Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-01-21-RevPro-High Stakes] Marty Scurll vs Zack Sabre Jr

ShittyLittleBoots

On paper these 2 going over 40 minutes sounds VERY unappealing, but I wanted to give it a chance, and goddamn, I gotta say that I was very positively surprised by how good this match was! Marty dominated ZSJ for the most of it, and he actually looked good doing it. I enjoyed his work on top, and for once, he didn't overdo the whole Villain shtick. Zack was really good too, working from underneath, sneaking those submissions & wacky pin attempts in - I think if he had showed more fire, like he has done in his matches vs. Hero for an example, this would've been even better. Really good match. ***3/4

I thought this was good too. Maybe a little too long, but still good. I liked when ZSJ was wanting to trade chops to the chest, but Marty just poked him in the eyes instead. That's exactly what he should have done, and I loved it. The three piledrivers might have been a little much, but the closing moments of this match were just so damn entertaining. I wouldn't hold it against them. They had the crowd in the palm of their hands the final five to ten minutes.

• 1 month later...

Sabre is having a hell of a year so I decided to give this a spin. But I found it pretty tedious. I understood the story, with Scurll trying to show he could outwrestle Sabre hold for hold and going gradually dirtier when he couldn't put the match away. I just didn't find his work on top interesting at all. I also prefer Sabre in shorter, more aggressive matches, especially ones in which he's working as an underdog. They produced a few good sequences toward the end, but I came away thinking Scurll in a long match is a non-starter for me.

• GSR changed the title to [2017-01-21-RevPro-High Stakes] Marty Scurll vs Zack Sabre Jr