Pro Wrestling Only

Jay Youngblood vs. The Destroyer (Apache Strap Match) (3/7/81)

goodhelmet

• 1 month later...

At least this strap match was more competitive than the other one, though not by much. Destroyer actually got a nearfall or two, which is progress for the Army, but in the end he was no more of a match for Jay than Oliver was.

My issues with Sandy Barr just keep increasing. Hey, Sandy, did you not hear Savage say that anything goes in an Apache strap match? The last time I checked, that means ​anything​, including ripping your opponent's mask. As if giving a warning wasn't enough, Sandy tried to physically restrain Jay to the point of damn near tackling him, which probably should have led to Destroyer taking control of the match. It didn't, but that doesn't mean that Sandy wasn't ridiculous. If he's going to get physically involved like this, he should put the tights back on and leave the refereeing to those who'll stay the hell out of the wrestlers' way.

Buddy turns tail and runs again when the idea of getting into a strap match with Jay is broached. This time Jay makes the challenge, and Buddy practically breaks the world record scampering back to the locker room. Talk about an effective way to stop him from interfering! I can't wait to see his matches with Jay later in the disc.

Destroyer does ​sound pretty gutsy challenging Jay to a title match just moments after getting his ass kicked, but I can't help feeling that the title match should have led to this match, not the other way around. Matches like strap matches and steel cage matches should, in my opinion at least, take place because regular wrestling matches aren't able to settle a feud. I'm not sure I'd buy a ticket to see Jay fight Destroyer again after watching him cut the guy to ribbons and make him bleed through his mask; I'd save my money for his (Jay's) matches with Buddy.

Yet another match that wasn't supposed to be on TV. At least this time they had Jay request that the match be televised instead of Tom Peterson, which is a bit of an improvement. To be fair, it was also probably going to be too short of a match to make the public pay for at just about twelve minutes from bell to bell.

I know Frank was trying to put Jay over, but I'm sure he's been around long enough to see a masked wrestler bleed by this point. If nothing else, he's probably seen pictures in a magazine; some of them loved to have their covers as bloody as possible in order to make them stand out on the shelves and sell more copies.

• 6 months later...