Pro Wrestling Only

Reviving this folder

Loss

Looking at everything listed here, I thought we may want to put some thoughts into recategorizing the way we have this list. Here is how we'll do it. I'm all for further breaking down categories and then overlapping them by doing yet another set of countdowns. I'll explain what I mean.

Category #1 - WCW and NWA

This would be the category for all matches from 1985-2001, from the time Crockett started on TBS until the final Monday Nitro. May 1985-March 2001

Category #2 - WWF Pre-1990

All 60s, 70s & 80s WW(W)F would go in this category. 1963-1989

Category #3 - WWF Post-1990

All January 1990-Present WWF/E footage goes here.

Category #4 - ECW

All ECW matches would go in this category.

Category #5 - US & Canada Territories Pre-1995

Every American or Canadian wrestling territory's footage prior to 1995 would go in this category, excluding WCW, WWF and ECW. I'm extending this to 1995 because I think SMW matches make better comparison to classic territory footage than modern-day US indies, and 1995 is when SMW died.

Category #6 - US Indies 1996-present

Self explanatory.

Everyone who received a set of DVDs from all of the above categories would then be eligible to participate in the following four categories as well.

Category #7 - US & Canada Best Pre-1990

Category #8 - US & Canada Best 1990s

Category #9 - US Best 2000-Present

Category #10 - Best WW/W/F/E Matches Of All Time

Category #11 - AJPW Pre-1980

Self explanatory.

Category #12 - AJPW 1980-1989

Category #13 - AJPW 1990-Present

Anyone who participate in categories #11-#13 would be eligible to vote in the following.

Category #14 - Best AJPW Matches Of All Time

Repeat the process with New Japan.

Category #15 - NJPW Pre-1980

Category #16 - NJPW 1980-1989

Category #17 - NJPW 1990-Present

Category #18 - Best NJPW Matches Of All Time

Category #19 - Joshi Pre-1990

Category #20 - Joshi 1990-Present

Category #21 - Best Joshi Matches Of All Time

Category #22 - Other Japan Pre-1990

Category #23 - Other Japan 1990-Present

Everyone who voted in all of the Japanese categories thus far would be eligible to vote in the following:

Category #24 - Japan Pre-1980

Category #25 - Japan 1980-1989

Category #26 - Japan 1990-Present

Category #27 - Best Lucha Matches Of All Time

Category #28 - Best MMA Matches Of All Time*

Category #29 - Best European Matches Of All Time**

* - would not be compared to worked wrestling

** - would also include odd spot shows in places like Australia if such matches were nominated

Everyone who participated in every category up until this point would then be eligible to participate in the following:

Category #30 - Best Matches Anywhere Pre-1980

Category #31 - Best Matches Anywhere 1980-1989

Category #32 - Best Matches Anywhere 1990-Present

And finally ...

Category #33 - Best Matches Ever

We'll base the top "x" number of matches on how many nominees are in each category. There will always be more nominated matches than listed matches, so if you receive a set of 100 matches, you may only be asked for your Top 50. That will be decided as we go along. Obviously a long, multi-year project, but I really think that's the only way to do this the justice it deserves. We don't have to do these in the order specified here, although it would admittedly make things easier if we did. Does anyone have a problem starting out with all WCW/NWA?

ECW got its own category because it really doesn't mesh well with any of the other categories. It's nothing like SMW, WCW or WWE, really at all. I know you can compare any match to any match, but I'd like for these categories to have something uniting them. The only way I could see ECW being combined with anything else is to maybe create a category for ECW/FMW/IWA/W*ING that's all to itself. I'm not opposed to that at all, actually.

Consider this both, also, to answer your question. I'd like to get a move on this or this will never get it done. Top priority right now is finding as much WCW/NWA footage as possible. I'm going to go ahead and start a new thread for just WCW/NWA recommendations. I have about 50 discs of WCW TV from 1992-1994 on its way that I'll go through and pick out the best stuff, and I want to try to divide the rest of it into teams that can focus on specific parts of it. I'll explain in the other thread.

OK, here is my concern, and I encountered it in the MOTYC discs I have been making. Are we really concerned about the best matches or is this just an excuse to acquire more footage? I tried to be as inclusive as possible and my little 2-3 disc project ballooned to 6 discs and it is still growing. Hell, I don't even think anyone is that interested in it except me and Famous Mortimer anyways. If we do that here, we will be distributing 40 discs per category.

Looking through the previous lists, it seems like people were just naming off perceived 4-star matches, not actual BEST MATCH EVER candidates. That is why I have a hard time accepting ECW having its own category. They don't really have any Best Match candidates. If we want this to be manageable, we should be a little more exclusive on the matches that would be accepted. If people want to throw out matches then they should be willing to defend their choice with a reasoned and well-written post. If not, it's just listing matches for the sake of listing matches.

I'm really interested in being involved, but I think there should be a cap on the number of discs being made per catergory. That would prevent burnout for both the people putting the sets together and the people watching/voting. It will be interesting to see how the voting goes for the DVDVR, that might answer some questions.

The problem is, there's only a few categories I'd be interested in.

It's like with Good Helmet's MOTY discs, I'd be interested but I've seen 80% of the stuff anyway, and what I want I have acquired, and what I don't want I don't want to acquire.

Similarly, in the recent WWE, WWF and WCW topics, as well as 90's AJPW, I've seen what I want to see, and have no reason to want to see more.

The Lucha, Joshi and Indy 96-PD are the only ones I have any interest in. Wouldn't it be easier to do one project first, and then if it works go on to the next one, and so on?

OK, here is my concern, and I encountered it in the MOTYC discs I have been making. Are we really concerned about the best matches or is this just an excuse to acquire more footage? I tried to be as inclusive as possible and my little 2-3 disc project ballooned to 6 discs and it is still growing. Hell, I don't even think anyone is that interested in it except me and Famous Mortimer anyways. If we do that here, we will be distributing 40 discs per category.

Looking through the previous lists, it seems like people were just naming off perceived 4-star matches, not actual BEST MATCH EVER candidates. That is why I have a hard time accepting ECW having its own category. They don't really have any Best Match candidates. If we want this to be manageable, we should be a little more exclusive on the matches that would be accepted. If people want to throw out matches then they should be willing to defend their choice with a reasoned and well-written post. If not, it's just listing matches for the sake of listing matches.

My problem with this is that just because someone is a good writer doesn't mean a match is great, and just because someone can't explain why they like a match doesn't mean the match should not be included. The approach you're suggesting plays more into the personalities at the board instead of the actual Best Match Talk. I'm willing to revisit ECW. I haven't seen every match they've ever had that's ever taken place, so I don't feel like I can say they don't have any Best Match Ever candidates. I can say that of the stuff that's highly pimped, I'm not too high on most of it, but that's totally different than saying ECW never had any great matches. You know as well as I do how often good matches get swept under the rug, which is sort of the purpose of this project.

I'm really interested in being involved, but I think there should be a cap on the number of discs being made per catergory. That would prevent burnout for both the people putting the sets together and the people watching/voting. It will be interesting to see how the voting goes for the DVDVR, that might answer some questions.

I think the solution to this is not require every single match on the set to be ranked in order and instead only ask for the top 20 or 30 or whatever number is determined in advance.

The problem is, there's only a few categories I'd be interested in.

It's like with Good Helmet's MOTY discs, I'd be interested but I've seen 80% of the stuff anyway, and what I want I have acquired, and what I don't want I don't want to acquire.

Similarly, in the recent WWE, WWF and WCW topics, as well as 90's AJPW, I've seen what I want to see, and have no reason to want to see more.

The Lucha, Joshi and Indy 96-PD are the only ones I have any interest in. Wouldn't it be easier to do one project first, and then if it works go on to the next one, and so on?

I must say I'm puzzled why someone who has no desire to see more wrestling trades so much, but that's your prerogative. Anyway, the responses this is getting tells me that this isn't worth it and that this entire folder needs to be deleted. Too many people coming up with every reason why it can't be done isn't a good sign.

Project is off.