Pro Wrestling Only

Buddy Rose vs. Dynamite Kid (2/3 falls) (9/17/83)

goodhelmet

• 2 months later...

First fall: ​I've been curious about this one since I got the set, because outside of a few captain's matches when he was one of the Bulldogs and the Wrestling Classic, I've never seen Dynamite as a singles wrestler. He certainly does well for himself here, dominating Buddy for the majority of the fall and hitting his trademark diving headbutt off the top to take the fall and a 1-0 lead with about eleven minutes of disc time remaining.

I'm guessing that the result of this match somehow sets up the next singles match on the disc between these two, which is supposed to take place the following week, I'll definitely be interested in how we get there from here.

Dynamite hits his other signature move, the snap suplex, in this fall as well, but it's not nearly as fast as it would be at times in the WWF. Whether that was because he isn't as comfortable using it as he would later become or because Buddy weighs much more than the average WWF victim, I'm not sure. I think the only two name wrestlers who ever took the move in the WWF were Greg Valentine and Bret Hart; everyone else was just too big.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Dutch and the ring moving after almost every whip into the turnbuckle, but it's becoming overkill. Gorilla Monsoon talked about that too, but only occasionally. If the ring Don's using really does ​move that much, maybe it's time to invest in a new ring.

Even though Buddy as a face is a nice change of pace, I can already tell something's missing. He's trying to act like he's been a face all his life: no more flowing robes, a shy wave at the crowd when he's introduced, and I'll bet his talk is more subdued for the most part as well. We talk a lot about what Vince did wrong as the WWF took over the industry, but one thing he did right was let heels who turned face keep their personas intact. Piper still rambled on interviews and poked his opponents in the eye; Jake still put Damien all over the poor jobbers he destroyed and talked like a frontman for the devil; Hercules still swung his chain, and so forth. They didn't have to act like solid citizens, because everyone with two eyes and a memory knew that they weren't. They were just beating up on guys the fans hated worse than them, that's all. And that was enough.

​Second fall: Dynamite continues his dominance over Buddy for the first part of the fall, but refuses to pin him several times when he looked to have the match won. This costs him eventually after he backdrops Buddy over the top rope, then uses the ringpost to set him up for a headbutt. The Playboy moves, and Dynamite's head hits the post, opening a bad cut that leaves the left half of his ace covered in blood. From there, it's all Buddy, and after paying Dynamite back a few times by picking him up on pin attempts, hits a supeplex to tie the match at a fall apiece with about two and a half minutes left.

The camerawork on this fall is atrocious. We completely missed Dynamite raising his knees to counter a Buddy splash, and the entire fight outside the ring looked like it was shot from the roof. These are supposedly experienced cameramen who know how to shoot wrestling, so sloppiness like this is tough to forgive. Okay, maybe someone was just having a bad day, but that's not much consolation to the TV audience.

I loved Dutch mentioning Buddy's seeming lack of energy and reminding the audience that it happens to all athletes on occasion. It must have inspired Buddy psychically, because right after that the match turned in his favor. Seriously, though, it's always nice to hear guys like Dutch treat wrestling like a real sport after so many years of hearing Vince treating it like a B-grade action adventure flick or a poorly written soap opera. Along the same vein, Dutch also talks about how important speed is to a wrestler, noting that he still knows lots of ways to hurt someone, but isn't fast enough to catch them and apply holds anymore. You seldom hear talk like that during matches in the bigger promotions, where any time spent not calling holds is mostly dedicated to shilling for the next big card.

Nice to see Buddy use the ringpost for several maneuvers, including bashing the back of Dynamite's head into it to set him up for the superplex. The man knows how to use every inch of the arena to his advantage, that's for sure.

​Third fall: ​We get a few close nearfalls, including one off of a back superplex by Dynamite, but the bout ends in a 1-1 draw when the time limit expires. This sets up a rematch for the following week, which is the next match on Disc 7.

Dynamite is the current Northwest champion, but it's never clearly established whether this was supposed to be a title match or not. I hope someone makes it clear whether the rematch is for the belt.

This is the first time-limit draw I've seen in a two-out-of-three match on the set. Keep in mind that I'm not watching the discs in chronological order.

• 1 month later...

This was a really good match; starts of with some really pretty 80s not-quite junior wrestling, and gets all bloody and grizzly. Rose adds a ton to the match, as his selling of his wounded back kept things very compelling and he always adds clever layout and smart spots to a match. to a match.The story where they kept breaking up pinfalls was cool and well done. At one point, Rose gave DK a low blow, and Kid sold it well, clutching his groin after hitting a legdrop, so it was believable that he was pissed off and wouldn't pin Rose and instead just keep stomping on him. The blood was tremendous, loved Buddy throwing punch and the finish to the 2nd fall was fucking great with Buddy bashing the back of DK's head into the steel before giving him the superplex as a fuck you. Damn that finish. They work a big nearfall or two for the finish going off the rails. with Rose getting spiked by a back suplex, DK even busting out a foreign object in the last 20 seconds, and I didn't mind the time limit draw as DK was a bloody mess and Rose was beaten up badly and they were just two beaten up men flopping around at that point. Pretty wrestling, intricate story, violence and pissed-offness and drama, this was fairly great overall.