Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-26-WCW-Saturday Night] PG-13 vs The Mamalukes (Big Vito & Johnny the Bull)

soup23

PG-13 going for the tag straps here. This gets a good amount of time and has the neat dynamic of PG-13 being the faces. JC gets worked over and while the Mamalukes aren’t exceptional, I do think they provide enough heel offense to be effective. Match escalates when Wolfie gets the hot tag. Jc grabs a hub cap and nails Johnny the Bull for a real close nearfall with Disco saving things. Tope from JC and they are going for it. Disco knocks Wolfie off the top rope and the Mamalukes are able to retain after Vito hits his swinging DDT. Really good tv match for the 7 minutes it got. ***

Disco Inferno drinking Surge on the way to the ring! What a sham that was. I used to try drinking Surge to stay awake to study Freshman year of college and it never worked for shit. Other stuff around this time that was supposed to provide similar effects was Jolt and Water Joe, which was -- get this -- caffeinated water. I think this is the end of PG-13's run in WCW, but I have enjoyed it. They have alternated from babyface to heel week-to-week as needed and had pretty good stuff on the C shows. This was a solid tag match against Vito and Johnny The Bull, both of whom I always liked and thought had potential to go farther. JC works as FIP and does a good job of it and they really do craft a compelling match with no real push or anything, even if the crowd doesn't bite.

• 4 weeks later...

Wolfie and Johnny start things off with Johnny wrestling in his hat. Wolfie tags in J.C. Ice and The Mamalukes get heat on him for the next five minutes. At one point Johnny starts doing overhead military presses with Jamie and I like their Bensonhurst Bomb (double hip toss and they then catch their opponent and drive him into the canvas), but The Mamalukes are both pretty bland characters. Southern style hot tag to Wolfie with J.C. crawling around the ring and through his opponents legs to make it. Big backdrop to Johnny, and an atomic drop with an assist from Jamie sends Vito out of the ring. Facebuster off the top on Johnny and Vito is back in just in time to break up the pin. All four participants are in the ring and with the referee seeing to Wolfie and Vito, J.C. waffles Johnny with a hub cap. He makes the cover but Disco Inferno drags Vito out of there to save the titles and J.C. follows with a flip dive over the top rope onto Johnny. Meanwhile in the ring Wolfie has climbed to the top turnbuckle, but with the referee otherwise engaged, Disco pushes him off and Vito hits the jumping DDT for the win.

The final few minutes off this, from where J.C. tags in Wolfie, are great, but it was pretty boring up until there. I don’t think PG-13 ever picked up a win in WCW, but they’ve been entertaining in every match they’ve had. If this is the end of their run they’ll certainly be missed by me.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-26-WCW-Saturday Night] PG-13 vs The Mamalukes (Big Vito & Johnny the Bull)