Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-12-WCW-Thunder] Chris Candido & Juventud Guerrera & The Artist vs Shannon Moore & Crowbar & Lash LeRoux

soup23

Change is in the air at WCW supposedly. Meanwhile, David Flair is dancing for Paisley and Daphney crowbars his nuts. A fan also throws a beach ball into the ring. Action was pretty fun here but the booking was stupid as shit with the tag partners fighting each other. What a hoot. I really liked the dive train here and Daphney does get the best reaction of the whole match with a rana from the ropes. I was surprised with Candido getting pinned here but have no problem with Crowbar going over. **1/4

• 4 weeks later...

This was goofy in the right pro wrestling is goofy way. This required almost as much from the announcers as the wrestlers, so in that sense, it's something that works far better as a TV match than an arena match, and that showed, with Juventud Guerrera, the only star of any significance during the glory years in the match, getting the biggest reaction until Daphnee did her huracanrana. This was a disjointed mess, but it definitely had its moments, and the ring work itself was top notch within the confines of the convoluted story they were trying to get across.

• 5 weeks later...

A dropkick from Shannon to The Artist and there is already dissension in both teams with team mates shoving one another. Candido blocks a LeRoux frankensteiner with a short powerbomb, then accidentally knocks Paisley off the apron (no idea what she was doing up there) and into the arms of David Flair. He starts dancing trying to impress her but Daffney’s not impressed, and uses the crowbar between his legs to pull him back to her. Juvi with some knife edge chops to Moore and he unloads with a series of punches in the corner. Shannon reverses the Irish whip, knee to the mid-section and a ‘Rocker dropper’. Nice Northern Lights suplex by Crowbar on Juvi. A headscissors sends Crowbar to the floor and a dive train ends with an awesome top rope quebrada from Moore. Shannon with a sleeper on Crowbar before dropping him to the canvas (yup, his own partner), and Shane Helms climbs the turnbuckles for a frog splash. David Flair low blows him and Daffney with a top rope rana that gets the loudest reaction of anything we’ve seen so far. ‘Juvi Driver’ to Crowbar, but Candido breaks up the pin and throws Guerrera to the floor. Double DDT on Crowbar by Candido and The Artist, and now The Artist is the one breaking up the pin. Candido with a diving headbutt off the tope and The Artist grabs Charles Robinson to prevent him from making the count. Artist with a jumping DDT to Candido, face first suplex by Crowbar and he picks up the win for his team.

Considering the talent on show this was a huge disappointment. I know it is trying to build to the six way at Spring Stampede, but this was a cluster. Too many people at ringside, team mates fighting one another and the first time I’ve ever watched a match and by the end of it lost track of who was teaming with whom! The dive train was the lone highlight, although even there it looked like some of the wrestlers were just stood there waiting for the next one. Things don’t bode well at all if even the cruiserweights are having poor matches.

• 2 months later...

The action was fine with Juvi and Shannon Moore looking pretty solid here but man the booking and confusion was all over the place. I get what they were going for but this was just a little much I thought. Candido looked like he took a tough shot catching that Shannon Moore dive. Daphney really did get a big reaction but I was never a huge fan of her act. David Flair looks like such a dork at ringside here.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-12-WCW-Thunder] Chris Candido & Juventud Guerrera & The Artist vs Shannon Moore & Crowbar & Lash LeRoux