Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-18-ECW-TNN] Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka

soup23

These fucking guys again? It kind of felt like a little crowd sweetning was going on but I am not positive. As a match overall, this was not their best effort. I liked the beginning as a more wild, intense brawl with strikes but then Tanaka completely no sells a chair shot and here goes Awesome setting up the furniture because he of course has to. Tanaka hits a DDT from the apron through the table and the crowd gives a big holy shit chant. Awesome does hit a really great looking big splash which honestly had more impact and looked more dangerous to me than the table spots because I am so immune to them. When Tanaka kicks out, he grabs a table of course. Back and forth on the top and Awesome hits a powerbomb through the table to win. Yawn. **1/2

This at least had something a little different with Tanaka absorbing a lot and showing his FIGHTING SPIRIT but there's very little I hate more in wrestling than guys popping up after taking suplexes. Still, even if it's something I hate, I'll take just about anything different in these matches at this point. A Tornado DDT through a table. Again, something different, but wow are they hitting on every cliche in wrestling that I can't stand. This has the distinct honor of being the first match of this project where I've stopped the match to search our spreadsheet to see if it's the last match in the series (We get one-offs in MLW and at One Night Stand in a few years, but otherwise, yes!). Good riddance. I'm being tougher on this match than it really deserves. They do some things to vary this up from other matches in the series and this is probably honestly better than a lot of their previous matches. It's just that by this point, this series is so beyond overdone that it has a lot working against it, fair or not.

• 3 months later...

It’s fair to say that when you’ve seen one Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka match you’ve seen them all! I can understand wrestler’s doing the same match on house shows, going from city to city where you have a new audience each night, but when you’ve wrestled on TNN about three weeks ago and then do the same match again… The finish this time was a sit out powerbomb off the top through the table as opposed to the ‘Awesome Bomb’ (which to be fair looked great), and they added in a spot with Tanaka dropkicking a chair into Awesome’s face prior to the tornado DDT onto the chair, but that was it. I feel a bit tight considering that these two do work hard and take unnecessary levels of punishment for our entertainment, but I’m past caring when it comes to this match now.

This was the main event to the first ECW on TNN I ever saw. In terms of their series in ECW, this is well beneath November to Remember and the December '99 matches. By this point, they had a formula down for these matches to where I'm convinced they could have done this in their sleep. The finish is great, the rest of the match is standard for what they were doing at the time. Not nearly their best match but far from their worst. ***

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-18-ECW-TNN] Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka