counted out when they were brawling outside the ring

The Garvins vs. Ken Patera vs. One Man Gang

In a match when the Syndicate kept working over Jimmy Garvin’s right arm, Garvin managed to get One Man Gang in position for the DDT but couldn’t sink it in, and when he went for it again, Patera leveled him with a massive lariat to give the victory to the Syndicate

In retrospect, Patera heading to Japan actually worked out pretty well for me. I wanted to be able to build up challengers but at the same time keep the champ and his crew strong. With him away, the Garvins were able to pick up some wins and establish themselves as top contenders. Now that the champ is back, though, the Sinister Syndicate has regained focus and the babyfaces are going to find it a much steeper climb.

AWA All Star Wrestling on ESPN for June 22nd

Ron Garvin vs. Rip Oliver

Ron Garvin’s main focus of late, which he shares with his brother, has been World Champion Ken Patera and the rest of the Sinister Syndicate, but this time out he faced one of the members of the Playboy Club, Rip Oliver. The man with the Hands Of Stone pummeled Oliver with big punches but Oliver, a tough veteran himself, fired back with his own haymakers. While the battle waged back and forth, Garvin was ultimately able to knock Oliver of his feet with a shoulder block then pounded him into the mat with the Garvin Stomp. He then hoisted Oliver up in a piledriver to get the win.

Tito Santana & Al Perez vs. Mike Shaw & Super Destroyer

Interestingly, for this match with his rivals the Army, Perez brought in the American champion instead of his partners in the Latin Lovers. Regardless, Santana was no stranger to Shaw or the rest of Col. Robley’s Army and the two effortlessly worked like a well oiled machine, tagging in and out and hitting double team and combination moves on their much bigger opposition with ease. Super Destroyer finally had enough and tossed Santana over the top rope. He then directed his attention to Al Perez, grabbing him and hoisting him over his shoulder for a power slam, only for the Latin Heartthrob to slide down his back and grab him in a waistlock. He also failed to notice that Santana had grabbed the top rope on the way out and landed on the apron, then projected himself using the rope in a slingshot clothesline on Super D who then went into a German Suplex by Perez for the victory.

Badd Company & Chick Donovan vs. The Latin Lovers & Greg Gagne

One again, it is a bit surprising that Valentino and Cruz are rounding out their team with Gagne instead of their regular partner Al Perez. Regardless, the Lovers had the match well in hand over the rookie team of Badd Company , combining the Lovers’ speed and Gagne’s technical skill to dominate the less experienced team. The match took a turn for the worse, however, when Buddy Rose, likely looking for a chance to get at Gagne before he challenged for the Southern Title on July 4th, snuck down to ringside. When Gagne was coming off the ropes, Rose snagged his leg and sent him staggering. This left him vulnerable to a thrust kick to the jaw by Tanaka, who swiftly covered him for the shocking (if tainted) upset.

AWA Southern Title match : Buddy Rose © vs. Tom Zenk

Rose was taking on the talented newcomer Zenk in this title defense and brought along with him Ed Wiskowski and Bob Sweetan of the Playboy Club, likely to watch his back against a vengeance seeking Greg Gagne. Perhaps he should have spent time focusing on Zenk, as the handsome rookie bounced Rose all over the ring with dropkicks and high flying moves. Zenk then ascended the top rope to try to win the title with the flying dropkick. It was now that the Playboy Club chose to strike, with Sweetan distracting the ref while Wiskowski shoved Zenk off the top rope, sending him plummeting to the mat. Rose then picked up Zenk for the inside out backbreaker but Greg Gagne, unable to take anymore, charged into the ring and attacked him, leading to a DQ win for Rose. The Playboy Club then swarmed Gagne and Zenk, beating them both down with force of numbers until the Mothership Connection and the rest of the Nor-Am Express ran in to clear them off.

Hulk Hogan & Paul Orndorff vs. Mr. Olympia & Jerry Blackwell

The fans came out in force to cheer on Hogan in one of their last chances to see him in the AWA, as he teamed with his former rival Orndorff to take on the Sinister Syndicate, including his former friend Mr. Olympia. For all that Olympia had been gunning for Hogan before, he could tell that Hogan was very hot for vengeance as he clearly wanted no part of the Hulkster, only entering the ring when he faced Orndorff or when he Blackwell had beaten down Hogan. The battle of titans waged back and forth and the Syndicate looked to be done with it when Blackwell got Orndorff in a Full Nelson, setting him up to be hit by their fellow Syndicate member the One Man Gang and his chain. Orndorff was able to free himself just in time and Gang hit Blackwell in the face with the chain. Hogan tossed Gang from the ring and Orndorff took Olympia down with a dropkick , followed Hogan dropping the Big Leg on Blackwell for the pin.

AWA show at the Mecca in Milwaukee, June 22nd (as shown on ESPN Supercards)

Al Perez vs. The Great Gama Singh

Singh thought that he had the match won when he got Perez in the Camel Clutch , but he failed to notice that Perez had gotten his leg under the bottom rope. When Singh prematurely celebrated victory, Perez got him in a roll up for the pin fall

Mike Shaw vs. Jose Lothario

Shaw won with a running splash

Road Warriors vs. the Cuban Commandos

The Road Warriors won with a double flying shoulder tackle on Morrow

AWA Southern Tag Title match : The Nor-Am Express © vs. The Latin Lovers

The match was thrown out when the Wild Bills attacked both teams

AWA American Title match : Tito Santana ©vs. Bob Sweetan

Santana won by count out after he hit Sweetan with a top rope flying clothesline to the ringside area

Falls Count Anywhere Match : Da Crusher vs. Manny Fernandez

In a bloody match that harkened back to Crusher’s feud with Toru Tanaka, Crusher won when he hit a running Bolo Punch on Fernandez in the concession area, followed by dropping a beer barrel on his chest

Hulk Hogan, Paul Orndorff & The Garvins vs. Sheikh Adnan Kaissie, Ken Patera, One Man Gang & Mr. Olympia

Hogan’s team won when Jimmy Garvin got the DDT on Adnan Kaissie followed by Hogan hitting the Big Leg Drop

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN for June 29th

Four Corners Match : Chick Donovan vs. Great Gama Singh vs. Jose Lothario vs. Al Perez

Just before this match, it was announced that there would be a Four Corners match at the Winnipeg show for the newly minted AWA Six-Man Tag titles. Before that would occur, though, this match would feature representatives from each of those four teams. Donovan and Singh focused most of their attention Lothario, seemingly concerned about drawing in Perez with his impressive recent win streak in singles matches. The two men worked over Lothario until Donovan whipped him into the ropes, looking to polish him off with a big lariat. Lothario ducked the lariat and made the blind tag to Perez, who came in and flattened Donovan with his own lariat for the first elimination. Perez then swiftly tagged out and Lothario went at it with Gama Singh. The two battled back and forth until Singh looked set to lock him into the Cobra Clutch, only for Lothario to trap in an inside cradle and get the second elimination. No sooner had Lothario stood back up than Perez dashed into the ring and got him in a schoolboy rollup for the third and final elimination and victory in the match. Unusual tactics for the well liked Perez but it did give the Latin Lovers the momentum going into the title match.

The Road Warriors vs. Rip Oliver & Ed Wiskowski

The Warriors are currently gunning for the Cuban Commandos but before they could get to them, first they had to go through the Playboy Club. Oliver and Wiskowski tried their usual dirty tactics and double teams but the Warriors were clearly in no mood to be trifled with as they pretty much overwhelmed the Playboy Club and tore through them like a hot knife through butter before finishing off Oliver with the Doomsday Device. If Acevedo and Morrow weren’t concerned about being in the Road Warriors crosshairs before, they certainly should be now.

Greg Gagne & Tito Santana vs. Buddy Rose & Bob Sweetan

This match saw American champ Tito Santana teaming with Southern title contender Greg Gagne , to square off with the Southern champion Buddy Rose with American title contender Bob Sweetan. Both of the fan favorites have had a hard time getting decisive victories over Rose and Sweetan in their recent matches, but had no trouble working well as a team, for all that the Playboy Club was the more established partnership. They knocked Rose and Sweetan all over the ring with big dropkicks and befuddled their opponents with rapid fire, in and out tags and combination moves. Santana was able to blast Rose with a Mexican Hammer forearm that sent him flying out of the ring. As Rose struggled to his feet, he clearly decided that there was nothing to be gained from the match and it was time to cut bait. Sweetan wanted to stay and fight it out but Rose ordered him to follow him back to the locker room, leaving Gagne and Santana to get the unsatisfying countout victory.

Mr. Olympia vs. Da Crusher

With his betrayal of Hulk Hogan, Mr. Olympia has drawn the ire of not only the Hulkster but half of the AWA roster. This time out, it was the pub crawling veteran Da Crusher who was looking to get some lumps to avenge his good buddy Hogan. This was fierce brawl where Olympia found it extremely hard to keep Da Crusher contained. At one point , Crusher caught Olympia with a running Bolo Punch that knocked him out of the ring. Whenever Olympia tried to get back in the ring, Crusher came at him with haymakers, forcing the ref to separate the two. With the ref so distracted, Olympia slipped something into his mask and when Crusher came back, Olympia nailed him with a headbutt that sent him flat out onto the mat. Olympia then went up top and hit a flying headbutt for the win.

Rick Martel & Jimmy Garvin vs. Ken Patera & One Man Gang

The Sinister Syndicate has been incredibly focused ever since Ken Patera has returned from Japan. Their goal has been clear : destroy Jimmy Garvin before his July 4th World Title shot. Garvin needed to bring in some big guns to back him up and made a great choice in the Canadian champ, Rick Martel. Martel had Garvin’s back throughout the match, always there to disrupt any double team attempts or break up any submission holds. Garvin was able lock Patera in a sleeper hold and when One Man Gang tried to break it up, Martel was cut him off with a cross body block that took him down to the mat. Any hope Garvin had of taking down Patera in this match was shot down, however, when Mr. Olympia rushed in and attacked him. As the ref called for the DQ, the Syndicate used their numbers superiority to beat down Garvin and Martel until Hulk Hogan came to the ring to run them off.

AWA show from the Winnipeg Arena, June 21st (as shown on ESPN Supercards)

Four Corner Match for the new AWA Six-Man Tag Match : The Latin Lovers vs. Badd Company & Chick Donovan vs. The Nor-Am Express vs. The Cuban Commandos & Great Gama Singh

The first elimination happened when Pat Tanaka thrust kicked Jose Lothario into a Paul Diamond German Suplex, eliminating the Nor-Am Express. The second elimination occurred when the Road Warriors showed up at ringside to brawl with the Cuban Commandos, leading to the elimination of the Commandos by countout. Finally, Javier Cruz was setting up Diamond for El Volantin while Valentino tied up Chick Donovan, only for Tanaka to take him down with a brutal legsweep and put Diamond on top, giving the victory to Badd Company. Strangely, Al Perez saw Tanaka come in but did not stop him. Badd Company and Chick Donovan are now the AWA Six Man Champions

The Wild Bills vs. Ron Garvin & Paul Orndorff

Garvin and Orndorff won when Orndorff hit the Piledriver on Bill Irwin while Garvin gave the Garvin Stomp to Billy Jack Haynes

AWA World Tag Team title match : The Heavenly Bodies © vs. The Mothership Connection

The Mothership Connection won by DQ when Jim Cornette hit Iceman Parsons with the tennis racket. The Heavenly Bodies retained the titles.

AWA Southern Title match : Buddy Rose © vs. Greg Gagne

The match ended in a draw when it went to the 30 minute time limit. Gagne had the bloodied Rose in the Gagne Sleeper as the clock ticked down, but Rose was able to hold out long enough until the bell rang.

Hulk Hogan, Jimmy Garvin & Rick Martel vs. Mr. Olympia, Ken Patera & One Man Gang

Hogan’s team won when Martel dropkicked OMG into a schoolboy trip for Garvin to roll up Gang

There were some Four Corner matches in the 80s, notably this one :

Rock N Roll Express vs. Freebirds vs. Road Warriors vs. Dirty White Boys (New Orleans 3/30/85)

I'm still ahead of the pace, but figured this sort of match would be the best way to forward the rise of the 3 man factions in the undercard as well as showcase multiple angles.