Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-24-WCW-Nitro] Sting vs Vampiro (First Blood)

soup23

A feud I despised when it happened and it doesn’t hold up any better here. Hudson keeps insisting that Vamp put Sting straight to hell. Sting repels down and allows Vamp to attack taking off his harness. They fight for around two minutes until we get the shock ending of parlor tricks from Vamp with a blood substance coming down from the ceiling and soaking Sting. New Blood beats up Sting as the show closes and the puns are too much for me to handle. ½*

• 4 weeks later...

What crap. Russo stealing his own ideas and trying to make Vampiro some WCW version of Gangrel. Sting looks like he's sleepwalking in his matches at this point and the angle is awful. And why would any wrestling company do elevation stunts like this after Owen Hart? The WWF had the good sense to stop that crap at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it was an interesting visual I guess. I never watched this stuff unfold in real time when it was going on so it's mostly shocking to see matches that are legitimately not even matches at all. This is just a support to hang a dumb angle on. It just makes you wonder what exactly the end goals of these angles are. Match itself was nothing.

Sting drops down from the rafters for his entrance and seems to get stuck trying to free himself from his harness. Vampiro goes out to get (help?) him and they’re quickly back in the ring. They briefly fight, Sting throws him to the outside, Vampiro gets back in, rinse and repeat. After Sting throws him to the floor for the third time, Vampiro goes and stands on the announcer’s table, drags his thumb across his throat and a blood-like liquid falls from above and into the ring covering Sting. ‘Nail in the Coffin’ into the liquid and Shane Douglas, Chris Candido, Billy Kidman, Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner are all out. Six on one attack before they attach Sting back into his harness and get it raised off the floor a few feet so that the ‘blood’ covered Sting is left dangling as the show goes off the air.

Utter shite. I should’ve known that this wouldn’t have been a ‘first blood’ match and Russo would find some way to get out of it. Absolutely nothing positive to say here and this is very quickly becoming one depressing watch.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-24-WCW-Nitro] Sting vs Vampiro (First Blood)