Pro Wrestling Only

AWA results for October 1984

rainmakerrtv

AWA All-Star Wrestling for Oct. 5th

Chick Donovan vs. Steve Jones

Donovan had been overheard saying that it took too long for Pat Tanaka to get a victory over the “Young Gentleman”, and said he was going out to show them how it was done. Jones came out with his friend and mentor, Mike Rotunda. Donovan came out followed by both members of Badd Company, but the moment they got to the ring, they went to the other side and stood by Rotunda, glaring at Donovan. Donovan started by flexing his biceps to try to intimidate Jones, but the English rookie looked distinctly unimpressed. He then tried to overpower Jones with a knuckle lock, only for Jones to reverse it into a hammer lock. This continued throughout the match, with Donovan trying to out muscle Jones and Jones effortlessly countering and putting Donovan in an abdominal stretch or a leglock. Donovan was finally able to get the advantage by digging into his bag of dirty tricks and eyeraking Jones followed by a low blow, which aroused the ire of the fans and everyone at ringside. He then proceeded to beat down Jones by repeatedly body slamming him then putting the boots to him. He tried this one too many times when Jones grabbed his foot, twisted the ankle, and got Donovan in a leglock . Thrashing wildly, Donovan was able to make it to the ropes so the ref called for a break. Jones then tried to put Donovan in a Sleeper hold , but Donovan countered by whipping Jones into the ref. With the ref down and out, Donovan looked to completely take over the match by reaching into his trunks and pulling out the brass knucks, but was surprised to see Diamond and Tanaka suddenly in the ring in front of him. Diamond forcible grabbed and extended Donovan’s arm while Tanaka snatched the knucks from his hand, then both men dove out of the ring. Donovan started shouting at his now former partners, then turned around to get a face full of Jones’ Iron Fist and went out like a light. Jones got the one two three as the crowd cheered, then Badd Company and Mike Rotunda entered the ring and raised Jones up on their shoulders in victory as Donovan lay unconscious on the mat.

Curt Hennig & Greg Gagne vs. Dave Schultz & Buzz Sawyer

The newest members of Col. Robley’s Army had caught Gagne and Hennig off guard in their first appearance, but the second generation superstars were clearly ready to take on Schultz and Sawyer this time out. Mad Dog and Dr. D charged in for the attack on Gagne and Hennig, but Gagne and Hennig fired back with equal intensity. A crazy match that seemed to be over when Hennig caught Sawyer in a cradle suplex, only for Schultz to break that up with a knee drop to Hennig’s midsection. Later, Schultz was ready to get the win after a huge running legdrop on Gagne, but that was broken up by Hennig hitting a leglock of his own to the back of Schultz head. Schultz and Sawyer then had a double bulldog attempt on Gagne cut short by a double lariat by Hennig. This was where the match broke down with both sides out and out brawling in the ring with no regard for the rules. When the ref was knocked down, he threw out the match and called a double DQ.

Master Gee vs. Ricky Santana

Master Gee has seemed a bit lost since the end of the Mothership Connection and has been trying to get back into the swing of things by challenging the AWA Southern Tag champs, in this case a singles match with one half of the championship team. Santana’s partner, Al Perez, was at ringside, and neither of them seemed to be taking Master Gee lightly, with Santana taking plenty of opportunities to showboat inside the ring and Perez clowning around outside. They really should have been paying closer to Master Gee, who took advantage of Santana turning his back on him by clipping him from behind with a big shoulder tackle and bowling him over. Master Gee swiftly applied the Master Lock and Santana had no choice but to submit. So sooner had the ref called the match in Master Gee’s favor then Al Perez rushed into the ring and knocked Master Gee to the ground. He and Santana proceeded to put the boots to Master Gee until Ricky Steamboat charged to the ring and ran them off.

The Long Riders vs. The Nor-Am Express

The huge Irwin Brothers had a distinct size advantage over Lafon and Zenk, but the Nor-Am Express didn’t seem to be intimidated, instead using their superior speed to stay one step ahead of Col. Robley’s men. Any attempt by the Long Riders to bully the Nor-Am Express was stymied by their quick in-and-out tags and double teams. When Bill whipped Lafon hard into the corner, Lafon ran up the ropes and looked to go for a flying back body press. Bill ducked down to counter, but Lafon instead hit a flying sunset flip and got the quick pinfall. The Long Riders grabbed their bullropes and looked like they would go after the Nor-Am Express, but the Express were long gone. Instead, Robley got on the ringside mic and demanded a rematch next week.

Bad News Allen vs. Koko Ware

Bad News came to the ring with Rip Oliver and Bob Sweetan by his side. Koko, in turn, was joined by Buddy Rose and Ed Wiskowski, which seemed to cement his status as part of Playboy After Dark. This situation was a powderkeg that seemed ready to blow at any time as Bad News and Koko battled back and forth. When the Bad News Breakers tried one too many times to interfere in the match, Rose and Wiskowski swiftly came over to their side to brawl with them. While the ref was distracted by this, Bad New seemed to slip something inside the black glove he wore on his right hand and blindsided Koko with a hard punch to the back of his head. With Koko staggered, Bad News hit the Bad News Blaster on Koko that dropped him hard to the mat and quickly got the one two three. As the two factions continued to brawl after the final bell, it showed that, while the Bad News Breakers may have won this battle, the war with Playboy After Dark was far from over.

AWA Six-Man Tag Title match : The Road Warriors & Paul Orndorff © vs. The Cuban Commandos & Gama Singh

When the Road Warriors and Mr. Wonderful won the six man titles from the Commandos and Great Gama, is was a quick and one sided match. This time out, in spite of a fierce effort by the challengers, looked to be going much the same way, with the champs maintaining control throughout with their superior power and size. The match would ultimately go completely off the rails, though, when three huge men ran to the ring and attacked the chaps. One of them was Kamala, a second looked to be Bob Roop (who had not been seen in the AWA before), but the third was an unfamiliar giant who looked a lot like Kamala. They caught the champions off guard and knocked them to the ground, getting a lot of shots in before the two giants swiftly executed two massive running splashes on Paul Orndorff before they ran out of the ring again. Mr. Wonderful was clearly in excruciating pain as the Road Warriors helped him to the locker room.

AWA Show at the Met Center, Bloomington, Oct. 5th

Mike Rotunda, Steve Jones & Badd Company vs. Chick Donovan, Gama Singh & The Cuban Commandos

Being introduced as the Young Lions, Steve Jones’ team won when Jones caught Donovan with the Iron Fist.

Greg Gagne vs. Dave Schultz

Schultz won with a piledriver

Curt Hennig vs. Buzz Sawyer

Hennig won with the Axe Lariat

Bad News Allen, Rip Oliver & Bob Sweetan vs. Buddy Rose, Ed Wiskowski & Koko Ware

Koko won for Playboy After Dark with a flying dropkick on Oliver

AWA American Title match : Don Muraco © vs. Ron Garvin

Muraco successfully defended his title with the belly to belly piledriver

AWA Southern Tag Title match : Al Perez & Ricky Santana © vs. Master Gee & Ricky Steamboat

While the champions spent much of the match working over Steamboat, they got the win when Perez hit a German Suplex on Master Gee. After the match, Perez pointed at Steamboat, indicating he was after the AWA Southern Title.

AWA Six-Man Tag Title match : The Road Warriors & Paul Orndorff © vs. Ken Patera, Kamala & ?

The mystery partner for the Syndicate turned out to be the giant who attacked the champions on All-Star Wrestling, who was introduced as the Botswana Beast. The Syndicate were joined by their manager, Sheikh Adnan Kaissie, as well as Bob Roop, who was announced as “Beastmaster” Bob Roop. The Road Warriors came out by themselves, and it was announced that Paul Orndorff would not participate in this match, due to injuries suffered at the hands of the Sinister Syndicate on All-Star Wrestling. The Syndicate looked well pleased with themselves, but their smug expressions turned to anger when it was announced that Orndorff’s replacement for the match would be …. Tito Santana! The popular Mexican firebrand not only had a reputation for never backing down from a challenge, he also could claim a victory in a title match against Ken Patera. Kamala and the Beast tried to work over Santana throughout the match with vicious chops and huge slams, but he kept coming back for more and the Road Warriors provided their own support through big power moves. Santana was able to hit the Mexican Hammer flying forearm on Patera when he was on the ring apron, knocking him all the way into the ringside barricade, and the World champion was not able to make it back into the ring in time. After the count out was declared, Santana got on the ringside mic and challenged Patera for the World title.

AWA show at Cobo Hall, Detroit, Oct. 6th

Mike Rotunda vs. Sheikh Adnan Kaissie

Rotunda won with a Samoan Drop. After the match, Kaissie screamed abuse at Rotunda, but Rotunda ignored it

Badd Company vs. The Cuban Commandos

Badd Company won with a double superkick on Gerry Morrow

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Gama Singh

McDaniel won with a high overhand tomahawk chop

Bad News Allen & Bob Sweetan vs. Buddy Rose & Koko Ware

The Bad News Breakers won when Allen hit Koko with the Bad News Blaster

AWA Southern Title match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Rip Oliver

Steamboat won with the top rope flying cross body press

AWA World Tag Title match : The Road Warriors © vs. The Long Riders

The Road Warriors won with a double flying shoulder tackle on Bill Irwin

AWA World Title match : Ken Patera © vs. Jerry Blackwell

Patera won when Blackwell went for an avalanche in the corner, but Patera got both his knees up

AWA All-Star Wrestling for Oct. 12th

The Long Riders vs. The Nor-Am Express

The Nor-Am express had gotten a shocking win over the much larger Long Riders last week, and the Long Riders had demanded a rematch. The Riders came out guns a blazing, charging to the ring and brawling with the Nor-Ams. The Nor-Ams were able to gradually work the match back towards their strength, sneaking in some of their trademark quick tags and ducking and dodging some of the Riders big moves. Phil Lafon was starting to pick up momentum, staggering both Irwin brothers with dropkicks, when the match took a strange turn. A huge man in a hockey mask came out of nowhere, grabbed Zenk by the leg and yanked him off the ring apron. It was Lord Humongous, who hadn’t been seen in the AWA in almost a year. He grabbed Zenk, hit a brutal over-the-knee backbreaker on him, drove him back first into the corner post and then front slammed him onto the floor before leaving. Lafon caught the last part at what happened and was shocked at the sudden taking out of his partner, and although when last seen, Lord Humongous was a member of Buck Robley’s Army, the Colonel and the Irwins seemed to be as surprised and confused by these events as everyone else. The Riders did manage to get their focus back onto the match to take advantage of Lafon’s distraction, hitting him with a double lariat to get the pin. Although the Nor-Am Express had lost the match, Lafon was far more concerned about his partner, hovering around him as he was taken to the back on a stretcher.

Interview : Ken Resnick stands in the ring

Resnick : My next guest have been generating a lot of talk in the AWA, ladies and gentlemen, Mike Rotunda, Steve Jones , Pat Tanaka and Paul Diamond!

The crowd cheers as all four men head to the ring and eagerly high five and shake hands with the fans, even the members of Badd Company

Resnick : Mike Rotunda, who would have thought that you would be able to gather a group that included both the Young Gentleman Steve Jones *and* Badd Company? A lot of people are calling you the Young Lions and even naming you their Captain.

Rotunda : Well, Ken, as you know, I was a letterman at Syracuse on the Wrestling team and was Captain of our squad, and have tried to give guidance and the benefit of my experience to these younger guys. Steve has been a very eager student, and I’m glad that I’ve been able to show Pat and Paul that there are no short cuts to success and that they would be able to truly make their mark by depending on their own skills, not through cheating.

Tanaka : That’s right, Mike. Paul and I got a bit frustrated early on, started trying to cheat to get ahead and were listening to the wrong people. People like so-called “Golden” Chick Donovan. Well, we’re through with Donovan, and thanks to Steve here, he’s not going to show his face around here anymore. It’s a whole new game for Badd Company, and with Mike’s guidance, we’re going to show people just what we are capable of. (Paul Diamond nods his head in agreement)

Resnick : By the way, I understand you have an announcement you would like to make, Steve Jones.

Jones : That’s correct, Mr. Resnick. Something the fans don’t know about me, my name isn’t actually Steve Jones. I am from an aristocratic family back in England, and I didn’t want to wrestle under my given name until I felt I had established myself. I took the name Steve Jones as a pseudonym so that I could get experience until I felt I had sufficiently proved myself to be worthy to compete under my family name. Well, after running Chick Donovan out of the AWA, I feel that day has come, and I am proud to go forward in my wrestling career under my true name : Steven Regal!

(The other members of the Young Lions pat him on the back in congratulations as the fans applaud.)

The Latin Lovers vs. Kamala & Botswana Beast

The newest members of the Sinister Syndicate were led to the ring by the “Beastmaster” Bob Roop. Roop didn’t seem to be so much in control of his two huge charges as he was directing them, pointing them at their opposition when the bell ring and leaving them to go wild on the Latin Lovers. Botswana Beast tore into Vinnie Valentino with a series of blistering chops to the chest before he knocked him to the ground and started kicking him, while Kamala did the same in the opposite corner to Javier Cruz. It wasn’t too long before Beast hit the Air Africa running splash on Valentino, followed by a second splash by Kamala, and that was it for the Latin Lovers. Is there any way to stop this terrifying new duo?

Pat Tanaka vs. Keichi Yamada

Tanaka’s first challenge after his change of heart would come in this match with the exciting young Japanese newcomer, Keichi Yamada. Both men bowed to each other before the opening bell, then the match started out with an exchange of takedowns and some exciting matwork. It then opened up with some more fast paced moves and dropkicks, with Tanaka just missing the big thrust kick on a few occasions and Yamada working Tanaka into some painful looking submissions, only for Tanaka to counter out or reach the ropes. Yamada had Tanaka set up for a Tiger Suplex to try to finish him off, only for Tanaka reverse it to a waistlock to go for the German Suplex, and for Yamada himself then counter with a single leg takedown and a grapevine that looked like it might just cause Tanaka to submit. Tanaka was able to make it to the ropes and the bell rang to signal a 15 minute time limit draw. Yamada helped Tanaka up and the two shook hands as the fans cheered their display of technical skill.

Mr. Olympia vs. Tito Santana

Mr. Olympia was once again acting as blocker for Ken Patera’s World Title, this time out to try to stop Tito Santana from being in any shape to take on the champ. He relentlessly worked over the Mexican firebrand’s legs, trying to set him up for the Powerlock (Figure Four). He looked like he might just sink it in when Santana kicked him off, sending him into the corner turnbuckle. Santana then started his comeback, fighting back with dropkicks and clotheslines that staggered the masked man. Olympia decided to go for the cheap way out, , working Santana into the corner and, when the ref wasn’t looking, slipping something into his mask. When he went for a big headbutt on Santana, however, Tito ducked out of the way and instead Olympia went face first into the turnbuckle. Santana then floored Olympia with a clothesline and swiftly put on his own Figure Four in the middle of the ring, forcing Olympia to submit. Santana clearly isn’t going to allow anything to get in his way of getting to the champ.

Bad News Allen & Rip Oliver vs. Buddy Rose & Koko Ware

The Bad News Breakers are clearly at war with Playboy After Dark, and this has kicked into an even higher gear since Buddy Rose brought Koko Ware into the fold. Both sides did battle in a ferocious bout that looked like it might go to Rose when he had Bad News set up for the Inside Out Backbreaker, only for somebody to run into the ring and attack Rose. It was “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert, who had never been seen in the AWA before! As the ref called for the DQ, he joined Allen and Oliver in beating down Rose and Ware until Ed Wiskowski came in swinging a chair to clear the ring. The Bad News Breakers have brought a dangerous new element into the conflict, only time will tell if it doesn’t blow up in their face.

AWA show at the Cow Palace, San Francisco, Oct. 12th

Badd Company & Steven Regal vs. The Cuban Commandos & Gama Singh

Regal got the win with the Iron Fist on Morrow

Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig vs. Buzz Sawyer & Dave Schultz

Gagne won when he countered a piledriver attempt by Schultz with an inside cradle

AWA Southern Title match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Al Perez

Both men went to a 30 minute time limit draw

AWA American Title match : Don Muraco © vs. Ed Wiskowski

Muraco won with a huge running clothesline

Buddy Rose & Koko Ware vs. Bad News Allen & Eddie Gilbert

The Bad News Breakers won when Gilbert caught Ware with the Hot Shot

AWA World Title match : Ken Patera © vs. Tito Santana

Santana won by countout after hitting a clothesline from the top rope to the floor on Patera. Patera retained the World title.

AWA show at the Portland Memorial Coliseum, October 13th

Mike Rotunda vs. Gama Singh

Rotunda won with the Samoan Drop

Curt Hennig vs. Dave Schultz

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Rip Oliver

McDaniel made Oliver submit to the Indian Leglock

AWA World Tag Title match : The Road Warriors © vs. Kamala & Botswana Beast

Both teams went to a double DQ

AWA American Title match : Don Muraco © vs. Ed Wiskowski

Muraco won with the belly to belly piledriver

Buddy Rose & Koko Ware vs. Bad News Allen & Eddie Gilbert

Playboy After Dark won by DQ after Gilbert hit Rose with a huge fireball

Both men went to a 30 minute time limit draw

First from the Oct. 5th show-

-That first match was a classic. You turned an opening match into a Main Event with the wording. "The Young Gentleman" was classic as the Iron Fists was perfect.

-Like the way you set up the angle of the Bad Newsbreakers and Playboy After Dark

From the Met show on Oct 5th- great job of letting the TV show set up the House Show. I would have liked to have seen Patera's response when challenged by Tito

Love the Interview with the Young Lions and Welcome Mr. Steve Regal! Also from that show, you proved that it is not only the famous wrestlers from 83 that work well if you develop the angles..... Here comes the Botswana Beats!

Keep up the great work!

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN and TSN for Oct. 19th

Keichi Yamada vs. Steven Regal

The young Japanese up and comer impressed a lot of fans with his AWA debut match last week. This time out, he was taking on the “Young Gentleman” Steven Regal, who was accompanied by his “Captain” and mentor, Mike Rotunda. The match opened, as is tradition with Regal, with an exchange of handshakes, and moved on to an immaculate matwork. The match then picked up the pace with more high impact moves off the ropes from both men. Regal looked like he was about unleash the Iron Fist but Yamada ducked it and countered with a go behind, followed by a Tiger Suplex for a one two three. Although he had lost the match, Regal graciously bowed to Yamada, as did Rotunda, while Yamada bowed in return.

Badd Company vs. The Cuban Commandos

Badd Company have truly started to blossom under the tutoring of Mike Rotunda. This time out, they would be facing the former Southern Tag champs, the Cuban Commandos. The Commandos tried to take Tanaka and Diamond down a peg by brawling with them, but Badd Co. showed themselves willing to go toe to toe with Acevedo and Morrow, working in their high speed with the exchange of punches and kicks. The Commandos started inching back into the match and were double teaming Diamond when the match went right off the rails. Once again, Lord Humongous appeared at ringside, yanked Tanaka off the ring apron and slammed his head into the turnbuckle before Gorilla Pressing him into some nearby chairs. By the time Diamond realized what had happened to his partner, he was being flattened by a Lord Humongous lariat while Acevedo and Morrow bailed from the ring. Humongous gave him a nasty hockey mask assisted headbutt before locking him in a painful looking Cobra Clutch. He only let him go when Mike Rotunda came storming to the ring . Rotunda stopped to check on the condition of Diamond and Tanaka and while he was distracted, Humongous disappeared as swiftly as he appeared.

Eddie Gilbert vs. Koko Ware

Gilbert has cut a swathe through the AWA in the short time since his arrival, attacking Playboy After Dark and even temporarily putting Buddy Rose on the shelf with a giant fireball. He seems to have aligned with the Bad News Breakers and would face one of their sworn enemies, the always popular Koko Ware. These men were quite evenly matched, with Gilbert’s ring savvy balanced with Koko’s high flying moves and energetic offence. At one point, Koko looked like he might just take out Gilbert with a top rope dropkick, but Gilbert dodged it by diving to the outside. Hot Stuff looked well pleased with himself until he discovered that Koko had only feinted the dropkick and instead hit him on the outside with a flying tackle from the top rope. He then brought back Gilbert into the ring and whipped him into the ropes for a clothesline, but Gilbert ducked and when they came back he caught Koko and dropped him throat first onto the top rope. Gilbert smirked as he put his feet on the ropes for the cover while still pulling Koko’s trunks for the pin.

Bob Roop vs. Master Gee

Speaking of newcomers to the AWA …. While most of the attention has gone to Kamala and Botswana Beast, their so-called “Beastmaster” is a force to be reckoned with in his own right. While his two charges wandered around ringside, knocking over chairs and upending the announcers’ table, Roop dismantled Master Gee with ruthless efficiency, first with some nasty leg and armlocks and submission holds and finally dispatching him with an excruciating Shoulder Breaker that caused everyone in the audience to wince. If this is the Syndicate’s line of defense for Patera’s world title, it looks damned close to impregnable.

The Long Riders vs. Ron Garvin & Wahoo McDaniel

The Long Riders have a well earned reputation as one of the AWA’s biggest and toughest teams, but it seemed like they stepped into a hurricane when they faced the newly assembled tandem of Garvin and McDaniel. These two veteran had been somewhat overlooked of late in singles action, but looked as though they approached this new tag situation as a chance to prove that they were not done by a long shot. After causing bloody welts on Bill Irwin’s chest with mighty chops and battering him with punches, they looked like they were on a personal mission to break Wild Bill’s legs with a series of stretches and leglocks. After pounding Bill into the ground with the Garvin Stomp, Ron tagged in the Chief to put Irwin in an Indian Leglock while Ron blocked Irwin’s brother. Wild Bill screamed out his submission as the crowd cheered but were still somewhat stunned at this display of raw violence from two of their favorites.

AWA World Tag Team Title match : The Road Warriors © vs. Kamala & Botswana Beast

While the two big members of the Sinister Syndicate were backed up by both Sheikh Adnan Kaissie and “Beastmaster” Bob Roop, the Road Warriors had in their corner none other than Da Crusher. While there was a lot of friction between the Roadies and Crusher when they first teamed over a year ago, that seemed to be all water under the bridge as Crusher joined the fans in cheering on the Warriors and menacing Kaissie and Roop whenever it looked they were about to interfere. This traditional matchup of the power of the Road Warriors and the size of the Syndicate wound up ending the traditional way their matches have been, as Kamala and Beast got fed up with the ref trying to keep one of them out of the ring and gave him a double avalanche. With the ref unconscious, Kaissie tried to enter the fray, only to get blasted to the floor by a big Bolo Punch from Crusher. Crusher and Roop proceeded to throw down alongside the Warriors and the other Syndicate members as the show went to the closing credits.

AWA show at the Mecca, Milwaukee, October 19th (as shown on ESPN Super Cards)

Mike Rotunda vs. Sheikh Adnan Kaissie

Rotunda won with the butterfly suplex. After the match, Kaissie was screaming at Rotunda and looked like he would go after him but the ref got in his way, while Rotunda left without giving Kaissie a second look

Steven Regal & Keichi Yamada vs. The Latin Lovers

Yamada won for his time with a Flying Cross Body press to Cruz

Curt Hennig, Wahoo McDaniel & Ron Garvin vs. Dave Schultz, Buzz Sawyer & Mike Shaw

Garvin got the win for his team with the Hands Of Stone Punch on Sawyer

Don Muraco, Bad News Allen & Eddie Gilbert vs Ed Wiskowski, Koko Ware & Greg Gagne

Gagne was a substitute for Buddy Rose, who was still recovering from the fireball he took from Gilbert last week. Muraco got the win with a belly to belly piledriver on Gagne

AWA Southern Title match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Al Perez

Steamboat won with a backslide

Tito Santana & “Crusher” Jerry Blackwell vs. Ken Patera & Mr. Olympia

Santana won with the Mexican Hammer forearm on Olympia

Da Crusher & The Road Warriors vs. Bob Roop , Kamala & Botswana Beast

Deep into the match, Paul Orndorff made his return by sneaking down to ringside and pulling down the top rope while the Road Warriors clotheslined Kamala to the outside. Kamala was not able to make it back into the ring and Da Crusher and the Road Warriors won by countout. After the match, both sides brawled until Orndorff brought a chair into the ring and cleared off the Syndicate

AWA show at the International Amphitheater, Chicago, November 20th

Bob Sweetan & Rip Oliver vs. Mike Rotunda & Steve Jones

Rotunda won for his team when he hit the Samoan Drop on Oliver

Curt Hennig vs. Gama Singh

AWA Southern Tag Titles match : Al Perez & Ricky Santana © vs. Koko Ware & Master Gee

Perez won by catching Master Gee with the German Suplex

Bad News Allen vs. Greg Gagne

Bad News won with the Bad News Blaster

AWA American Title match : Don Muraco ©vs. Ed Wiskowski

Muraco won after Eddie Gilbert tripped Wiskowski and Muraco hit a running clothesline

AWA World Tag Titles match : The Road Warriors © vs. Buzz Sawyer & Dave Schultz

The Road Warriors won when Animal power slammed Sawyer

Tito Santana won by DQ when Sheikh Adnan Kaissie interfered in the match. Patera retained the title

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN and TSN for Oct. 26th

Steven Regal vs. Keiichi Yamada

These two young rookies had an exciting match last week on All-Star Wrestling, and by all accounts the “Young Gentleman” Steve Regal had lobbied hard to get a second crack at beating the Japanese superstar Keiichi Yamada. His mentor, the “Captain” Mike Rotunda , was at ringside and both seemed quite eager for the match to start. After initial handshakes and a very brief feeling out period, the two swiftly moved on to very fast paced moves, to the excitement of the fans. Yamada had dropkicked Regal out of the ring and looked to be going to execute a big dive onto him when he discovered that Lord Humongous had snuck into the ring, seemingly out of nowhere. Humongous clotheslined Yamada and threw him out of the ring, then turned to face Regal. Regal was clearly eager to try to take on the huge masked man, but Rotunda held him back and told him not to go in. Lord Humongous pointed at both Regal and Rotunda, then left the ring, as mysteriously as he had appeared.

Ron Garvin & Wahoo McDaniel vs. The Cuban Commandos

The Cuban Commandos are two tough customers, no doubt about it, having gone toe to toe with the Road Warriors. But they had more than their hands full with the pairing of Garvin and McDaniel. Like last week, the two veterans tore into their opponents, with Garvin taking the lead by pounding on Morrow for much of the match, letting Wahoo in to get his licks in before coming back in to inflict further abuse. He had Morrow trapped in the corner and was raining down huge fists when the ref declared Morrow unable to defend himself and called the match in favor of Garvin and McDaniel. Nobody know what the ultimate goal of Garvin and McDaniel is, but they clearly mean business.

Al Perez vs. Phil LaFon

The last time these two had faced each other, it was for the AWA Southern Tag Titles, currently held by Perez and Ricky Santana. Of late, Perez has been focused on challenging for Ricky Steamboat’s Southern Title, but Lafon was very determined to not be looked past. For the most part, Perez seemed very determined to stay within the rules, leading to a close technical match up that went back and forth. Eventually, Perez whipped LaFon hard into the corner, but LaFon caught himself before the impact and then swiftly ascended the top rope. LaFon went for a flying back cross body press, but Perez rolled over and then grabbed a fistful of tights for leverage to get the win. It’s a shame that, for all of Perez’ technical skills, he keeps resorting to cheating to pull out his victories.

Rick Martel & Curt Hennig vs. Buzz Sawyer & Dave Schultz

Once again, Hennig was bringing in the Canadian Champ for his war with the wild men of Col. Buck Robley’s Army. They were determined to give a better accounting of themselves this time out, taking the initiative by double dropkicking Schultz out of the ring at the start and focusing on Sawyer. The wild Mad Dog would brawl back but Martel and Hennig did their utmost to keep him in their end of the ring. Martel tried to hit a clothesline on Sawyer, but Sawyer ducked it and came back with his own big clothesline that sent Martel falling out of the ring. Then, out of nowhere, Mike Shaw rushed to ringside and gave a huge crushing splash on Martel on the outside. Martel was not able to make it back to his feet in time and once again, Martel lost by countout. This does not bode well for his Canadian title match with Shaw.

Bob Roop vs. Koko Ware

“The Beastmaster” was once again accompanied by Sheikh Kaissie, Kamala and Botswana Beast, and looked to try to mangle Koko Ware like he did last week to Master Gee. Koko was not fazed and kept Bob Roop on his toes with dropkicks and ducking and dodging. He eventually tried to take Roop off his feet with a running cross body, only for Roop to catch him and reverse it into a power slam. Roop them proceeded to slam and stretch Koko all over the ring before Sheikh Kaissie threw a chair into the ring and Roop started to set Koko up for a piledriver on the chair. The ref tried to intervene, only to get knocked to the mat by Roop. Roop then started to try to piledrive Koko, and this time it was Paul Orndorff who rushed into the ring to save Koko. As Orndorff and Roop slugged it out, Kamala and Beast tried to climb into the ring, only to be cut off by the Road Warriors. After a couple of minutes of chaotic brawling, the AWA officials came out to send both factions back to their respective locker rooms.

Buddy Rose vs. Eddie Gilbert

Rose was making his first appearance since being hit by a fireball thrown by Eddie Gilbert two weeks ago, and was sporting a large bandage on his chest where the fireball hit. This provided an easy target for Gilbert, who attacked the bandage with chops and tore at it every chance he got. This served only to rile up Buddy Rose, who kept coming back after Gilbert like a man possessed. Eventually, the action spilled out over to the outside ring area, where the two just kept brawling until the ref counted them both out and were still doing so when the closing credits were rolling.

AWA show at the Winnipeg Arena, Winnipeg, Oct. 26th (As shown on ESPN/TSN Super Cards)

Keiichi Yamada vs. Phil LaFon

Yamada won with a flying cross body press

The Long Riders vs. Ron Garvin & Wahoo McDaniel

Garvin won when he hit the Hands Of Stone punch on Scott Irwin

Buddy Rose & Ed Wiskowski vs. Don Muraco & Eddie Gilbert

Both teams went to a double DQ for brawling

AWA Southern Tag Title match : Al Perez & Ricky Santana © vs. Koko Ware & Master Gee

Perez won with a German Suplex on Master Gee

Bob Roop vs. Paul Orndorff

Roop went for a pile driver, only for Orndorff to reverse it with a slingshot into the turnbuckle. Orndorff then hit his own piledriver for the pin

AWA World Tag Titles match : The Road Warriors © vs. Botswana Beast & Kamala

The Road Warriors won with a double flying shoulder tackle on Beast

AWA Canadian Title match : Rick Martel © vs. Mike Shaw

Martel came to the ring sporting taped ribs from the earlier attack by Shaw. Martel tried to finish off Shaw with a top rope flying cross body press, only for Shaw to catch him and counter with a massive power slam to get the one two three. The crowd was in shock as Shaw was awarded the Canadian Title.

Santana had Patera set up for the Mexican Hammer flying forearm when he was tripped by Sheikh Adnan Kaissie. Santana won by DQ, but Patera retained the World title. After the match, Santana got on the ringside mic and challenged Patera to put the title on the line in a cage at the next Winnipeg show.

AWA show at the Saddledome, Calgary, Oct. 27th

The Playboy Club, Ronnie Garvin & Wahoo McDaniel vs. The Bad News Breakers

After a crazy match, McDaniel got the win with the overhand tomahawk chop on Sweetan

Keiichi Yamada vs. Steven Regal

Yamada won with a brainbuster

AWA Southern Tag Titles match : Al Perez & Ricky Santana © vs. The Cuban Commandos

Perez got the win with a rollup assisted by a fistful of tights on Acevedo

Da Crusher vs. The Great Gama Singh

Crusher won with a running Bolo Punch

Jerry Blackwell vs. Mr. Olympia

Blackwell won when Olympia caught him in a sleeper, but Blackwell kept driving him back first into the corner until Olympia let go and dropped to the mat, followed by a big splash

AWA Canadian Title match : Mike Shaw © vs. Greg Gagne

Shaw defended his newly won title by beating Gagne with a power slam

AWA Southern Title match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Buzz Sawyer

Steamboat got the victory with a belly to back suplex

You have a lot of great things going on in the AWA!

I want to see how the young gentlemen, Steve Regal gets out of this one if he does actually have to deal with Lord Humongous.

Love the cooperation between Lutte and the AWA and a team of Henig and Martel would be one of the best in the world.

Playboy Buddy Rose and Gilbert is a match of two of the most underrated wrestles of the time. They were both so good and what they did and this would be awesome to see.

A great job setting up the Roop/ Orndorff match.

The Beat and Kamala would be a great team to job to the Road Warriors as they look so great crushing everyone else and then the Road Warriors beat them. Makes the RW look to be even better then they are and they are great. Similar thing here with Buzz Sawyer. He is wild and unpredictable and looks awesome and then Steamboat beats him.

The Santana/Patera thing is fun as I have no idea how it will play out.

Great Job as always.