Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-29-ECW-Orlando, FL] Sabu vs C.W. Anderson

soup23

Sign Guy does his Paul Heyman tribute act and here comes Sabu to save the day. This again started fairly basic for a Sabu match which gives me hope that one day we will see a version of that. I get that the stereotypical ECW fan on this Southern route wants to see tables and violence but it gets grating watching it every night especially when there is little to no variety in the match if it involves Sabu and RVD no matter who the opponent is. CW does at least get a good bit of offense in here on Sabu including a spinebuster through the table. Sabu comes back and tries to put Lou through a table. CW saves him but gets caught up in the table in the process. Arabian facebuster legdrop and that is the win for Sabu. I have heard that Sabu matches can never be boring, but this one bored me quite a lot. *3/4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lou E. Dangerously addresses the crowd and looks to get some cheap heat. He says that the Dangerously family have made an executive decision. Due to the fact that they are probably drunk, high and looking to get laid after the show, he can no longer subject his wrestlers to this behaviour and all future shows at Zuma Beach have been cancelled. Yawn!

Collar and elbow tie up, Sabu with the go behind, CW grabs the ropes and Sabu drills him with a right. Springboard tornado DDT that CW takes beautifully, and he’s able to get his foot over the ropes when Sabu makes the cover. Sabu sets a table up on the outside however as he goes to get back in the ring he’s met with a shoulder tackle that sends him flying to the floor. CW lies Sabu up on the table and heads to the top turnbuckle (like he’s coming off that!) but he appears to slip, and Sabu with a top rope Frankensteiner which he follows with a dive over the top rope to the floor on Lou E. and Bill Whiles. A table has made its way into the ring somehow, and Lou distracts Sabu enabling CW to catch him with a superkick. He lies him on the table and again goes to the top, but Sabu is back to his feet and shakes the ropes so he loses his balance. He goes for a second Frankensteiner, however this time CW pushes him off and he crotches himself on the top rope. Awesome spinebuster through the table for a near fall. Sabu levels Lou, cracks Bill and CW in the head with chairs and sets up a third table. He drags Lou onto it and comes off the top with a leg drop, but CW pushes his manager off and he is the one who gets put through the table. One Arabian facebuster later and that’s all she wrote.

Bad match. It was as if they just wanted to bust out a bunch of Sabu spots and had no idea what to do (bar punch) in between. There was absolutely no meat to this at all. I liked CW’s spinebuster through the table, but the ‘new’ Dangerous Alliance screams bottom of the card gimmick and CW didn’t have a hope of winning this.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-29-ECW-Orlando, FL] Sabu vs C.W. Anderson