Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-09-08-NWA TNA] Jeff Jarrett vs Jeff Hardy

El-P

Jeff Jarrett vs Jeff Hardy (NWA title match - TNA 09/08/04)

Jeff Hardy being treated like a megastar when he really had not been anything but a stuntman tag champ in WWF was really the first occurence of TNA making themselves look like WWE fetichists (there had been the D-Lo push, but it was more filler). Add the fact Hardy really looked poor in the few matches he had to that point, the last weekly PPV, and you got all the recipe for a wimper of a match. The entire PPV had been quite bad thus far too, easily the worst in months. Begins with an endless brawl involving security during the introduction, because this is so intense, you see, the biggest match of TNA, of Hardy's and Jarrett's career. I don't get Hardy at all. I know I'm not the right audience, but still. He should never try to punch. The thing is, he looks sloppy and works like he looks. I can't think one thing he's particulary good at. His flying looks pathetic compared to most of the X div guys. His striking is awful. I guess he can get sympathy from the girls. He does idiotic moves modifications (the Hardys & Edge, damn them). This was a complete nothing match, one of Jarrett's worst (after he had some really good stuff a few months before), with crappy pacing, going nowhere during an endless Korakuen walk brawling sequence leading to Hardy hitting his finisher so Jarrett can kickout (ah ah). Then Hardy kicks out of the Stroke (surprising somewhat, Jarrett can be carnier than this). Then a figure four with zero preparation of course. Then Hardy doing a sloppy looking crab. Run-ins from Dusty, Russo. Guitar shot. Even for a Double J Special, it was bad. Jarrett looked his old bad self from late 03 and Hardy looked like crap. This is a sad ending to the weekly PPV era, which had some good stuff buried in there.

• GSR changed the title to [2004-09-08-NWA TNA] Jeff Jarrett vs Jeff Hardy
  • 7 months later...

The start is really bad. They keep yelling about how out of control things are, but it doesn't *feel* out of control. Jarrett looks Christmas ready with the blood and green grease paint from Hardy's body. Crowd pops for some big spots but is otherwise eerily silent. The whole thing feels forced and inorganic. Really bad.