Pro Wrestling Only

10 Worst I.C. Champions

Mad Dog

Here's another list for you. This time we take a look at the WWF's I.C. Title. As you'll quickly notice most of the sucky reigns were from about a 2 year period of time.

10.  The Mountie 1-17-92 to 1-19-92:

The Mountie wasn't a bad wrestler but he wasn't on this level.  Only holding it for 2 days further cements the fact that he wasn't on this level.

9.  Kerry Von Erich 8-27-90 to 11-19-90:

Kerry Von Erich was a big name in wrestling in the early 80s.  Former NWA World Champion when that belt still meant something.  Unfortunately at this point Von Erich was starting to self destruct and the WWF actually got so concerned about him committing suicide that they took the title off of him.  Von Erich was also extremely useless in the ring by this point in his life.

8.  Ric Flair 9-18-05 to current:

What happens when your 55 year old champion gets arrested for road rage and never defends it?  That's right! The 8 spot on this list.

7.  Jeff Hardy 4-10-01 to 4-16-01:

This could've elevated Jeff Hardy to the next level in the WWF.  It turned into a complete bury job by HHH and marked the last time Hardy was useful in a ring.

6.  The Godfather 4-12-99 to 5-25-99:

A lower card comedy gimmick actually got a run with the belt.  I would argue that his reign actually did the most damage to the credibility to the title before No. 1 and 2 on the list finished the belt off for good.

5.  Rocky Maivia 2-13-97 to 4-28-97:

Easily top 10 for worst babyface runs ever in a company.  The matches sucked and everyone hated the smiling and baby kissing Rock.

4.  Chris Jericho and Chyna 1-03-00 to 1-23-00:

I don't remember exactly how we got the whole co-champion thing.  Dumb idea dragged to the pits of hell by the fact that Chyna was part of it.

3.  Billy Gunn 11-21-00 to 12-10-00:

Gunn's probably failed as a singles wrestler a good dozen times during his career.  He just doesn't have the moveset or the charisma to go it alone.  He needs a Bart Gunn or a Road Dogg to drag him to something worthwhile.  This was the only time the WWF had the balls to actually put a belt on him.

2.  Chyna 8-27-00 to 9-04-00:

Chyna will go down as probably one of the worst wrestlers ever.  She had no upside in the ring whatsoever and was using the lowblow as her finisher at one point in her career.  Just awful.  The WWF for some reason thought she should be winning men's titles instead of the women's.  She does hold a rare honor though...

1.  Chyna 10-17-99 to 12-12-99:

That's right Chyna gets 3 out of 4 for the worst I.C. Champions as every one of her runs with the belts were absolute disgraces that murdered the belt's credibility.  The WWF should be ashamed of themselves for giving her the belt 3 times.  The low point of this reign was her beating Chris Jericho followed up by one of my favorite segments ever that saw Chris breaking her hand with a hammer.  I laffed and laffed and laffed and am actually giggling about it right now just thinking about it.

I'd say your list is pretty much spot on.

Oh, Jericho and Chyna had a double pin situation in which it was decided that both of them would be Co-Champions and therefore they'd both hafta defend the belt and should the co-champion lose the belt, the other person lost too.

There was also a stipulation that if someone did wrest the title away from Jericho and Chyna that neither person would gain a title rematch, as the next person (#2 for IC Challenger) would then gain the #1 contender, and therefore Jericho and Chyna would be 3 and 4 (with whoever lost becoming 4). Of course, this was dropped from being mentioned ever again soon after it was mentioned.

I only remember this because while I didn't like Chyna and couldn't wait for her to get buried by Jericho (I was naive, what can I say), I thought the whole storyline itself was kinda intriguing and wasn't half-ass booked... Well, except for Chyna being there. And personally, I was more hoping Chyna or Jericho would lose the title and therefore we'd get a seperate match and Jericho would come away winning his feud match before going after the title.

Her winning the title from Jarrett still pisses me off.

Especially since I was in attendance. Teddy Long stares directly at Jarrett using the belt, counts the pin, then goes "Oops, sorry, you can't do that." And how the hell is a guitar a household appliance?

Yeah, that killed the title worse than Godfather's ever could.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I'm not sure about Von Erich. He was an unremarkable champ, but I don't think he makes this list. To me, The Mountie was the first guy in the title's history that was caused a "what the hell?" Everyone before that made sense. But it's clear that the Mountie wasn't designed to be a credible or long-term champ, so I think even he slides. Guys who were meant to succeed, but crashed and burned as champions should be the only ones to make the list.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I'd actually consider Jarrett's various reigns as champion on here. The guy was never over as a heel, but he had several lengthy reigns as champion. In the time I was watching, he was the first one to win the title where I thought the prestige of the title began to go downhill.

Thinking back to it, there weren't many other heels that could've made sense as the champion. Lord, their roster was awful then.

Von Erich was awful in the ring during his WWF run. It's very telling that Mr. Perfect couldn't even get a watchable match out of him. Plus his reign was everything that's wrong with wrestling as he should've been in rehab and getting counselling not being the No.2 man in the WWF.

There are other reigns like Road Dogg and Dean Douglas that were bad reigns but they can at least say they didn't lose the belt because the WWF didn't want the bad pub of them killing themselves while the champ.

Jarrett's reigns weren't really that bad. His run in 99 was pretty good until they jobbed him to Chyna. I'd argue he was the most over heel in the company during the summer. His mid 90s runs were lackluster but then his reigns were miles ahead of the horseshit that was going on with the WWF Title from Nash until Austin finally got the belt.

Guest DylanWaco

I enjoyed Jarrett's initial run with the belt. The 99 run was eh.

Von Erich was never good by the way. He was passable at times, but it's not likely he was a Lex Luger type of worker who amazingly used to good and then plummetted into the abyss of shit. Flair carrying him in Hawaii is still the most impressive thing I've ever seen a wrestler do.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

So, this thread was basically made to say yall hate Chyna?

She may suck but I liked the fued with Jarret and the co-champions thing, but then Harcore Holly got involved and shit jus stopped making sense all together.

Probably because it was the first title Piper had won after 7 years with the company where he was in a high-profile spot almost all the time, and he also dropped the belt in a pretty good match. The buildup to Hart/Piper at WM 8 was terrific. Great interviews from both.