Pro Wrestling Only

[2006-04-07-WWE-Smackdown] Rey Mysterio vs Randy Orton

Superstar Sleeze

World Heavyweight Champion Rey Mysterio vs Randy Orton - Smackdown 4/7/06

These two have crazy awesome chemistry with one another. This is the first Smackdown after Mania XXII where Mysterio won the championship over Angle & Orton. I think Orton & Mysterio could have main evented on their own. I thought this was in the same ballpark as their great No Way Out match but with the feel good finish here putting this one slightly ahead.

They really establish Orton's size advantage early on. Orton was so good execution at this point in his career. You can see why a Bret Hart would look on him so favorably. Should tackle bowls over Mysterio. Love Orton dropping to a knee to hit a massive European Uppercut it really magnified size difference, Great throwdown on a wheelbarrow Bulldog attempt. First Rey hope spot is a Rana, Orton powders on 619, but eats a seated senton on the floor. In the ring, Orton gets a hold of Rey Rey and hits that backbreaker he did early in his career. Great use and application of the chinlock.

Best spots of the match were Orton's pinpoint accuracy of his anti-air dropkicks to Mysterio when Rey Rey tried to fly (once springboard and once off the top). Rey really dove into them and Orton was perfect in execution.

My one complaint was it did get a bit extended squash-y. Rey could have used a shine early or more hope spots that worked. It felt like too many cutoffs and too much Orton offense without Orton really progressing. Minor quibble.

Finishing stretch was good with Rey Rey making his comeback throwing some nice strikes. Wish he sold the eyepoke better, but really the comeback is supposed to be hot so Orton probably should have used it early. Liked Orton's mistake (charging into the post) to set up the 619 and then Orton having the presence of mind to feed for another 619 when Rey was ready to finish. That second 619 got a big pop. Some veteran instincts from Orton there! Drop a dime and the win.

Really awesome, babyface/heel TV match that no one talk about. Big, clean win for Mysterio. Orton was great in his offense and beatdown. Orton could have been a bit more scummy and Mysterio could have gotten a bit more shine. Just some minor stuff. These two had great chemistry and their matches are not talked about enough. ****

• 8 months later...

Probably the best that I've ever seen Orton on offense. Crisp, clean, impactful. Really enjoyed this especially all those ridiculous face bumps that Rey was doing. Geez, bro. I do think it stays a little slow a little too long and Rey's comeback while fun isn't the explosive Rey aerial stuff that it could have been. But that being said, there was a lot of good here. I thought this was the most charismatic and focused Orton on offense might ever have been and Rey's babyface shtick is pretty much timeless.

***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2006-04-07-WWE-Smackdown] Rey Mysterio vs Randy Orton