Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-15-WCW-Worldwide] Villano IV & Villano V vs Rave & Idol

soup23

This is the second match between these teams and the chemistry just isn't there. Lenny and Lodi aren't particularly good and the Villanos don't seem too motivated to do a lot besides just be bumpers for them. I think Lane would be better underneath as a seller as when the Villanos do get a bit of offense here, the match improves include a good tope by Villano IV. Also, I guess Lodi has changed his name to Rave which I have no recollection of. On commentary, Tenay calls himself Hollywood Mike Tenay based on his role in Ready to Rumble. Kill me. Hot tag to Rave and the Rave/Lane team win with an unimpressive move. Disappointing. *1/4

• 4 weeks later...

Lodi is actually Idol (Lodi backwards) and Lenny Lane is Rave. The announcers have no idea what they are doing, as usual. Kid Wikkid does the club gimmick way better and 3Count has the market cornered on the dancing/wrestling hybrid thing, so there's not much place for them, sadly. I've seen Lane show some promise at times, but it never lasted, and we don't see it here. I'm sure all these reinventions WCW put him through for reasons outside his control didn't help much.

• 4 weeks later...

Lane leapfrogs over V5 and Rave nails him with a right from the apron. Frankensteiner but no cover as Lane does his terrible Grandmaster Sexay dancing again. Same ‘Poetry in Motion’/bulldog off the middle spot as before. A sloppy looking double leg trip from XS followed by ‘Total Elimination’, and you can now add The Eliminators to the teams they are stealing from (although XS’s version looked nowhere near as good or damaging!). Nice drop toehold from V5 sends Lane head first into the middle turnbuckle, then a double press slam from the brothers dropping him throat first across the top rope. V4 throws him to the floor and a suicide dive out onto him. Reverse neckbreaker and Lodi is in to break up the pin. Lane elevates one of the Villanos over his head and onto his brother (like the last match) and a ridiculously hammy looking crawl to make the tag. Rave with a double lariat off the top and all four men are in the ring. XS shoot the Villanos into each other and Lane with a dropkick that sends one of them to the outside. Suplex/crossbody finisher and XS come out on top again.

Structure of the match is very similar to the previous one and you have the same main spots (‘Poetry in Motion’, bulldog off the middle, throwing one Villano onto the other, suplex/crossbody finisher), although they went with Lane as FIP this time. XS actually looked greener than the week before and it’s like they’re just regressing. Lane’s ‘hot tag’ was especially comically looking and their ‘Total Elimination’ was anything but. The Villanos at least seemed more motivated this time out. On a par with the first match, but I’d give this the slight edge due to the effort of the Villanos.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-15-WCW-Worldwide] Villano IV & Villano V vs Rave & Idol